Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mountain Lion

Are you guys able to use the Thunderbolt MDP1 for anything? I could only get the Thunderbolt to FW800 adapter to work on the MDP2 port.

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mountain Lion

Are you guys able to use the Thunderbolt MDP1 for anything? I could only get the Thunderbolt to FW800 adapter to work on the MDP2 port.

Stay tuned, my bruthah' Stork... I've got a Thunderbolt > Ethernet, & a Thunderbolt > FW800, and a Mini-DP Cinema Display that I can test shortly. But first, I need to get my G5 with MM motherboard tray all dialed in, then I can do some testing:

photo.jpg

(That's a early 2005 Dual 2.0 GHz G5 case, MM G5 tray, GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, i7-3770K, and SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD)

This is gonna replace my Music Studio "Golden Build" ... (I am gonna donate my original "golden build" Hack to a dear musician buddy of mine who's just now recovering from some serious hard times: ex-wife stole over $250k of guitars, amps, studio-grade mics, etc. in the divorce & was finally convicted of grand theft. Sadly, he was only able to recover about $130k of his gear & is limping along with a MDD G5 from 2004).

BommR,
You da man! God bless your friend for having a friend like you. :clap:

Now, back to our fund stuff. I have a Late 2005 PowerMac G5 2x2.0GHz that's still running (limping actually) with Leopard 10.5.8 that I will be mod'ing soon. I'm looking into LaserHive(.com)'s G5 case mod kits. I especially want to put a regular size ATX motherboard in the G5 case as either Zorro system would work nicely in it.

But, first, I have a Mac Pro case mod'ing project to finish; it will be a Z68MX-UD3H / i5-2500K based system. Then, my old, hot rod G4 Sawtooth (1.5GHz and SATA I) is begging for some modern innereds; I've purchased the LaserHive's G4 kit for the Sawtooth.

So, keep us informed on your G5 Thunderbolt system. :thumbup:

Thank you for your kind words, Stork!

As I recall, you did your build with the original ML 10.8.0, correct? Your build looks like smooth sailing with 10.8.0, followed by applying Lion Combo Update 10.8.2.

You have such a great "bird's eye view" of the broader tonymacx86.com as one of our great admins (pardon the bird pun :mrgreen:), am I going to run into any hiccups with the UniBeast key I just built with 10.8.2? I **think** I still have 10.8.0 on my live music rig MBP, so will take some scrambling to see if I can find it (if you think I'd have better luck following your build instructions and use 10.8.0).

Thanks in advance for the insights!! :headbang:

BTW, my buddy John (who could really use a nice upgrade to his Mac) has had a long & substantial music playing & production career - played bass with Steppenwolf for a while, did some work with Journey, used to run David Lynch's recording studio out in Marin Co. His most recent gig (actually one of many) has him doing sound design & post-production work on the NBC TV show, Grimm out of his Portland, OR studio. So he know's what he's doing for sure! We first met when we both lived/work on Maui - he & Walter Becker were partners in a studio they built there (for those who don't know, Walter Becker is 1/2 of "Steely Dan") :thumbup:

I built this system and initially installed 10.8.1; I then upgraded to 10.8.2 when it "hit the streets." I have since installed several test installations of 10.8.2 on a virgin disk w/o problems. So, you shouldn't have any problem. I assume you'll be using HD4000 for your graphics engine; if not, we're currently recommending you use one of the nVidia 600 series cards; which one will depend upon how many monitors you'll be driving. You can drive two 1920x1200 monitors with the HD4000 graphics.

You and your friend John are living my dream. However, my guitar playing was more a hobby with me as I wanted to design airplanes as a profession. Did that and had a great career, but would play in my man cave on the weekends when I wasn't doing Father-Daughter stuff. Now, I have the time, and I will begin getting lessons after Christmas because I can't teach myself any more, and I don't know if I'm doing it right. The good news is I can read music.

BTW, I like your avatar. :thumbup: I learned about music at an early age by learning how to play the Tenor Sax. My parents loved Jazz and pass that onto me.

Anywho, keep us informed on your build. However, he said putting on his moderator hat, please use the Case Mod forum section for descriptions of an case mods. However, I encourage you to post your Thunderbolt build description here describing how you chose you system components - what were your requirements - and any unusual installation techniques.

I assume you'll be using HD4000 for your graphics engine; You can drive two 1920x1200 monitors with the HD4000 graphics.

Yes indeed - going onboard HD4000 this time around. I've got a 27" Cinema Display (non-TB) and suspect I should be able to drive that just fine using one of the 2 TB ports.

You and your friend John are living my dream. However, my guitar playing was more a hobby with me as I wanted to design airplanes as a profession. Did that and had a great career, but would play in my man cave on the weekends when I wasn't doing Father-Daughter stuff. Now, I have the time, and I will begin getting lessons after Christmas because I can't teach myself any more, and I don't know if I'm doing it right. The good news is I can read music.

You are WAY ahead of the curve if you're a music reader. As a former band director (and son of 2 state & nationally acclaimed music educators), adult learners of music have a much shorter learning curve, as their eye/hand coordination is not in the same dev phase as grade school learners; and of course, intellectually much further along than normal beginners or novices in their teens...You'll be just fine! :headbang:

BTW, I like your avatar. :thumbup: I learned about music at an early age by learning how to play the Tenor Sax. My parents loved Jazz and pass that onto me.

Sax players (current or "retired") are some of my favorite people! :headbang:

Anywho, keep us informed on your build. However, he said putting on his moderator hat, please use the Case Mod forum section for descriptions of an case mods. However, I encourage you to post your Thunderbolt build description here describing how you chose you system components - what were your requirements - and any unusual installation techniques.

I will do just that - I figured I'd end up with 2 threads - one on the GA-Z77X-UP5-TH build in the "User Builds" section for new builds, and a "sister" post with all the related case mod tasks & pics there. I figured in the spot in the User Builds "template" where I list my case choice, I'd just cross-link to the G5 case mod thread. :mrgreen:

BoomR said:
...I will do just that - I figured I'd end up with 2 threads - one on the GA-Z77X-UP5-TH build in the "User Builds" section for new builds, and a "sister" post with all the related case mod tasks & pics there. I figured in the spot in the User Builds "template" where I list my case choice, I'd just cross-link to the G5 case mod thread. :mrgreen:
I just love it when a plan comes together. :thumbup:

I'm now looking to putting either one of my Z68X-UD3H motherboards or a Z77-DS3H / i5-3570K system in my PowerMac G5 case. Sigh...too many good projects. Good thing I'm retired. :lol:

I just love it when a plan comes together. :thumbup:

Sigh...too many good projects. Good thing I'm retired. :lol:

HEY! I want some of that retirement stuff! **SIGH** but first, I have to win the Lotto :banghead:

For the record, I'm writing this post using my GA-Z77X-UP5 TH - HD4000 - SanDisk Extreme 240GB, plus some RAM out of my Sandy Bridge golden build...I just couldn't wait until the G5 case was done! LOL
photo-1.jpg

(Ethernet worked right away, so am logging in here to d'load MultiBeast) :headbang:

EDIT/UPDATE (5 minutes later...): All I gotta say is: HOLY $H*T! This has got to be the most trouble-free build that I have EVER done (this is #5 for me). And SMOKIN' FAST boot time - Once I got to the gray Apple screen, the spinning progress indicator didn't even have time to display & start spinning! 2 seconds of gray Apple screen, then BAM! Desktop!!!

I will say - the only thing I did differently in the "BIOS" is that I selected XMP= Profile1. I didn't see this covered in thelostswede's UEFI Bios tutorial, so I took a chance at that setting. Seems to be working, eh?

OK - back to the G5 case mod. But first, I have a music rehearsal for our "Turtle Creek Chorale" here in Dallas (I'm playing sax in the band for the Xmas concerts). The $$ I make playing this gig bought my new TB motherboard & CPU! :thumbup:

:thumbup: Installation was a piece of cake for me, too. Although I have the i5-3570K processor, I can see the speed increase over Zorro, which has an i7-2600K.

Now...get busy with that case mod. :lol:

I will say - the only thing I did differently in the "BIOS" is that I selected XMP= Profile1. I didn't see this covered in thelostswede's UEFI Bios tutorial, so I took a chance at that setting. Seems to be working, eh?

Yeah I did that as well... seemed to be the only way to get my RAM recognized as 1600 MHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back