Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct steps above.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS (F12 I believe).
Before you run UniBeast, make sure you format USB Drive (ideally USB 2.0) as GUID Partition type with Mac OS Extended Journaled.
When you run UniBeast, in the Bootloader Configuration screen make sure you choose UEFI Boot Mode.

Make sure you use a USB 2.0 port on the motherboard (not USB 3.0 just in case there are issues with your USB stick).

Thank you.

I have the latest BIOS F12.

I'll try to format the drive again and make another UniBeast stick. Can use UniBeast to make the drive from the same Mojave download?

Thank you.

I have the latest BIOS F12.

I'll try to format the drive again and make another UniBeast stick. Can use UniBeast to make the drive from the same Mojave download?
Yes.

I'm snowbirding at the moment and won't be able to upgrade Thunderball to 10.15.3. However, from what I've learned from reading about Catalina, I will probably stick with Mojave for the Thunderball system for a while. Once MultiBeast for Catalina comes out, I'll update MyHero II and that will give an indication what's required for my other systems.
Sup STORK!
I am definitely in the same boat as you. I see no reason to move forward with the Z77X-UP5-TH. Beyond 10.14.5 that is. If it ain’t broke with fix it till it is. ;):mrgreen:
As always a question. Has anyone using this board used a dual GPU GPU with success in Mac OS?

Hello, all.

I'm trying again. This is what I've done:
- Created a new UniBeast stick
- Refreshed the BIOS to the optimized settings
- Saved and restarted to boot back into the bios
- Set all of the settings as stated in the instructions
- F10 to boot the drive

This is where things got weird.

- Chose external at the Clover boot screen

I saw the apple logo, then it rebooted back into the Clover screen. No installation instructions, etc. I wasn't sure what to do here, so I waited a while, thinking it would boot all by itself. Nothing happened. I chose external again. The Apple logo appeared and then I got a circle with a slash through it.

Anyone know what that is about?

Since there were no options, I started up again and now I get the insert a bootable drive message. The UEFI option is no longer available for my USB stick.

I've tried to go back into the BIOS and set the optimized settings (f7) again and save and reboot back into the BIOS. But there is still no UEFI option. I'll try to configure the BIOS and see what happens.

I managed to reset the BIOS, and I plugged the UniBeast stick in a different USB port.

- reset all of the BIOS settings
- booted into the 'Beast
- at the Clover screen set it to external

I see the Apple logo for a few seconds, then it reboots the machine, and I'm back at the Clover screen, but nothing happens.

- I select external (again)

The logo appears and there is a status bar for a sec. It's about an eighth full, then it restarts the machine back to Clover. Nothing happens. I was expecting it to reboot many times on it's own.

- I select external (again).

Logo appears and the status bar is about an 8th full, where it left off. I wait.

I get the circle with a slash.

UPDATE: Read the posts about this, and I'm trying different ports. If that doesn't work, I'll try to find a USB 2 stick.

UPDATE: Read the posts about this, and I'm trying different ports. If that doesn't work, I'll try to find a USB 2 stick.
USB 3 stick is fine. Just make sure you plug it into the USB 2 port under the Ethernet port.

USB 3 stick is fine. Just make sure you plug it into the USB 2 port under the Ethernet port.

Thanks. I tried all the ports.

The USB 2 ports (by the Ethernet port) worked, but it made no progress. It showed the logo and the status bar was about 1/8th full or so and it just reloaded the machine many times and did the same thing (logo -> statu bar about 1/8th -> restart -> repeat). IT never made any progress and each time it restarted it booted into clover and I would need to manually select external. I never got to the installation screen. Getting verbose images. I booted in safe + verbose and just verbose. It was really hard to get a picture of just verbose b/c the machine scrolls quickly and then restarts. I'm not sure if I can get it to stop so I can take a pict of the text before it restarts. Any command for that?

Thanks. I tried all the ports.

The USB 2 ports (by the Ethernet port) worked, but it made no progress. It showed the logo and the status bar was about 1/8th full or so and it just reloaded the machine many times and did the same thing (logo -> statu bar about 1/8th -> restart -> repeat). IT never made any progress and each time it restarted it booted into clover and I would need to manually select external. I never got to the installation screen. Getting verbose images. I booted in safe + verbose and just verbose. It was really hard to get a picture of just verbose b/c the machine scrolls quickly and then restarts. I'm not sure if I can get it to stop so I can take a pict of the text before it restarts. Any command for that?

Seems like a reboot on kernel panic.

Edit the config.plist file on the USB stick's EFI folder and change the:
Boot->Arguments to -v keepsyms=1 dart=0 debug=0x100

That would stop the display of boot process on any kernel panic and prevent a reboot.
You can then take a photo of the frozen screen that might give a clue as to why there was a panic.

You can also do something similar (instead of editing the config.plist) from the Clover Boot menu bu selecting the the external USB drive and pressing the space-bar. You will see a bunch of options (that I cannot remember) that will allow you to select verbose, kernel panic, etc. Select those and arrow to the top and select "boot with the selected options"..or something like that.

Hi there.

Thanks for the uploads.

Okay I can see that the EHC renames are working as they should despite what Hackintool is telling you. :thumbup: This is something that has been seen before in other builds.

Otherwise, it looks as though given your particular set-up, everything is working fine.

However things may look incorrect because you are using the FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext. This has the effect of moving USB2 ports away from the XHC controller. So the XHC node in IORegistryExplorer only shows the 4x Intel USB3 ports along with their USB2 equivalents. All the other USB2 ports are on EH01/EH02.

Also, those two hubs hanging on SS03 and SS04 are the additional ports created by the VIA chipset.

What to do now? Nothing, unless you want to experiment by removing FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext (and rebuilding kextcaches) to see what difference that makes.

:)
Interesting. I did remove this ktext which I think I had installed with Multibeast. Just like you said now those USB3 ports are back under the XHC in IOReg. I'm still getting good speeds with my 60MB/sec CF card over USB3.

Also Hackintool now recognized 2 of the 6 USB ports in back, but only with my USB2 card reader.

It's funny how this differs from Stork's guide. I guess there are a few differences in hardware, but would that have an effect? Like you say, it could be the latest apple update changed something. At least the USB ports are working. and hopefully my fenvi t919 card that's on the way will work with airdrop / handoff, and i can get sleep / wake to work.

I'm going to do a fresh install with the latest Mojave installer and see. Will report back.

Thank you!

Hi @UtterDisbelief I finally tried a reinstalled mojave, and updated hackintool, uninstalled FakePCIID_XHCIMux. Still not seeing 15 USB ports activate in Hackintool like they do for Stork's Build. But IORegistry and Hackintool seem to be matching up. I'll attach screenshots. Either way it seems ok, like you said, I've even done the security update and I'm having no trouble with USB.

However, I am having trouble getting wake from sleep to work. The machine spins up but the screen stays black and never gets the graphics going. I thought maybe that had something to do with USB. Or maybe it has something to do with the fact that I have and ASM 1061 internal SATA expansion card running? (I'm running 2 SSDs 6 Drives 1 BD-RW) I don't think Stork's Build has that. I've tried searching the forums about wake from sleep and tried various boot flags like darkwake to no avail. I'm hoping for some of your guidance on tracking down this problem. Ideally, I would like to get Wake over LAN working so that I can use the machine as a file server, but it can sleep as well, but any wake from sleep would be nice.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 1.00.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 1.00.26 PM.png
    191 KB · Views: 50
  • Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 1.01.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 1.01.04 PM.png
    315.2 KB · Views: 57
  • Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 1.00.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 1.00.44 PM.png
    113.5 KB · Views: 70
Status