Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
When it's something that happens every time it is possible for ordinary mortal of the problem found

but when it's random as very difficult found fewer know the great lines of code and processes

it may do so for two days in a row, and not after one month

Boot arg <-xcpm> I have no idea what is config.plist I found a site I do not know or for that mainboard

there no rules sore problems with this mainboard without being obliged to make a patched dsdt

Since my Yosemite rig is working fine and I learned that early upgrades usually cause problems I decided to try installing El Capitan in a virtual machine using Oracle VirtualBox on my Yosemite Hackintosh.
I prepared the USB stick using the guide, but can't get VirtualBox to boot from USB :banghead:

I read many forum posts about installing OS X but they all refer to the guides using USB boot.
According to Oracle documentation VirtualBox does not support booting from USB.
I tried to convert the USB install to an ISO image and let VirtualBox boot from CD, but I can't get this to work either: VirtualBox errors out with "Failed to open disk image file".

How can I solve this? Help is very much appreciated.

How can I solve this? Help is very much appreciated.

Just install El Cap onto a separate HDD or SSD. We don't offer any support for
running OS X in a VM.

I decided to upgrade my SSD so I have additional storage space. In doing so I decided to install El Capitan (10.11.2) on the new SSD while leaving my existing install/SSD alone, just to see how well (or not) the system behaves.
System was behaving so well I decided to migrate all my files and applications over from the original install to the new one.
I went through the various recommendations to get iMessage working. I was able to get it working for the Admin user, however when I attempt to login on my wife's side I get the message "You cannot sign in to iMessage on this Mac at this time....to contact Apple Support and provide the code below."
I spent over an hour on the phone with customer support and they can't get it to work. I felt completely uncomfortable with this process since I am trying to hide the fact that this is a hack. They kept questioning the serial number.
They then wanted to see my screen which I reluctantly allowed. Still couldn't get it to work. Support then requested that I download a program which generates an image of my system plus log files. I agreed to this, however as it took a long time to create I said I would send the files once it completed.
Questions I have are:
1. Is there a way I can get iMessage to work on my wife's side (my side is working) without dealing with Apple's customer support any further than i already have? I performed the same step on both logins and it worked flawlessly on the Admin user side but is a big snag on my wife's side for some reason.
2. I am reluctant to send the image files since it most likely will divulge that this is a hack. Do you agree with this assessment?

One other note. On my install and configuration of El Capitan the graphics card (GTX 660) is displaying 0 MB. Do you recommend installing the alternate Geforce drivers so that the system registers the correct card memory?

Any suggestions that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

What a lack luster #800 post...

I've relied on Stork a lot since starting with this motherboard over two years ago. Thank you!

Recently upgraded gpu, bios to f12, and to El Capitan via Chimera/Multibeast from perfect functioning 10.10.2 with a 5870. Wanted the additional hp for more work in fcpx. No longer had a Yosemite installer and was unable to create an EFI partition to make the 7970 work nicely with Yosemite. grrrrr. But I do now have a BruceX of 32 seconds.

Followed the 10.11 guide and built in board specifics and had the easiest x86 install ever. Cannot emphasize enough the need for patience and being methodical as you work through the steps, combining the guides and what's specific to your board appropriately.

Cloned my 10.11 drive to begin to play with Clover on the copy. Started with Clover initially and was relieved when the new Uni-/Multibeast arrived.

All USB's working but also only at USB 2 speeds. Living with it for now. Hopeful for Stork/ReHabMan's efforts.

Thunderbolt has same functionality as it did under 10.10. Enabled TRIM via trimforce in terminal. No issues. Although my Capture One catalogs open really slowly. No issues with any other apps that I've noticed.

So, USB 3 is all that's hanging.

Curious about the benefit of f12j from those who have done it.

p.s. wake from sleep has been lost with thru this update too. thoughts?

...Curious about the benefit of f12j from those who have done it....

have only good experiences with f12j mod 9 (and several previous tweak-town builds on different gig-boards)... all low level cumulative micro-code inserts, but it/they have always behaved very well (up5th most specifically)... between all the os-boots I put this thing through - osx, unix, linux, win - it has NEVER looked at me funny or made a bit-mess...

thunderbolt consistent on all those os-builds as well... usb3 speeds??? - hey it's a hack - hurry up and wait... sleep? - I don't bother/don't allow sleeping a box - too many anomalies/pitfalls to various os-sleep/restart implementations, so eff that...

as I posted before, the tweaktown crowd picks it up after gigabyte has moved on and left it flopping on the bit floor...

have only good experiences with f12j mod 9 (and several previous tweak-town builds on different gig-boards)... all low level cumulative micro-code inserts, but it/they have always behaved very well (up5th most specifically)... between all the os-boots I put this thing through - osx, unix, linux, win - it has NEVER looked at me funny or made a bit-mess...

thunderbolt consistent on all those os-builds as well... usb3 speeds??? - hey it's a hack - hurry up and wait... sleep? - I don't bother/don't allow sleeping a box - too many anomalies/pitfalls to various os-sleep/restart implementations, so eff that...

as I posted before, the tweaktown crowd picks it up after gigabyte has moved on and left it flopping on the bit floor...

Got it. Thanks. I'll give it a whirl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back