Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jezzz. Stork, I just realized you have 6 builds from all of the ages of Intel CPUs. Definitely a dedicated person to the Hackintosh community.

He is a bit legendary ...

And a long time Apple user. :thumbup:

... and to steal his thunder, again, doesn’t update system critical machines until version x.x.3 comes out as that’s the stage when all the bugs are ”usually” worked out.

Catalina time @Stork? I’ll line my self up as guinea pig as well ;)

Catalina time @Stork? I’ll line my self up as guinea pig as well ;)
I'm snowbirding at the moment and won't be able to upgrade Thunderball to 10.15.3. However, from what I've learned from reading about Catalina, I will probably stick with Mojave for the Thunderball system for a while. Once MultiBeast for Catalina comes out, I'll update MyHero II and that will give an indication what's required for my other systems.

Hello, all.

I could use some help. I'm currently stuck in the installation process.

NOTE: This was working and booted prior.

While Mojave was installing I got a message that Mojave could not be installed on my system. Now I'm getting a message to insert a bootable drive.

"Reboot and Select Proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key."

I have the same board and an i7-3770K. I don't think it's a hardware issue. This is what I've done.

1. I updated the BIOS to the Tweakhead version: 12j
2. I created the UniBeast drive (no issues there).
3. I set up the BIOS as instructed in all of the posts
4. I started the installation process via the USB stick
--- Using the Disc Utility from the UniBeast drive I erased a Samsung SSD and set it to Mac Journaled​
--- I then initiated the installation process to the SSD​
--- The system rebooted and I think there was an issue. I had to tell it where to boot from or the auto boot failed. I got a message asking if the BIOS settings were correct, and it showed my CPU speed and two other options. I'm not sure why this occurred.​
--- Then Clover started and the macOS displayed a message that Mojave could not be installed in my system.​

Now, when I enter the BIOS, I only have these options to boot from and all of them produce an insert bootable drive message:
- KingstonDT Ultimate G2. Note, when I started I had a UEFI (UEFI: KingstonDT etc...) option for the USB stick, now that no longer displays. I am not sure why.​
- MAC OS X​
- UEFI: Samsung SSD 860 etc...​
- P1: Samsung SSD 860 etc...​

Last edited:
Now when I enter the BIOS I only have these options to boot from and all of them produce an insert bootable drive message:
- KingstonDT Ultimate G2. Note, when I started I had a UEFI (UEFI: KingstonDT etc...) option for the USB stick, now that no longer displays. I am not sure why.
- MAC OS X
- UEFI: Samsung SSD 860 etc...
- P1: Samsung SSD 860 etc...

Sounds like your BIOS got reset. Do this:
  1. In BIOS set Optimised defaults, F10 to save and reboot back into BIOS settings (F2 or DEL keys).
  2. Now setup the BIOS again as instructed and hit F10 to save which will reboot.
  3. When it reboots, keep pressing F12 till you see a boot drive selection list.
  4. Select your Kingston USB (it should be marked as UEFI...blabla..)
That will boot UniBeast from the the USB.

UniBeast is a very generic solution which tries to cater for any type of PC but it should work for your motherboard.

I did not use that method as I had the "luxury" of another Mac from which I manually created (Createinstallmedia method) my own Clover installer. And on which I setup the config.plist file and kexts necessary for this motherboard. But that's beyond the scope if you do not know how to do that.

UniBeast is a very generic solution which tries to cater for any type of PC but it should work for your motherboard.
Correct.
I did not use that method as I had the "luxury" of another Mac from which I manually created (Createinstallmedia method) my own Clover installer. And on which I setup the config.plist file and kexts necessary for this motherboard. But that's beyond the scope if you do not know how to do that.
FYI. UniBeast does all the "things" you do by "hand" so new users (and old users alike) don't have to have indepth knowledge on the so-called vanilla method steps to install macOS. BTW, UniBeast uses the createinstallmedia method, too.

Hi, all.

OK. I will try that in an hour when I get to the machine. Note, the UniBeast USB was an option, but the UEFI prefix was removed and last night there was no longer an UEFI option for the USB.

However, I will try these suggestions and see if the UEFI label returns. Thank you so much!

Hi, all.

OK. I will try that in an hour when I get to the machine. Note, the UniBeast USB was an option, but the UEFI prefix was removed and last night there was no longer an UEFI option for the USB.

However, I will try these suggestions and see if the UEFI label returns. Thank you so much!
If you do not see UEFI prefix for the USB then it means that the UniBeast install onto the USB was done as LEGACY (for systems without UEFI). The UEFI BIOS looks for certain markers on the drives such as EFI Partition and BOOTX86.efi file on it in order to determine its suitability for UEFI boot. Make sure you follow the UniBeast guide for UEFI.

If you do not see UEFI prefix for the USB then it means that the UniBeast install onto the USB was done as LEGACY (for systems without UEFI). The UEFI BIOS looks for certain markers on the drives such as EFI Partition and BOOTX86.efi file on it in order to determine its suitability for UEFI boot. Make sure you follow the UniBeast guide for UEFI.

I am sorry if I have not been clear.

- I created a UEFI UniBeast USB stick.
- When I started the install the UEFI USB was an option
- During the installation process something went wrong
- Now... There is no UEFI prefix on my USB stick... I'm not sure why.

I've been quite delayed, but I should be able to get to the machine in 30 minutes to try any solutions.

Ok. This is what I have done.

- Set optimized defaults in the BIOS
- As per the instructions, made the following changes:
-- I set the XMP profile to 1​

Peripherals:
- xHCI mode set to auto
- xHCI + EHCI handoff enabled
- Init Display First - IGFX (I'm using the internal graphics)

Power Management
- Wake on LAN disabled

All other recommended changes were already set. The only option I did not set was this:
- Internal CPU PLL Over-voltage = Disable

When all the changes were done I hit hit f10 to save and then DEL to boot back into the bio and check the BIOS FEATURES for boot options. Now I only see this:
- macOS
- UEFI: Samsung SSD 860...
- P1: Samsung SSD 860...

When I save again and hit F12 to see the boot options, I get this:
- macOS
- KingstonDT Ulitmate G2 (UniBeast USB stick)

I'm thinking it might be best to download Mojave all over again. Make another Unibeast stick and try again... :(

Thoughts?

Last edited:
When I save again and hit f12 to see the boot options, I get this:
- MAC OS X
- KingstonDT Ulitmate G2 (Unibeast USB stick)

I'm thinking it might be best to download Mojave all over again. Make another Unibeast stick and try again... :(

Thoughts?
Correct steps above.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS (F12 I believe).
Before you run UniBeast, make sure you format USB Drive (ideally USB 2.0) as GUID Partition type with Mac OS Extended Journaled.
When you run UniBeast, in the Bootloader Configuration screen make sure you choose UEFI Boot Mode.

Make sure you use a USB 2.0 port on the motherboard (not USB 3.0 just in case there are issues with your USB stick).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back