Motherboard
GA Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Hello my friends. A user from Brazil here.

I have two hacks. One of them, is with this lovely motherboard. I'm currently running a Gtx 560Ti running the Sierra.
As soon as I get an RX 560 or RX 580 on this Black Friday I also want to migrate to Mojave.

Wish luck to everyone who wants to update the system.
Thank you always for the tips my friend Stork

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS

I have two hacks. One of them, is with this lovely motherboard. I'm currently running a Gtx 560Ti running the Sierra.
As soon as I get an RX 560 or RX 580 on this Black Friday I also want to migrate to Mojave.

You'll love your RX 560/580. I have a Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB card in MyHero II build. I also had to change the Frame Buffer with a patch in MyHero II's config.plist. Although Apple supports the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB card natively in 10.13.6 and Mojave, Apple only "hardwired" into the graphics kext the first two releases Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB card ID #s. So, since my 580 was newer, I had to use the Frame Buffer patch to get the correct Frame Buffer for the card; otherwise it uses the RadeonDefault Frame Buffer. You can tell if you need the config.plist Frame Buffer patch for your 580 by my procedure in the OP of the MyHero II build description, post installation steps. Be advised that my procedure is for the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB card. If you get a different card, you'll have to find out if it's worth it to you to hunt up the correct Frame Buffer and patch the config.plist with that Frame Buffer.

Speaking of that build...I have a post that shows how to update to Mojave from High Sierra at Post #448 in the MyHero II build description. While your MultiBeast settings for audio and Ethernet chipsets will be different, you can see what the upgrade procedures are like. Be advised that Mojave 10.14.1 still has some bugs (as I state in the post), and, consequently, I don't recommend upgrading from High Sierra until at least 10.14.3 has been released so as to have the major bugs worked out of the OS.

Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
iMac, MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Classic, iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS

Right now I'm using RX 580 in 10.13.6 but with lots of graphic glitches. Unable to export with H264 codec, seems like it is not hardware acceleration.
I really hope that you can make it work in Mojave with RX 580.

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Right now I'm using RX 580 in 10.13.6 but with lots of graphic glitches. Unable to export with H264 codec, seems like it is not hardware acceleration.
I really hope that you can make it work in Mojave with RX 580.
What make/model of RX 580 are you using?

Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
Classic Mac
Classic, iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi Stork,
I'm using a Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
@olvido, good! Apple used the early (first) couple of Sapphire's card IDs in macOS. So, if you have a newer Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB card like I got for MyHero II build, you'll have to do the following.

:ch:Run DCPIManager. If you get this result, skip the rest of these instructions as you have an early, macOS supported Sapphire RX 580 Pulse. If you don't get this result, the proceed, otherwise you are good to go.

:ch: Add the FBName = Orinoco and Inject > ATI=true & Intel=True to config.plist which you can do with Clover Configurator or Xcode or PlistEditor Pro (which I use):
Code:
   <key>Graphics</key>
   <dict>
       <key>FBName</key>
       <string>Orinoco</string>
       <key>Inject</key>
       <dict>
           <key>ATI</key>
           <true/>
           <key>Intel</key>
           <true/>
           <key>NVidia</key>
           <false/>
       </dict>
   </dict>
:ch: Add Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts to /Library/Extensions/ with KextBeast.

Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
Classic Mac
Classic, iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thank you Stork, now I get recognised the GPU as RX 480?
View media item 191228
Also freeze when exporting to h264 from DaVinci or compressor... :crazy:

Last edited:

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi Stork,

I update from 10.12.6 to 10.13.6, it was horrible as you mentioned. And I think my system is not really stable at the moment. How about yours? My Console is full of errors and faults. Could you send me your config plist? Do you you use usbinjectall.kext permanently or you patched it in config.plist? I have the same board, so would be great to check with your config, of course not with the smuuid and so on...
OMG! I'm so sorry you fell through the crack. I apologize.

Your config.plist looks nothing like mine...almost totally. I recommend you run MultiBeast v10.4 for High Sierra choosing your complete configuration. (Note: when I updated to 10.13.6, I abandoned the Realtek ALC audio for the AppleALC kext method. See Post #972. Post#1's MultiBeast is now out of date until I get time to update it.)

Yes, I use USBInjectAll.kext and the USB Port Limit Patch in config.plist.

Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UPH TH
CPU
I7-3770K OC 4.5
Graphics
R9 280
Mac
Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Do you have your USB Installation thumb drive plugged in? Come to think of it, you may be reading a container (like a partition) at your Clover Boot screen. What's the complete name?
Sorry for the late reply ...

It's a "Boot MacOS install" ... which I certainly haven't organised as I'm running a Mojave second SSD.