Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
To people like me who could only get DisplayPort working on RX 580, the CSM settings in the BIOS were more tricky than I thought. I always had OS set to "Other OS". Since I bought this thing 7 years or so ago. So I forgot about the fact that the CSM setting disappears when OS is set to "Other OS". You need to change the OS to "Windows 8". (you can leave it here too, it works fine - Windows 8 WHQL is for testing purposes so there's no reason for us to use it.) Then the CSM setting will appear which you then of course disable. I thought there was no CSM setting on this board the whole time.......doh!

After that, then all outputs work (2 DP, 2 HDMI, 1 DVI). I have the Sapphire Pulse RX 580, BTW, (think it's v2). Despite it being natively supported, on one of the Mojave updates, they changed the framebuffer to have 6 outputs so I made a framebuffer patch for our card. Just paste this into your Kernel and Kext Patches in your clover config.plist:

Code:
<dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                AAQAAAQDAAAAAQEBAAAAABIEBgEAAAAAAAQAAAQDAAAA
                AQIBAAAAACIFBAMAAAAAAAgAAAQCAAAAAQMAAAAAABEC
                AQIAAAAAAAgAAAQCAAAAAQQAAAAAACEDBQQAAAAABAAA
                AAQAAAAAAQUAAAAAAAAAAwYAAAAAAAQAAAABAAAAAUYB
                AAAAACABAAAAAAAA
                </data>
                <key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
                <false/>
                <key>MatchOS</key>
                <string>10.14.x,10.15.x</string>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>AMD9500Controller</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                AAQAAAQDAAAAAQEBAAAAABIEAQEAAAAAAAQAAAQDAAAA
                AQIBAAAAACIFAgMAAAAAAAgAAAQCAAAAAQMAAAAAABEC
                AwIAAAAAAAgAAAQCAAAAAQQAAAAAACEDBAQAAAAABAAA
                AAQAAAAAAQUAAAAAABAABQYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
                AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
                </data>
            </dict>

Attached is the original file with the research and stuff. This patch above works for latest Mojave and Catalina, BTW.

So I finally have my machine up and running great. My 30 inch Apple display is connected via DVI to the RX580.

Tried connecting my 24 inch Dell via HDMI cable to DP connector as well as DVI to DP connector. The 2nd display shows up during the whole loading sequence and during log in then intermittently goes black then shows up again then goes black. Going to order a DP to DP cable so there are no adapters. Could it be anything else that is the issue?

Somethings not right. I click on the link and get Mojave in the Mac App Store. I click on Download and get a MacOS Mojave screen which says, "To set up the installation of Mojave click continue". I click Continue, then Agree, then Install. It seems to install for 5 minutes then reboots. Now I have a file in /Applications named Install macOS Mojave but its only 22.8 Mb (Shouldn't it be about 6 Gb?). When I run UniBeast I get the error message "Selected OS installer in incomplete"

What am I doing wrong here?

@Ghee_Whiz,

It's Apple's "stub" installer that they starting using with High Sierra. Try the following which I found in another long post:

you can fix this by doing the following:

You will need to recreate the full installer from the separate parts.

To do so, we will use the installer stub app to grab all the files from Apple and then abort the install before it does anything else.

Run the 19MB stub installer (/Applications/Install macOS Mojave).

Choose the install disk and click ‘install’ (it won’t actually install yet!).

It will download the remaining install files and place them under /macOS Install Data (i.e. look for the folder in the root of your hard drive ‘Macintosh HD’).

When it has finished downloading all it needs, the installer screen will then ask you to restart the Mac – but don’t! At this point STOP the install by quitting the installer app.

Next we will recreate the full installer from all the downloaded parts. This will restore the ability to create an install media USB.

Do the following:

Open Terminal and run: sudo -s
Enter admin credentials to gain root permissions.
Then copy and paste the following 3 commands:

mkdir /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/SharedSupport

cd /macOS\ Install\ Data

find . -mount | cpio -pvdm /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/SharedSupport

You now have a full installer package in your Applications folder!
Now, you can run UniBeast.

BTW, the above was procedures for High Sierra. I couldn't find the Mojave version of the above, but it's probably the same.

Reference:

So I finally have my machine up and running great. My 30 inch Apple display is connected via DVI to the RX580.

Tried connecting my 24 inch Dell via HDMI cable to DP connector as well as DVI to DP connector. The 2nd display shows up during the whole loading sequence and during log in then intermittently goes black then shows up again then goes black. Going to order a DP to DP cable so there are no adapters. Could it be anything else that is the issue?

Did you try the Clover patch on that post? The framebuffer doesn't match up exactly with our card anymore

@Ghee_Whiz,

It's Apple's "stub" installer that they starting using with High Sierra. Try the following which I found in another long post:

Now, you can run UniBeast.

BTW, the above was procedures for High Sierra. I couldn't find the Mojave version of the above, but it's probably the same.

Reference:

So I went back to Mojave but same outcome as before. I removed my add-on PCI SATA card and any other add-ons, but nothing changed. Any suggestions as to why my computer won't completely go to sleep? So far I:
Unchecked anything in Energy Settings that'd wake it up
Verified nothing was keeping it awake with pmset -g assertions
Verified nothing was keeping it awake in activity monitor
Removed all PCI cards other than graphics card
Tried removing graphics card, too, and using integrated graphics
Tried without custom DSDT
SMBIOS: 14,2 (tried going back to 13,2 but didn't change anything)
Kexts installed (to L/E): AHCI_3rdParty_eSATA, AHCI_3rdPart_Sata, AppleALC, AppleIntelE1000e, dAGPM modded for imac 14,2), FakePCIID, FakePCIID_XHCIMux, Lilu, LiluFriend, SMCProcessor, SMCSuperUI, USBInjectAll, VirtualSMC (tried FakeSMC and plugins instead of VirtualSMC/plugins but no change there either)
Clover Config: No fixes applied, auto SSDT gen, custom DSDT with PJALM patches for motherboard and usb device renames (without it, no audio device detected despite AppleALC), USB port limit patches, framebuffer patch for card, trim patch

Last edited:
What is the Intel graphics vram setting set to ?

32. I ended up just unplugging the Sata 3 PCI controller because I couldn't get it to work and plugging in the drives via other SATA ports on the motherboard.

To people like me who could only get DisplayPort working on RX 580, the CSM settings in the BIOS were more tricky than I thought. I always had OS set to "Other OS". Since I bought this thing 7 years or so ago. So I forgot about the fact that the CSM setting disappears when OS is set to "Other OS". You need to change the OS to "Windows 8". (you can leave it here too, it works fine - Windows 8 WHQL is for testing purposes so there's no reason for us to use it.) Then the CSM setting will appear which you then of course disable. I thought there was no CSM setting on this board the whole time.......doh!

After that, then all outputs work (2 DP, 2 HDMI, 1 DVI). I have the Sapphire Pulse RX 580, BTW, (think it's v2). Despite it being natively supported, on one of the Mojave updates, they changed the framebuffer to have 6 outputs so I made a framebuffer patch for our card. Just paste this into your Kernel and Kext Patches in your clover config.plist:

Code:
<dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                AAQAAAQDAAAAAQEBAAAAABIEBgEAAAAAAAQAAAQDAAAA
                AQIBAAAAACIFBAMAAAAAAAgAAAQCAAAAAQMAAAAAABEC
                AQIAAAAAAAgAAAQCAAAAAQQAAAAAACEDBQQAAAAABAAA
                AAQAAAAAAQUAAAAAAAAAAwYAAAAAAAQAAAABAAAAAUYB
                AAAAACABAAAAAAAA
                </data>
                <key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
                <false/>
                <key>MatchOS</key>
                <string>10.14.x,10.15.x</string>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>AMD9500Controller</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                AAQAAAQDAAAAAQEBAAAAABIEAQEAAAAAAAQAAAQDAAAA
                AQIBAAAAACIFAgMAAAAAAAgAAAQCAAAAAQMAAAAAABEC
                AwIAAAAAAAgAAAQCAAAAAQQAAAAAACEDBAQAAAAABAAA
                AAQAAAAAAQUAAAAAABAABQYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
                AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
                </data>
            </dict>

Attached is the original file with the research and stuff. This patch above works for latest Mojave and Catalina, BTW.

That worked perfectly! Second monitor up and running.

Last issue is the recognizing of SATA Drives.

I have 6 internal drives working (M.2 SSD + 5 other drives). I need a 7th if possible but can't get it to show up. I have power and a SATA cable going to it. Drive works when I plug it in via a toaster dock. Anything limiting me from doing this?

32. I ended up just unplugging the Sata 3 PCI controller because I couldn't get it to work and plugging in the drives via other SATA ports on the motherboard.

That worked perfectly! Second monitor up and running.

Last issue is the recognizing of SATA Drives.

I have 6 internal drives working (M.2 SSD + 5 other drives). I need a 7th if possible but can't get it to show up. I have power and a SATA cable going to it. Drive works when I plug it in via a toaster dock. Anything limiting me from doing this?
There you go. There's always something when building a Hackintosh. LOL

Is there anyway to add more than 32 GB RAM to this motherboard?

As per FAQ of Gigabyte site, the answer is no.

Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 19.58.32.png

Hello. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I have a similar build running 10.8.2 or 10.8.5... I guess the time has come and I'd like to upgrade my machine to Mojave. Does anyone have a link to upgrade instructions, assuming this is possible?

Hello. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I have a similar build running 10.8.2 or 10.8.5... I guess the time has come and I'd like to upgrade my machine to Mojave. Does anyone have a link to upgrade instructions, assuming this is possible?
Nevermind.

I just re-read the first page of this post! Excited!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back