Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
No idea of what you should do next. Unfortunately, I'm not at home with Thunderball as I'm traveling. Let me know if you find a solution. Good Luck!

Well enjoy your travels Stork. In the end I’ve probably learnt more in the last 48 hours about the software and processes involved in getting a Hack to run. That in itself, despite the frustrations, has been worth it.

Somehow though I think I’ll be doing a clean install on that 970 EVO when it turns up and migrating from this now High Sierra build. I’m thinking there may just be a little too much rubbish hanging around from all the previous builds ... which somehow I just don’t think I’m technically knowledgeable enough to get solutions for. Well in the time I have availed.

In that vain I’d really like to say thanks for all the effort you’ve put into this thread as it’s kept me going with my Hack for years now. Big thumbs up for that :) Five years on and “Silence is Golden” is still a stupidly fast Mac. Well for what I do on it.

Anyway, it’s past midnight my end of the world. Too many late nights lately ... I’ll start again fresh another day and give it a damn good effort to find a solution(s).

Edit - Forgot the R9 280x had two MDp out. So two screens again. Not sure why it doesn’t like the HDMI out ATM, worked in Sierra but don’t care really. A problem for a different day.

Further info, turns out MST works now which it didn't previously. As such, I now have the two screens running off a single mDP and daisy chained to the 2nd screen. Using two Dell U2415H screens from AMD R280x graphic card.

1. [SOLVED] Audio issue was no audio_ID. Used Toledo guide and Clover injection to make ID 1. Despite all the pain this has been so worthwhile. I actually feel like I'm understanding what needs to be done rather than muddling my way through.
  2. [SOLVED] using X-Code and removed boot arguments from config.plist so no more permenant verbose boot up.
  3. Next is HDMI audio and to sort out this HDMI out display issue.

Last edited:
Well I really like throwing myself into the deep end ... got the Samsung EVO 970 500 Gb. Use Simplecon M2 to Pcie x 4 adaptor and it was seen immediately. Went into W10 and checked it had latest firmware. The without thinking I formatted to APFS.

Interesting moments ...

1. Diskutil DOES NOT show HFS formatting now disk is APFS ... I was like WTF.
  2. Before rebooting Diskutil wouldn't show EFI. Did on reboot.
  3. Clover configurator doesn't see the EFI on 970 to mount. Neither does EFI Mounter v3. This is despite Diskutil showing d1s1 as EFI.
    /dev/disk1 (external):
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme 500.1 GB disk1
    1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
    2: Apple_APFS Container disk4 499.9 GB disk1s2
What have I done ... :(

OK ... found answer for converting back see https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-revert-back-to-apples-hfs-from-apfs/

Well I've converted back to HFS+j, I can see the drive when I boot off the original EVO 850 SSD, Carbon Copy cloned High Sierra to the 970. Copied across the EFI folder from one tot he other. However, I can't see the drive in the BIOS nor can I see it when Clover bootloader but I can see the 970 recovery disk in Clover. It's in the same slot that Stork used.

Strangely it's shown with a removable media icon but in system report it's:

Apple SSD Controller:

Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500GB:

Capacity: 500.11 GB (500,107,862,016 bytes)
TRIM Support: Yes
Model: Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500GB
Revision: 1B2QEXE7
Serial Number: S466NX0K437663M
Link Width: x4
Link Speed: 8.0 GT/s
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk0
Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
Removable Media: No

Any ideas anyone?

Last edited:
Don't know why you can't see it in the BIOS,.

Yeah, it shows up as an external drive. I'm just living with it.

Don't know why you can't see it in the BIOS,.

Yeah, it shows up as an external drive. I'm just living with it.

It turns out it is being seen in BIOS I just didn’t recognise that it would be labelled “UEFI: Hardrive” as I was expecting the same labelling as other Samsung drives.

What it isn’t doing is being seen by Clover ... despite the Recovery drive being seen. It doesn’t matter if I use the USB recovery or a HD based Clover it just doesn’t see it.

Today I’m going to remove access to all the other drives after placing a different Clover theme on the 970’s EFI to make it instantly recognisable (currently its the same theme as the 850 SSD). I’m then going to try different PCIe slots and also try the recently updated modified Tweaktown f12j BIOS from the thread where you asked “name evading me” to inject that BIOS.

I’m also going to look at the kexts in Clover and see if that relates to the issue of not being seen in The boot menu.

Here is a better description AFTER I realised that the drive was visible in the f12j BIOS.

Jul 27, 2018 at 7:39 PM#45
Can't boot to High Sierra on Samsung 970 EVO | i7-3770K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | AMD R9 280X

I can't boot from an Samsung 970 EVO with a High Sierra install. It's formatted as HFS not APFS. I can see the drive and access it when in High Sierra when I boot off the original EVO 850 SSD High Sierra system drive, Carbon Copy cloned High Sierra to the 970. Copied across the EFI folder from one to the other. However, I can't see the drive in the BIOS [Edit - After reading the first post, If the drive is listed as just UEFI-Harddrive I can see it in BIOS but seems I can't boot from it in clover] nor can I see it when Clover bootloader but I can see the 970 recovery disk in Clover. It's in the same slot that Stork used in his GA-Z77X-UP5-TH build.

Strangely it's shown with a removable media icon when I boot into the Samsung 850 EVO SSD but in system report it's:

(EDIT - Stork confirms it’s reported as external on his build as well).

Apple SSD Controller:

Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500GB:

Capacity: 500.11 GB (500,107,862,016 bytes)
TRIM Support: Yes
Model: Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500GB
Revision: 1B2QEXE7
Serial Number: S466NX0K437663M
Link Width: x4
Link Speed: 8.0 GT/s
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk0
Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
Removable Media: No

Any ideas anyone?

Using this adapter ... https://www.simplecom.com.au/simple...y-to-pci-e-x4-and-sata-6g-expansion-card.html

Updated info:

1. BIOS "sometimes" sees drive in BIOS setup. Currently does not. No idea why. On Tweaktown f12j ATM.

[SOLVED] See https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...me-on-gaz77xup5-th.201508/page-5#post-1785417

Essentially used sksksk1 further modded f12j BIOS (attached to this post). Worked immediately.

In BIOS now reported as UEFI OS Samsung 970 EVO rather than vague UEFI Harddrive when it showed up on Tweaktown BIOS if at all. This was probably the most frustrating aspect of original Tweaktown f12j BIOS as on some occasions the 970 wasn’t seen by the BIOS. On other occasions it was ...

Still seen as external drive ... care factor zero. Getting speed result of approx 2500 Write / 2800 Read.

Attachments

• z77xup5th_mod9_nvme_12j.bin.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Stork - I was wondering why you suggest an UEFI boot mode + Emulated NVRAM?

When going through the iMessage fixes I tested for NVRAM and it seemed to work? Unless I stuffed up testing completely? However, I don't use emulated NVRAM Clover and iMessage works.

I ask as I'm testing a Mojave build on a spare SSD. As a comment on that the Mojave build has found both the motherboard Marvell AHCI SATA controller and my IoCrest PCIe SATA labelled as generic, and working, before Multibeast install.

Screen Shot 2018-07-30 at 2.14.39 am.png

Anyone wanting to see Mojave (Beta) experience see [SUCCESS] i7-3770K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | AMD R9 280x | 32 Gb 2133 Ghz

Last edited:
Stork - I was wondering why you suggest an UEFI boot mode + Emulated NVRAM?
I have a GTX 760 that requires the Nvidia drivers. Thus, the MultiBeast option you referenced. I did note that the "UEFI boot mode + Emulated NVRAM" bootloader option was for Nvidia card users that require the Nvidia drivers.

Hi Stork,

Since last week, boot has become super slow, and USB3 ports seems like USB2 speed, even though are recognised as USB3.
Any clue about what is happening?

I'm running 10.13.4, how can I update to 10.13.6?
When I upgraded to 10.13.6, I abandoned the use of the Realtek audio option in MultiBeast. Instead, I used the AppleLDA option that now doesn't present the problem of having to run MultiBeast twice.

:ch: Download the 10.13.6 apfs.efi from here. Mount your EFI partition and replace the apfs.efi in the /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ folder.
:ch: Check to see that CodecCommander.kext in /Library/Extensions/ folder is version 2.63. If not, download, unzip, place on the Desktop (make sure no other kexts are on the Desktop) and run KextBeast.
:ch: Download the 10.13.6 Combo Update and run it. It will reboot several times.
:ch: Run MultiBeast v10.4.0 with the following configuration choices (for AMD graphics cards):
:ch: Quick Start > UEFI Boot Mode
:ch: Drivers > Audio > AppleALC
:ch: (Optional) Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC Plugins
:ch: (Optional) Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC HWMonitor Application
:ch: Drivers > Network > Intel > AppleIntelE1000e <--- Use the latest version
:ch: Drivers > USB > 7/8/9 Series USB Support
:ch: Drivers > USB > USBInjectAll
:ch: Drivers > USB > Remove XHCI USB Port Limit <--- Adds PMHeart’s patch to remove XHCI USB Port Limit
:ch: Build <--- To see your full configuration
Note: MultiBeast for High Sierra default System Definition is iMac14,2. I recommend you use the iMac14,2 SysDef for your installation and to get Sierra up and running. You can change it later if need be.​
:ch: Install​
:ch:Upon reaching the Desktop, you should have audio which will survive wake-up from sleep. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back