Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be interested to read your experience of updating to HS. I recently (and so smoothly) updated to Sierra but have read in these forums folks having issues with the HS update on our board. Hence, I've steered clear to date.

BTW, I'll update Thunderball to High Sierra 10.13.4 later next week after I return from Spring break.

Shhhhhh...Updated versions of UniBeast and MultiBeast will be due out later next week...shhhhh. :thumbup:

Stork and or anyone else,

I've recently lost a output on my graphics card so I used a different output port to run my two screens. However it continues to "lose" a screen on startups which when I disconnect and reconnect it returns. However, I'm now considering replacing the graphics card.

Have any advice? The machine is a dual boot with Windows 10, I do play "some" games but not many. Currently on Sierra with a very stable build. Am considering moving to High Sierra but in no rush.
I assume you suspect a h/w fault when you say you loose output and looking to replace your gfx card ?

It depends on what you want to do with your system.
For example if you are video editing, then your choice fix card depends on which App you are going to use:
Adobe => Nvidia
FCPX/iMovie => AMD

I had a 650Ti it was fine but as soon I tried to use FCPX, it was a dog - very slow rendering, etc. Unusable.
As a test, I tried it with Adobe Premier and it was fine -- not lighting fast but useable. But I do not use Adobe.

Recently I bought an AMD RX580. With FCPX it's great. Very smooth & fast, very useable.
I am on 10.13.4.

Last edited:
I will be interested to read your experience of updating to HS. I recently (and so smoothly) updated to Sierra but have read in these forums folks having issues with the HS update on our board. Hence, I've steered clear to date.
I updated mine a while back and now on 10.13.4.
No issues at all.
All my USB3's work fine.
Dual boot Windows 10 (which I fire up occasionally )
Added a Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8GB AMD gfx card that boots OOB. Need to add a few tweaks to get HDMI audio & H.264 encoding but it's great.
I overclock to 4.8Ghz with no issues. GB4 score is around 17.7k.
Power management is great (using XCPM).

My install method was not Unibeast or Multibeast but using basic steps to create Clover USB Installer.
I have my own DSDT.aml & SSDT.
My update method is always download and use Combo Update (one download for 3 hacks).

I updated mine a while back and now on 10.13.4.
No issues at all.
All my USB3's work fine.
Dual boot Windows 10 (which I fire up occasionally )
Added a Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8GB AMD gfx card that boots OOB. Need to add a few tweaks to get HDMI audio & H.264 encoding but it's great.
I overclock to 4.8Ghz with no issues. GB4 score is around 17.7k.
Power management is great (using XCPM).

My install method was not Unibeast or Multibeast but using basic steps to create Clover USB Installer.
I have my own DSDT.aml & SSDT.
My update method is always download and use Combo Update (one download for 3 hacks).

That's great to hear. I don't mind eeking as much life out of this box as possible. I can hold out until the eight-core 9700k's are available. I found a 4.5GHz OC was my sweet spot and a 15.7k score is... fine. I mean, good.

Also good to know how smooth the RX580 in FCPX. I've been nursing my dual 7970's and BruceX at 16 seconds, but I am also crashing FCPX a bit more now under Sierra than El Captain. Odd. Sounds like I'm looking forward to HS.

Do you want a new, current graphics card or a used, last year's graphics card?

I'm currently using a used EVGA GTX 770 in Thunderball. It doesn't require the Nividia drivers. (I've not updated my build description as it hasn't really changed anything in the OP.) The GTX 770 is about equivalent to a AMD 280X.

I would stay away from the GTX 10x0 cards at the current time as the current Nvidia drivers are causing some users problems (see the Graphics forum section). A used GTX 970 is also a good graphics card, but it also requires the Nvidia drivers, but I haven't read of any GTX 970 user having problems with the latest Nvidia drivers.

BTW, I'll update Thunderball to High Sierra 10.13.4 later next week after I return from Spring break.

I was presuming to purchase new and had a budget in mind of $350 AUD but that could be changed for ease of install.

I assume you suspect a h/w fault when you say you loose output and looking to replace your gfx card ?

It depends on what you want to do with your system.
For example if you are video editing, then your choice fix card depends on which App you are going to use:
Adobe => Nvidia
FCPX/iMovie => AMD

I had a 650Ti it was fine but as soon I tried to use FCPX, it was a dog - very slow rendering, etc. Unusable.
As a test, I tried it with Adobe Premier and it was fine -- not lighting fast but useable. But I do not use Adobe.

Recently I bought an AMD RX580. With FCPX it's great. Very smooth & fast, very useable.
I am on 10.13.4.

The failed port had screen ripping. It occured after months of no problem and wasn't associated with a update ... the port that drops the screen goes blank and then, as noted, if I physically remove the cable from the card and reinstall the screen returns. So yes ... I certainly believe it is a hardware fault with the graphics card.

The only program of note that I use is FCPX so I'm assuming to continue with AMD v Intel.

Having read up some more of late it seems a more difficult route.

I'll update Thunderball to High Sierra 10.13.4 later next week after I return from Spring break.

Looking forward to this so I can make the jump as well.

giphy.gif

I've been attempting to update from 10.12.6 (which works great, BTW) to 10.13.4. I've run into problems and will hold off posting the update procedures until MultiBeast is updated to 10.3.0. So, stay tuned. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Hi,
I'm trying to update my build to 10.13.4 and change the GPU to Nitro RX 580.
For my usual jobs I use Davinci Resolve and After Effects.
Any advice, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back