Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Yosemite

Can't wait to try Clover as well, now that we have a user friendly installer for both Yosemite and El Capitan. :)

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Yosemite

My main question is how to get the temp sensors to work properly with El Cap. I've always had to use MacPro3,1 to get the sensors to work using Chimera and Multibeast. But now going to Clover and well, my newness to that process...I can't get the sensors to show up like they did in iStat Menu. I'm too picky I guess, but that sensor readout is whats bugging me the most right now. So far everything else in El Cap seemed to be fine with the stock install guide from tony, just learning Clover is odd... So I'd love to hear if you use iStat or anything else to look at temps as I'm almost ready to give up after 4 hours late last night :(

I updated Thunderball to El Capitan (10.11) by using UniBeast 6 and the Post Install pkg as outlined in tonymacx86's Guide http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...-el-capitan-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

I installed El Capitan by doing a fresh install on a separate drive and used the Migration Assistant to move my applications and user folders from my Mavericks installation during the 2nd phase of the installation process. By using the Migration Assistant, I didn't have to update my Mavericks installation directly, thus, by passing any problems installing El Capitan on my Mavericks production installation. Please note, when using Migration Assistant, do not leave Other Files checked - uncheck it or your installation won't work.

For this system, you'll need to do a few extra steps when following tony's above guide.
:ch: Print out the tonymacx86 Guide so you can check off each step to ensure that you have read the step, understand what needs to be done and not inadvertently miss a step - it happens(!);
:ch: Print out this post so you can consult it as you proceed with the installation;
:ch: After creating the USB installer thumb drive, put on the required El Capitan Post Install Tools, Clover package, Clover Configurator and toleda's CloverALC110 script zip files - also put EFI Mounter v2 application on the drive (it's located in the Download menu > Download Index . Community Software);
:ch: Shut down the system and disconnect every drive but the drive for El Capitan unless you're going to use Migration Assistant like I did - then only leave that migration drive connected along with the new installation drive;
:ch: The USB installer thumb drive will only work in the Back Panel USB 2 ports in the same stack as the eSATA , left of the stack with the Ethernet plug;
:ch: Boot into the BIOS and
:ch: Change the BIOS' BIOS Features > Boot Mode Selection to UEFI and Legacy. Keep this setting throughout installing (booting with the USB installer thumb drive;
:ch: While in the BIOS, define the USB installer thumb drive as the priority boot drive (Boot Option Priorities) as this will save you from hitting F12 and select the USB installer thumb drive each time the installation reboots.

Important: after completing the installation using tony's Guide, but before you run the Post Installer and Clover pkgs,
:ch: Open the Security & Privacy Preference Pane in System Preferences, which is located in your Dock (the following procedure is location in Post #1);
:ch: Select the General Tab;
:ch: In the lower left corner, click on the padlock and type in your Admin username & password;
:ch: Click on the "Anywhere" radio button under "Allow applications and downloaded from:"; and
:ch: Close the System Preferences window.

Now, cick on the About This Mac to see what is your System Definition (SysDef) which Clover selected for you. My SysDef was iMac13,2 which is probably good for now. You will need to run Clover Configurator if you want to use iMessage:
:ch: Enter the Terminal and enter
Code:
diskutil list
and note the drive diskxs1 designation for your El Capitan drive - mine was disk0s1;
:ch: Mount your EFI drive partition using EFI Mounter v2 application choosing the diskxs1 drive partion you found in the above step;
:ch: Open Clover Configuator and (even though it opens a config.plist file) go to the File > Open and select your config.plist on your El Capitan EFI partition which you mounted in the previous step;
:ch: Click on the SMBIOS menu item in the left menu column;
:ch: Check to see if it has the iMac13,2 defined (I have an i5-3570K);
:ch: Click the Wizard (wand) icon on the right and redefine to the iMac13,2 System Definition;
:ch: On the right side of the window, click three times on the Shake button for both Week of Manufacture and Unit number, then pick OK;
:ch: File > Save; and
:ch: Close Clover Configurator.

Finally, boot into the BIOS and change the BIOS' Boot Mode Selection parameter from UEFI and Legacy to UEFI (only). If you forget to do make this change, your system will get into a reboot cycle. AND, change your boot drive from the USB installer thumb drive to your El Capitan drive. :thumbup:

Update: I've tested which USB ports are working. My Z77X-UP5 TH motherboard is Revision 1 (Rev 1). According to the Z77X-UP5 TH users manual, the Rev 1 motherboard has:
Chipset: [Intel]
- Up to 2 USB 3.0/2.0 ports (available through the internal USB headers)
- Up to 6 USB 2.0/1.1 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB headers)​
Chipset +2 VIA VL810 Hubs:
- Up to 8 USB 3.0/2.0 ports (4 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB headers)​

On the Back Panel, the two USB 3 ports in the stack with the HDMI port (next to the D-Sub and DVI connectors stack) work as do the two USB 2 ports in the stack with the eSATA port. The last two USB 3 ports in the stack with the Ethernet port do not work and are probably the ports connected to the VIA chipset.

On the Front Panel, only the single USB 3 port on the NZXT H2 case works (Intel chipset). The three USB 2 ports do not work (VIA chipset). This occurs no matter which of the three Front Panel USB 3/2 headers you use.

So, I have one working USB 3/2 port on the Front Panel, and two working USB 3/2 ports and two working USB 2 ports on the Back Panel. Would it nice to have all of them working?...yeah, but that's more than I use, anyway. :)

Again, the above is for the Rev 1 motherboard.

I can't get the timeout to auto boot. I set it in clover configurator too.

I have tested the USB 3/2 ports and have noted which ports work in the update to Post #746.

I've got everything working on el capitan except audio after waking from sleep. Does anyone have this problem or any idea how to fix it?

I can't get the timeout to auto boot. I set it in clover configurator too.

Not sure which Clover config file to use

• EFI/CLOVER/config.plist
  • On your EFI partition on your system drive for UEFI booting
  • On your system partition for Legacy booting

System Works but Doesn't Start OS X Automatically from Clover Menu
Edit EFI/CLOVER/config.plist and put the name you gave your El Capitan drive in
​Boot/DefaultVolume and then it should boot automatically in Boot/Timeout seconds.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...st-solutions-el-capitan-install-problems.html

Check this article out it has fixes for most problems.

I have tested the USB 3/2 ports and have noted which ports work in the update to Post #746.

Thank you for your input here, it helped a lot. I finally got El Capitan installed and auto-booting from the boot drive. Learning clover took a while but i finally understand it for the most part.
Like you i have an issue with the USB ports not working as they should. Mine are a bit different than your issues. I am not sure what revision my Mobo is so that could be why, but all my ports work they just show up as USB 2. I hope there is an easier fix soon than the one listed in the "Big List of Solutions for El Capitan Install Problems".
We will see what is in Multibeast 8 when it comes out.

Thank you for your input here, it helped a lot. I finally got El Capitan installed and auto-booting from the boot drive. Learning clover took a while but i finally understand it for the most part.
We're all learning (except for a few of members). I've never used Clover before El Capitan nor build a DSDT by hand. So, this is a new learning experience for me since I don't have an in depth knowledge of the workings of OS X.

Like you i have an issue with the USB ports not working as they should. Mine are a bit different than your issues. I am not sure what revision my Mobo is so that could be why, but all my ports work they just show up as USB 2. I hope there is an easier fix soon than the one listed in the "Big List of Solutions for El Capitan Install Problems".
All my Back Panel and Front Panel ports (from the three motherboard Front Panel headers) work as USB 2 ports even the USB 3 ports. But, that's not surprising since we had to use the GenericXHCIUSB.kext to make our USB 3 ports work in Yosemite and earlier. BTW, we have more external peripheral connections than any person will ever need :lol: with eight USB ports on each chipset (16 total), plus the two Thunderbolt connectors.

We will see what is in Multibeast 8 when it comes out.
Me, too. :lol:

However, I suspect the solution will be a DSDT patch unique for each motherboard and revision since Gigabyte kept the Intel USB chipset (which I believe was part of the motherboard chipsets) but chose other companion USB chipsets depending upon the motherboard make & model # (and revision). Since Clover allows for a DSDT patch, I think this is the way to go. It will be up to others to share their patch for their motherboard make/model #/revision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back