Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
But... While I am here. Can anyone recommend a power supply for this build? The one listed is discontinued and I would like to upgrade my existing power supply (which is 650W or something).

But... While I am here. Can anyone recommend a power supply for this build? The one listed is discontinued and I would like to upgrade my existing power supply (which is 650W or something).
Any of the PSUs in the Buyer's Guide will work.
Also, if I install Mojave on a new drive will I still be able to boot up 10.8 on the old drive?
Yes.

Hi Stork. Great Guide!

I'm running into trouble using Hackintool to make an SSDT for the USB ports. :banghead:

I installed the four rename patches with Hackintool, but now when I plug in my USB device, it has no effect on Hackintool, I can't see any new active ports. I have the padlock open.

I did notice that my three USB controllers are called XHC, EHC1, and EH02 whereas yours in your screenshot are XHC, EH01, and EH02. The rename does come through in IORegistry as EH01 and I can see the USB Drive being plugged into all the ports there.

I've been googling and reading for a while. I'm at a loss! Any help would be appreciated.

I'm also having trouble with wake from sleep. The fans and drives get going again, but the screen stays black. Maybe it's a USB issue too?

Edit: I'm attaching my problem reporting files from black.dragon74's script

Attachments

• debug_16512.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Hi Stork. Great Guide!

I'm running into trouble using Hackintool to make an SSDT for the USB ports. :banghead:

I installed the four rename patches with Hackintool, but now when I plug in my USB device, it has no effect on Hackintool, I can't see any new active ports. I have the padlock open.

I did notice that my three USB controllers are called XHC, EHC1, and EH02 whereas yours in your screenshot are XHC, EH01, and EH02. The rename does come through in IORegistry as EH01 and I can see the USB Drive being plugged into all the ports there.

I've been googling and reading for a while. I'm at a loss! Any help would be appreciated.

I'm also having trouble with wake from sleep. The fans and drives get going again, but the screen stays black. Maybe it's a USB issue too?

Edit: I'm attaching my problem reporting files from black.dragon74's script

Hi there :)

Okay, you are on Mojave 10.14.6 Supplemental Update 2 ...

First thing to do is open up SIP - at least temporarily. CsrActiveConfig is set at 0x3, try 0x67 which removes kext security and may allow USInjectAll to work properly. See what happens.

Notes:

1) Sometimes the Port-Limit Removal Patches will not work on these minor updates, along with the Security Updates. Depends on how much Apple has changed their code. We can get around this.

2) Your motherboard has a mix of Intel USB ports and VIA USB ports. Because the Z77 only has 4x USB3 ports manufacturers supplement them with extras from an add-on chipset. You can only configure your Intel ports.

What to do now:

Ideally we would need to see the IORegistryExplorer output file to see why that EHC1 controller is not being renamed as you do have the patch in config.plist.

At least post a screengrab of the main Hackintool USB window so we can see what's happening.

:)

Thank you for taking a look @UtterDisbelief :)

I tried going to CsrActiveConfig 0x67, but Hackintool shows the same behavior. Attaching Screen Shot of Hackintool, Ioreg output, config.plist, and screenshot of ktexts on EFI and /L/E

I tried my USB 2.0 card reader with a 2GB SD card "Small USB" in a port on the front of the machine as well as one in back. Hackintool showed no response, but you can see it in IOReg under AppleACPIPCI -> EH01@1D ...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 11.19.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 11.19.11 PM.png
    658.5 KB · Views: 49
  • grabunden-1210192324.ioreg
    4.1 MB · Views: 54
  • config.plist
    8.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 11.31.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 11.31.26 PM.png
    490.4 KB · Views: 51
Thank you for taking a look @UtterDisbelief :)

I tried going to CsrActiveConfig 0x67, but Hackintool shows the same behavior. Attaching Screen Shot of Hackintool, Ioreg output, config.plist, and screenshot of ktexts on EFI and /L/E

I tried my USB 2.0 card reader with a 2GB SD card "Small USB" in a port on the front of the machine as well as one in back. Hackintool showed no response, but you can see it in IOReg under AppleACPIPCI -> EH01@1D ...

Hi there.

Thanks for the uploads.

Okay I can see that the EHC renames are working as they should despite what Hackintool is telling you. :thumbup: This is something that has been seen before in other builds.

Otherwise, it looks as though given your particular set-up, everything is working fine.

However things may look incorrect because you are using the FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext. This has the effect of moving USB2 ports away from the XHC controller. So the XHC node in IORegistryExplorer only shows the 4x Intel USB3 ports along with their USB2 equivalents. All the other USB2 ports are on EH01/EH02.

Also, those two hubs hanging on SS03 and SS04 are the additional ports created by the VIA chipset.

What to do now? Nothing, unless you want to experiment by removing FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext (and rebuilding kextcaches) to see what difference that makes.

:)

What to do now? Nothing, unless you want to experiment by removing FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext (and rebuilding kextcaches) to see what difference that makes.

Interesting. I did remove this ktext which I think I had installed with Multibeast. Just like you said now those USB3 ports are back under the XHC in IOReg. I'm still getting good speeds with my 60MB/sec CF card over USB3.

Also Hackintool now recognized 2 of the 6 USB ports in back, but only with my USB2 card reader.

It's funny how this differs from Stork's guide. I guess there are a few differences in hardware, but would that have an effect? Like you say, it could be the latest apple update changed something. At least the USB ports are working. and hopefully my fenvi t919 card that's on the way will work with airdrop / handoff, and i can get sleep / wake to work.

I'm going to do a fresh install with the latest Mojave installer and see. Will report back.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back