Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
I successfully updated to 10.13.4 a few weeks ago and tried the security update from the App store today. I hit update, it restarted and then got stuck at the apple logo. The official post on the update says "If boot stalls upon update, install FakeSMC.kextin /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other." How do I install that if I can't boot my system? I didn't have any luck with safe mode. I can however get it to boot into recover mode. I've never run into an issue like this, any help is appreciated.

I successfully updated to 10.13.4 a few weeks ago and tried the security update from the App store today. I hit update, it restarted and then got stuck at the apple logo. The official post on the update says "If boot stalls upon update, install FakeSMC.kextin /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other." How do I install that if I can't boot my system? I didn't have any luck with safe mode. I can however get it to boot into recover mode. I've never run into an issue like this, any help is appreciated.
Try booting with your UniBeast created HS Installation thumb drive. Did you back your pre Security Update installation?

Stork,

I’ll start with I’m not using a M.2 drive ATM but with the move to High Sierra which I’m plannng to do if I am understanding the Rehabman’s comments the changes in High Sierra with regards to M.2 NMVe drives 512 KB has become native and if I’m using a Samsung 970 (which I plan to clone my High Sierra onto from a Samsung 850 EVO SATA drive after installing) then I don’t need to do the spoof install?

See https://github.com/RehabMan/patch-nvme

Is my logic sound?

I have been avoiding the use of an M2 drive as I’m just not competent enough IMHO to get that aspect of a hack working (well maybe also a lack of immediate desire). However, Im really wanting to achieve a M2 drive with the OS upgrade to HIgh Sierra as Im sure it’ll give me some more years of pleasure with my Hackintosh.

Stork,

I’ll start with I’m not using a M.2 drive ATM but with the move to High Sierra which I’m plannng to do if I am understanding the Rehabman’s comments the changes in High Sierra with regards to M.2 NMVe drives 512 KB has become native and if I’m using a Samsung 970 (which I plan to clone my High Sierra onto from a Samsung 850 EVO SATA drive after installing) then I don’t need to do the spoof install?

See https://github.com/RehabMan/patch-nvme

Is my logic sound?

I have been avoiding the use of an M2 drive as I’m just not competent enough IMHO to get that aspect of a hack working (well maybe also a lack of immediate desire). However, Im really wanting to achieve a M2 drive with the OS upgrade to HIgh Sierra as Im sure it’ll give me some more years of pleasure with my Hackintosh.
That is correct, you will not need to do @RehabMan's NVMe Spoof technique. However, you will need the modified BIOS (for NVMe) I referred to in Post #1.

However, I've not updated Thunderball in several months. It's on my get around to it list. But, you can see what I did to get a clean install to HS 10.13.4 here.

Good luck!

Modified bios has been installed since it was first mentioned. On that note has anyone been able to get the ALT-f12 backup main BIOS to backup BIOS to work? Mine has never given me the option to do so? This is particularly annoying as the back BIOS is version f4.

When you say clean install does that mean I’ll have to reformat the system drive? Or is a reformat the only way to implement APFS? I have placed the APFS in EFI Kexts folder. I had tried the direct install method from Sierra but it just hangs at Apple logo.

Finally, could you clarify ...

Using EFI Mounter, mount your High Sierra drive's EFI partition (use the same method as above).
:ch: Open EFI/EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI/ folder and replace/copy the apfs.efi that was on your thumb drive.

Did you mean copy the "thumb drive" apfs.efi to the High Sierra drive? Or the other way High Sierra to Thumb drive? Or is it ...

(Edit - after reading that again slowly I read it as Copy APFS.efi from thumb drive to High Sierra drive)

:ch: Drag & drop the Codec Commander zip file from the thumb drive onto your Desktop and un-zip the file. Drag the CodecCommand.kext from the Release folder to the Desktop. Drag the zip & the two folders to the Trash.
:ch: Run KextBeast; chose to put the kexts in the /Library/Extensions folder. Drag and drop the CodecCommand.kext to a safe place.

Are there multiple CodecCommand.kext(s) or did that include placing the apfs.efi into in the /Library/Extensions folder.

Sorry for so many queries but so far this upgrade has been the hardest upgrade since my first attempt :(

Last edited:
Well again I’ve just seemed to hit a wall ...

1. Boot off install either install method ... direct app store OR USB installer.
2. see Apple logo and loading bar.
3. Black Screen
4. White screen
5. Black screen
6. Grey screen

Waiting ... coming on ten minutes now. make that forever.

Well close to 15 hours later nothing I tried worked. The closest I got was after removing 2nd screen I got to the installer, got past the first reboot, got to it showing the Apple logo, stated 41 minutes remaining and it rebooted.

Even tried to install onto a spare SSD out of frustration. That didn’t work.

Built a new installer on a different USB2 stick. It didn’t work. Tried IGFX only ... I’ve given up ATM.

Thankfully my Sierra build still seems to boot as normal.

Completely out of ideas ...

Have created new thread as I don't want to hog Stork's thread with my issues. See https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...t-complete-install-process-hs-10-13-6.256872/

Last edited:
Well finally got HS to install ... however, despite following Stork's guide I have a few issues. In the end I did a direct upgrade from Sierra and used the terminal commands for no change to APFS file system and stayed with HFS +j.

1. No audio
  2. Dual screens not working.
However, for the first time in a few builds Imessage login has appeared. I haven't logged into Imessage or my Icloud account as yet as I want to get the build working properly before I do.

Somehow I knew this transition to High Sierra was going to be tough :(

If you've already run MultiBeast v10.3.0, then run it again only selecting:
:ch:Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALC8xx > ALC898
:ch:Build -> Install
:ch:Reboot​
This is a noted problem with HS caches.

If you've already run MultiBeast v10.3.0, then run it again only selecting:
:ch:Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALC8xx > ALC898
:ch:Build -> Install
:ch:Reboot​
This is a noted problem with HS caches.

Tried that twice now ... No audio devices appearing. Was just reading the Apple HDA thread to find a solution. I know that since Mavericks that I have had to use both the MultiBeast and cloverALC audio methods to get audio to work in the past. I also can't remember when my last "clean" install was ... I think El Capitan so ... might be time to clean up old files.

Well ... just did the clean up of old files from

• cloverALC, remove:
    1. S/L/E/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/layout1.zml.zlib, layout2.zml.zlib, layout3.zml.zlib, Platforms.zml.zlib
      • or install native AppleHDA.kext with a kext installer (KextBeast)
    2. config.plist/.../KextsToPatch/AppleHDA (3x)
    3. EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.xx or other/realtekALC.kext

• MultiBeast 9+, remove:
    1. S/L/E/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/layout1.zml.zlib, layout2.zml.zlib, layout3.zml.zlib, Platforms.zml.zlib
      • or install native AppleHDA.kext with a kext installer (KextBeast)
    2. config.plist/.../KextsToPatch/AppleHDA (3x)
    3. /L/E/realtekALC.kext

Reinstalled via MB ... still no audio.

Any ideas on the screen issue?

I must say though ... I'm getting a better idea of how Clover, kexts, and config.plists work ... I think :-S

No idea of what you should do next. Unfortunately, I'm not at home with Thunderball as I'm traveling. Let me know if you find a solution. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back