Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I left to visit family for the Holiday, I test UniBeast for Mojave install. I didn't test Thunderbolt. (Truthfully, I forgot.) However, you don't need any extra kext. That being said, I've been reading about users with Thunderbolt 3 motherboards or PCIe cards. They have to boot into Windows first then into macOS. Same for 2009-2012 Mac Pro users with a Thunderbolt 3 PCIe card in their classic Mac Pros. So, this procedure might be a High Sierra and Mojave "Thing".

Keep me informed on your efforts. Unfortunately, I won't get back to Thunderball for a while.

One thing I have noticed is that I am getting an Ethernet network connection through my Caldigit TS2 hub, which is connected via the motherboards Thunderbolt ports. Just cant see any of my other ports to work on the hub. Now, unfortunately, she's not booting into Windows. So, I'll keep trying that.

As I recall, I had a similar issue with a Thunderbolt-connected Blackmagic Design 4x SSD Multidock and daisy-chained UAD Apollo 8. Something's going on where when I'd boot and use these devices in MacOS and then later in Windows 10, each OS or boot scheme will have a "memory" of the Thunderbolt devices to which it was connected. For me, it took powering down all of the devices and the disconnecting the TB cables. It may be that the chips in the cables are not wanting to "let go" between booting into different OS types. It was a PITA, and I swore off of doing that anymore. It's like I have to pick one or the other. Hope this helps. FWIW, I use only Apple TB2 and Apple TB2 to TB3 cables. The TB2 Cable Firmware Version is 1.0.16.

Before I left to visit family for the Holiday, I test UniBeast for Mojave install. I didn't test Thunderbolt. (Truthfully, I forgot.) However, you don't need any extra kext. That being said, I've been reading about users with Thunderbolt 3 motherboards or PCIe cards. They have to boot into Windows first then into macOS. Same for 2009-2012 Mac Pro users with a Thunderbolt 3 PCIe card in their classic Mac Pros. So, this procedure might be a High Sierra and Mojave "Thing".

Keep me informed on your efforts. Unfortunately, I won't get back to Thunderball for a while.

Hello, Stork. Are you saying we could go to Mojave easily? I wouldn't mind making the jump in the near future.
Also, TB3 add in cards with a 2009-2012 Mac Pro??? I am all ears for something like that.

Thank you, for all you do BTW. Most appreciated.

Hello, Stork. Are you saying we could go to Mojave easily? I wouldn't mind making the jump in the near future.
Mojave 10.14.3 is now out. The .3 versions of macOS is when I get serious about upgrading as the major bugs are usually all fixed. So, you can go for it.

Also, TB3 add in cards with a 2009-2012 Mac Pro??? I am all ears for something like that.
There are a couple of threads in the MacRumors' Mac Pro forum section on the subject.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/testing-tb3-aic-with-mp-5-1.2143042/

Thank you, for all you do BTW. Most appreciated.
Thank you.

I will check that out. So, far the process seems to be a lot of work arounds for getting external TB drive RAIDS, and/or monitors to work. :(
Maybe, that's just the way I am seeing it though?
I see it as an experiment...not for the prosumer who can't afford to lose data.

I see it as an experiment...not for the prosumer who can't afford to lose data.

Yup, that's why I will stick to the Z77 (Thunderball) Hackintosh. It seems to work well. Other then the mSATA port on the board not working. Any ideas???
Oh, have you all ever figured out the hot swap issues? I can't get my monitor to work on the miniDisplay/TB ports and I can't add any TB peripherals after boot. :(

Yup, that's why I will stick to the Z77 (Thunderball) Hackintosh. It seems to work well. Other then the mSATA port on the board not working. Any ideas???
Oh, have you all ever figured out the hot swap issues? I can't get my monitor to work on the miniDisplay/TB ports and I can't add any TB peripherals after boot. :(
I haven't used the mSATA in years. Sorry 'bout that. (I won't be able to check it for a while...I'm a snowbird.)

As for mDP/TB monitor connections - I never used it as I have a graphics card.

You don't have hot swap capability with this version of macOS and the Z77. You have to have your TB peripherals plugged in at cold boot time.

I haven't used the mSATA in years. Sorry 'bout that. (I won't be able to check it for a while...I'm a snowbird.)

As for mDP/TB monitor connections - I never used it as I have a graphics card.

You don't have hot swap capability with this version of macOS and the Z77. You have to have your TB peripherals plugged in at cold boot time.

It's all good on the mSATA port and the Hot swap issues. It isn't the most important features of the board. :(
I have a GPU as well, but don't I have to set the Intel HD4000 as primary to get all the GPUs working at the same time? Meaning, the Intel HD4000 for QuickSync and then the AMD GPUs for FCPX acceleration of effects? Maybe, I am confused on this. I plug into the HD4000 on boot up and then swap to the AMD GPUs after booting up. Should, I only be plugged into the AMD GPUs on boot up?

As always your input and help is appreciated.

It's all good on the mSATA port and the Hot swap issues. It isn't the most important features of the board. :(
I have a GPU as well, but don't I have to set the Intel HD4000 as primary to get all the GPUs working at the same time? Meaning, the Intel HD4000 for QuickSync and then the AMD GPUs for FCPX acceleration of effects? Maybe, I am confused on this. I plug into the HD4000 on boot up and then swap to the AMD GPUs after booting up. Should, I only be plugged into the AMD GPUs on boot up?

As always your input and help is appreciated.
IIRC, injecting iGPU (in config.plist) is only for Airplay (and something else). I run two monitors using the GTX 760 w/o any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back