Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mountain Lion

...And if any of you could help I would be appreciated. Several times the turn of function reboot the PC instead of shutting it down. The PC also wake up from sleep automatically sometimes... Do I need any fix?
Hmmmm, I'm not having that reboot problem.

However, you might fix sleep by removing the "darkwake=0" from the "Kernel Flags" key/string in the /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plst file which has been document here and other build descriptions. This kernel flag was discovered not to be needed for 10.8.4, and it's removed reportedly makes sleep/wake-up work better. It works for me. :thumbup:

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mountain Lion

I clarified an earlier post about the use of the GenericUSBXCHI.kext for enabling USB3. It's not needed with this motherboard.

After upgrading to 10.8.5, I have lost my access to any thunderbolt drives. Anyone else have this issue on this motherboard? Thanks!

Anyone else having Thunderbolt issues? There's no way I can upgrade until I hear all is clear.

Anyone else having Thunderbolt issues? There's no way I can upgrade until I hear all is clear.
Sometimes, no news is good news. I've not notice any Thunderbolt problems with 10.8.5, but I use Thunderbolt to connect to peripherals via adapters (DVI & Firewire).

What are your Thunderbolt peripherals?

If you decide to update to 10.8.5, follow my procedure in Post #2 of the "Article: 10.8.5 Update."

What are your Thunderbolt peripherals?

If you decide to update to 10.8.5, follow my procedure in Post #2 of the "Article: 10.8.5 Update."

I have the Pegasus R4 RAID array. Since 10.8.5, it is a no go! Does not show up at all and I never had an issue with it in 10.8.4, hooks up to my MBP with no issues.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H5184VC/A/promise-pegasus-r4-4tb-4x1tb-raid-system

I use an R4 as well. Thanks for the info, I'm staying at 10.8.4 for now.

Hello Stork, first thanks for all the information and the guides, have been very useful.

I saw the update from unibeast and decided to reinstall the whole OS. It was acting weird since the update to 10.8.5.

I made a very basic guide for the UP5th and a gtx 660 with a 3570k, from my experience.... I have a couple of questions... im going to post it here.. its kinda basic and maybe you can correct me or improve to get better results.

Guide:

create unibeast 10.8.5

configure bios like stork guide

disable drives (windows or other installations just for safety)
switch to igfx only (you can reinstall without pulling the video card)

plug dvi ir hdmi to main

format drive
install osx 10.8.5

reboot
boot with arg -x -v

install multibeast

no dsdt user dsdt
audio without dsdt alc898
3rd party esata
trim use app trim enabler
fake smce both app and plugins
intel hnak's (not sure if needed when reinstall saw up ethernet without it)
graphics enalber no (for aditional video card only)
1080p display (if u need it)
power management desktop
mac pro 5,1 (wicth is better?? Have to test)
delete darkwake from extra org chamaleon boot
delete appletymcdriver kext

reboot

enter bios
swith to auto display
activate hard drives with other os (if u have)
save

reboot

plug dvi or hdmi to video card

power on

and it should boot!

Now for hdmi audio digital and all outputs put ssdt1.aml in the extra folder

and create a dsdt file with maciasl app and put it there (you can download the scrip for the board from it)
update software
install software (turn on trim enabler, etc)
repair permisions

QUESTIONS @@@@@

Is a need to install the Ethernet driver from Hnak's?

Wich definition is better? (currently using mac pro 5.1)

Maybe some steps are not needed or can be added (like the third party esata, the usb3 generic driver or the FakeSMCE, activate airplay? )...

thanks for your time.

:wave:

I was intrested in what happens, when you do a cold start up, means power off and then only the thunderbolt to firewire adapter connected, and the start up...This will get me a freeze...Everytime, but when i do a restart with the restart button on the tower, everything works fine...

Hi Samuel

Do you have any luck with this issue?

I have almost identical system as your and it freeze everytime i boot up. Everything work fine after press reset button. I have tb to fw800 connected to My Book Studio Duo. My bios is f11, ssdt macpro 5,1 and ml 10.8.4.

i found one post that say it may cause by fakefmc plugin and hardware monitor. But i'm really new here and i don't know how to remove it.

any help will appreciated.

thanks

...QUESTIONS @@@@@

Is a need to install the Ethernet driver from Hnak's?

Wich definition is better? (currently using mac pro 5.1)

Maybe some steps are not needed or can be added (like the third party esata, the usb3 generic driver or the FakeSMCE, activate airplay? )...
Although I use a TP-Link WiFi PCI-e card now, I used the motherboard's Ethernet connection at first. I always load the appropriate Ethernet driver on every fresh install; also on MultiBeast updates when the Ethernet driver is updated. You never know when you'll the motherboard's Ethernet connection even though you use WiFi.

I use the default System Definition, MacPro3,1. :thumbup: I've tried the other SysDefs with SSDTs and DSDTs, and, to be truthful, I removed them as they didn't add anything to Thunderball's overall performance. We don't recommend MacPro4,1 or 5,1 as additional hacking/removing of kexts is necessary. :thumbdown:

See page 3 in the MultiBeast Features document that comes with MultiBeast or at MultiBeast.com for the default drivers that are and are not loaded with "UserDSDT or DSDT-Free Installation". Then, as the Features document states, load only the audio and networking drivers. That's all you need. :thumbup:

Using the "3rd Party SATA/eSATA" drivers (kexts) will depend if you have certain motherboard SATA chipsets (see page 5). You only need the USB 3.0 - Universal driver if you don't have the Intel USB 3 chipset which our motherboard does have and is now supported in 10.8.5. :thumbup:

I added the FakeSMC Plugin option to the above MultiBeast configuration because I want to know the temperatures of my system. With this option you get the plugins and HWMonitor Application. See page 6 in the Features document. Note that FakeSMC is part of the default "UserDSDT or DSDT-Free Installation" load.

I have tested AirPlay via an Apple Airport Express to my audio/visual receiver in my home theater setup. However, since I have a HacHTPC in my home theater, I have not used the AirPlay function other than testing.

Your questions are good ones. Just for kicks, I'll do a fresh install of 10.8.5 on Thunderball today and report back with any updates.

Finally, lose the all caps use in posts. It's hard to read and is considered rude as it implies shouting. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back