Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the following system and it has been rock solid for 7 to 8 years. Pretty similar to this one...

Slugnet's Video Editor GA-Z77X-UD5H / i7-3770k / 32GB RAM / GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 660 Ti

Just upgraded to Mojave. I did a clean install but didn't touch BIOS. Did Multibeast on a whim before I found this build.

Everything seems to be working, minus my second monitor, which I can't figure out. It's just black. I should note that it worked in Mojave before I did Multibeast.

I ordered the RX 580 Pulse 8GB and should have that today or tomorrow. Right now the computer is a bit unusable - see attachment.

Here is the part where I am confused since it has been a few years - - -

Since I didn't follow Stork's first post, with BIOS & Multibeast, do I need to start over and do a clean install or does MB write over the current settings if I run it again?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 7.11.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 7.11.14 AM.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 70
@hendersonphoto, it's probably due to your GTX 650 Ti which needs the Nvidia drivers which are not available for Mojave.

See trs96's post below.

The 660 Ti should have drivers right within macOS Mojave. It's a Kepler 1st gen card.

It could possibly have a GK 106 core which is not favorable. Check that.

Screen Shot 25.jpg

@hendersonphoto, it's probably due to your GTX 650 Ti which needs the Nvidia drivers which are not available for Mojave.

See trs96's post below.

Thanks. I have a RX 580 Pulse 8GB coming today so that should solve that issue.

Can you speak to this since it has been a few years.....

Since I didn't follow Stork's first post, with BIOS & MultiBeast, do I need to start over and do a clean install or does MB write over the current settings if I run it again?

Thanks. I have a RX 580 Pulse 8GB coming today so that should solve that issue.

Can you speak to this since it has been a few years.....

Since I didn't follow Stork's first post, with BIOS & MultiBeast, do I need to start over and do a clean install or does MB write over the current settings if I run it again?
MultiBeast will check to see if the kext/driver is the same as it would install. However, if you are changing a MultiBeast option (s), you need to remove the driver(s)/kext9s) from your previous MultiBeast run.

However, if you don't have a lot of applications or have a backup before you updated, then I recommend you do a fresh install.

Lost a day of work trying to get the 580 to function. Can't even get past the Apple screen before it goes black. I followed everything and am really beginning to lose my sh*t. Is there a powerful graphics card that will work OOB?
What setting are you using in your UniBeast install disk? If you have already installed MultiBeast what kexts did you install? And, lastly are you using UniBeast on a USB to get back into your boot partition once you installed the RX580?

What setting are you using in your Unibeast install disk? If you have already installed Multibeast what kexts did you install? And, lastly are you using Unibeast on a USB to get back into your boot partition once you installed the RX580?

Is there a NVIDIA or AMD graphics card that will work OOB? I use 2 monitors (older Apple 30 inch cinema via DVI & 24 inch Dell via DVI or HDMI), pretty much only use Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop for programs, and don't edit video. Right now the system is running the latest Mojave (10.14.6). I can use my Macbook Pro in the meantime as I find a solution but would love to get the Hackintosh back up and running with little fuss.

Here is what I have done so far:

Before doing a clean install I plugged in the RX580 to see if it would work OOB. It gave me the black screen while starting up.

I then tried doing a clean install with the RX580 and the Apple screen would go black when installing.

I gave up on that and did the clean install on the 660ti.

Before starting I did the following:

:ch: (Optional) I updated to the F12j BIOS located at Tweaktown.com at the recommendation of several users in this thread. Here's the direct .zip Tweaktown download link.

:ch: Prepare the UniBeast USB thumb drive in accordance with the tonymacx86 Installation Guide for Mojave, Steps 1-2;
:ch: Download and put the following on the UniBeast Installation USB thumb drive:

Before I did the clean install I used these settings for BIOS:

:ch: Check your BIOS for the settings that thelostswede showed in his article;
:ch:In addition to thelostswede's BIOS setup, apply these BIOS settings to allow sleep/wake-up to operate properly, and USB ports to act correctly after wake-up (thanks to arehep - see his post here):
XHCI Pre-Boot Driver = Enabled
XHCI Mode =Smart Auto -> Sleep/wake-up works better set to Auto
Internal CPU PLL Over-voltage = Disable

I also tried different settings under Init Display First.

For Multibeast I used these settings:

:ch: Run MultiBeast for Mojave using the following configuration choices:
:ch: Quick Start > UEFI Boot Mode
:ch: Drivers > Audio > AppleALC
:ch: (Optional) Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC Plugins
:ch: (Optional) Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC HWMonitor Application
:ch: Drivers > Network > Intel > AppleIntelE1000e <--- Use the latest version
:ch: Drivers > USB > 7/8/9 Series USB Support
:ch: Drivers > USB > USBInjectAll
:ch: Drivers > USB > Remove XHCI USB Port Limit <--- Adds patch to remove XHCI USB Port Limit
:ch: Build <--- To see your full configuration
Note: the MultiBeast default System Definition is iMac14,2. I recommend you use the iMac14,2 SysDef for your installation and to get Mojave up and running. You can change it later if need be.

In my climb down the rabbit hole I found Stork's build with the RX580 and used this setting as well:

:ch: Customize -> Inject ATI <--- For use with RX 580

After Multibeast I did this:

:ch: For Sapphire RX 580 Pulse graphics card users:
:ch:Run DCPIManager. If you get this result, skip the rest of these instructions as you have an early, macOS supported Sapphire RX 580 Pulse. If you don't get this result, the proceed, otherwise you are good to go.

Add the FBName = Orinoco and Inject > ATI=true & Intel=True to config.plist which you can do with Clover Configurator or Xcode or PlistEditor Pro (which I use):

I then shut down the computer.

I unplugged the 660ti and put the RX580 back in. Booted. Same thing. About 1/2 through the Apple screen it just goes black.

Shut it down. Put both cards in. If I am connected to the 660 it starts fine. If I then take the HDMI or DVI cable and plug it into the RX580 I get a black screen. In DCPI manager with both plugged in, it only shows the 660.

So I shut it down again took out the 660, started it and when it got to the Clover startup page I went to options. It is seeing the card as a RX480.

Shut down again put the 660 back and added Lilu and WhatEverGreen with KextBeast. Put 580 back in and black screen again.

So at this point I can't even get past the black Apple screen no matter what I have tried. I even tried loading optimized settings in BIOS again and resetting all that. If I plug in the 660 the computer starts up fine.

Last edited:
Is there a NVIDIA or AMD graphics card that will work OOB? I use 2 monitors (older Apple 30 inch cinema via DVI & 24 inch Dell via DVI or HDMI), pretty much only use Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop for programs, and don't edit video. Right now the system is running the latest Mojave (10.14.6). I can use my Macbook Pro in the meantime as I find a solution but would love to get the Hackintosh back up and running with little fuss.

Here is what I have done so far:

Before doing a clean install I plugged in the RX580 to see if it would work OOB. It gave me the black screen while starting up.

I then tried doing a clean install with the RX580 and the Apple screen would go black when installing.

I gave up on that and did the clean install on the 660ti.

Before starting I did the following:

:ch: (Optional) I updated to the F12j BIOS located at Tweaktown.com at the recommendation of several users in this thread. Here's the direct .zip Tweaktown download link.

:ch: Prepare the UniBeast USB thumb drive in accordance with the tonymacx86 Installation Guide for Mojave, Steps 1-2;
:ch: Download and put the following on the UniBeast Installation USB thumb drive:

Before I did the clean install I used these settings for BIOS:

:ch: Check your BIOS for the settings that thelostswede showed in his article;
:ch:In addition to thelostswede's BIOS setup, apply these BIOS settings to allow sleep/wake-up to operate properly, and USB ports to act correctly after wake-up (thanks to arehep - see his post here):
XHCI Pre-Boot Driver = Enabled
XHCI Mode =Smart Auto -> Sleep/wake-up works better set to Auto
Internal CPU PLL Over-voltage = Disable

I also tried different settings under Init Display First.

For Multibeast I used these settings:

:ch: Run MultiBeast for Mojave using the following configuration choices:
:ch: Quick Start > UEFI Boot Mode
:ch: Drivers > Audio > AppleALC
:ch: (Optional) Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC Plugins
:ch: (Optional) Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC HWMonitor Application
:ch: Drivers > Network > Intel > AppleIntelE1000e <--- Use the latest version
:ch: Drivers > USB > 7/8/9 Series USB Support
:ch: Drivers > USB > USBInjectAll
:ch: Drivers > USB > Remove XHCI USB Port Limit <--- Adds patch to remove XHCI USB Port Limit
:ch: Build <--- To see your full configuration
Note: the MultiBeast default System Definition is iMac14,2. I recommend you use the iMac14,2 SysDef for your installation and to get Mojave up and running. You can change it later if need be.

In my climb down the rabbit hole I found Stork's build with the RX580 and used this setting as well:

:ch: Customize -> Inject ATI <--- For use with RX 580

After Multibeast I did this:

:ch: For Sapphire RX 580 Pulse graphics card users:
:ch:Run DCPIManager. If you get this result, skip the rest of these instructions as you have an early, macOS supported Sapphire RX 580 Pulse. If you don't get this result, the proceed, otherwise you are good to go.

Add the FBName = Orinoco and Inject > ATI=true & Intel=True to config.plist which you can do with Clover Configurator or Xcode or PlistEditor Pro (which I use):

I then shut down the computer.

I unplugged the 660ti and put the RX580 back in. Booted. Same thing. About 1/2 through the Apple screen it just goes black.

Shut it down. Put both cards in. If I am connected to the 660 it starts fine. If I then take the HDMI or DVI cable and plug it into the RX580 I get a black screen. In DCPI manager with both plugged in, it only shows the 660.

So I shut it down again took out the 660, started it and when it got to the Clover startup page I went to options. It is seeing the card as a RX480.

Shut down again put the 660 back and added Lilu and WhatEverGreen with KextBeast. Put 580 back in and black screen again.

So at this point I can't even get past the black Apple screen no matter what I have tried. I even tried loading optimized settings in BIOS again and resetting all that. If I plug in the 660 the computer starts up fine.

I had the same problem with DVI and HDMI input with/without patching framebuffer. The solution for me was to use the DP output (just get a DP to hdmi adapter at best buy or whatever - it's what I needed to do for my older monitor)

MultiBeast will check to see if the kext/driver is the same as it would install. However, if you are changing a MultiBeast option (s), you need to remove the driver(s)/kext9s) from your previous MultiBeast run.

However, if you don't have a lot of applications or have a backup before you updated, then I recommend you do a fresh install.

You update to Catalina yet? I have everything working on my end except sleep - display and audio go to sleep but the rest doesn't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back