Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you could use MacPro5,1. Check the MultiBeast Features document because, if you choose the 5,1, MultiBeast also modifies one of the kexts to make it work.

Hello Stork, et al,

I've been running this motherboard and components (with a 570, though now I have a 970) ever since they were the recommended mac pro system years ago. It has been perfect, thanks to everyone here!

Adobe stopped supporting the 570 for Premiere and After Effects, and I was getting all kinds of screen tearing problems and occasional system crashes so I put in the 970, and the problems have been greatly reduced. Sadly, I still can't leave the system rendering overnight without finding it crashed in the morning.

Maybe its just Adobe, but would anyone advise on whether to upgrade the OS and what to update it to, ElCap/Sierra? I don't use onboard audio and would be okay if the firewire went away, but I do need the Thunderbolt and the video card to be solid. Is there a quick ref for this board with BIOS version and settings as well as multibeast settings.

Thanks!

I'd check with Adobe support or on their support forums. Make sure you have the correct Nvidia drivers & CUDA for your version (build #) of the OS X you're using. MacVidCards has a listing and links for the Nivida drivers > Which Driver Should I Install for My New GPU - MacVidCards.coM

Do you have Thunderbolt peripherals? If so, I'd be cautious about updating. Unfortunately, all I have left for this system is a TH to FireWire adapter...and I can't find my FW external drive to test Sierra's compatibility with the Z77X-UP5 TH Thunderbolt external peripherals. I hooked up my OWC (Other World Computing) Thunderbolt 2 Dock, and I can read USB drives. So, Thunderbolt 1 works OK with Sierra. But, I recommend that you check around the forum to see if there is any Thunderbolt compatibility problems with El Capitan and/or Sierra with our motherboard.

If you update the OS, you'll most likely have to pay for application compatibility updates, too. So, consider that in you decision making.

Last edited:
I have this same setup and it is running on Sierra. Does the included wireless/bluetooth card that came with the motherboard work? For some reason I did not install it, but now realize I need wireless to get my apple watch to unlock the computer.

No, the wireless card PCI card uses an Intel wireless chipset which Apple doesn't support. See the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5TH wifi bluetooth card thread; Post #13 summarizes the problem.

However, time flies, and there are better solutions to getting WiFi/BT working on your system than the older WiFi/BT card that came with your system. I'm using the TP-Link Archer T8E AC1700 PCIe card and the GMYLE Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter, both are in the tonymacx86 Buyer's Guide, Accessory section. The drawback with those two solutions is the price: $60 for the TP-Link card and $8 for the GMYLE USB dongle. The other solution that I've tried - the iMac Boardcom AC1300/BT4 card and PCIe adapter card have also risen in price to > $100.

The other day I read here in the tonymacx86 Forum where the Fenvi combo WiFi/BT4 works in our hacks; it's AC1300, which a tad slower than the TP-Link T8E/GMYLE combo but about $10 less expensive. I ordered one and it should be here early next week.

There are less expensive wireless card solutions. I've seen the TP-Link TL-WDN4800 PCIe card, which is a N900 WiFi card, go on sale for $25. However, you're getting 801.11/n speeds instead of AC1300 speeds. Amazon | Newegg

Good luck! Post back on what you finally decided to do and how your solution is working. :thumbup:

Last edited:
No, the wireless card PCI card uses an Intel wireless chipset which Apple doesn't support. See the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5TH wifi bluetooth card thread; Post #13 summarizes the problem.

However, time flies, and there are better solutions to getting WiFi/BT working on your system than the older WiFi/BT card that came with your system. I'm using the TP-Link Archer T8E AC1700 PCIe card and the GMYLE Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter, both are in the tonymacx86 Buyer's Guide, Accessory section. The drawback with those two solutions is the price: $60 for the TP-Link card and $8 for the GMYLE USB dongle. The other solution that I've tried - the iMac Boardcom AC1300/BT4 card and PCIe adapter card have also risen in price to > $100.

The other day I read here in the tonymacx86 Forum where the Fenvi combo WiFi/BT4 works in our hacks; it's AC1300, which a tad slower than the TP-Link T8E/GMYLE combo but about $10 less expensive. I ordered one and it should be here early next week.

There are less expensive wireless card solutions. I've seen the TP-Link TL-WDN4800 PCIe card, which is a N900 WiFi card, go on sale for $25. However, you're getting 801.11/n speeds instead of AC1300 speeds. Amazon | Newegg

Good luck! Post back on what you finally decided to do and how your solution is working. :thumbup:
Thanks for the information. I probably wont do anything as I have a wired connection anyways. The only reason I believe I need wireless is so that I can use my new apple watch to unlock the computer. Unless there is a way using only bluetooth that someone knows about.

I'm just starting to look into HDMI audio support for my build through a
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti. Anybody have any suggestions of which method(s) have given the best results?

Hi Stork,

I followed your guide to install El Capitan, same mobo with 660 ti GPU but sound is not working, it only displays soundflower on output devices, any idea on how to solve it?

Thanks,

Seems like after rebooting a second time, alc898 doesn't work anymore. Any suggestions?

The only thing I can think of is to rerun MultiBeast only selecting the ALC898 audio driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back