Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you us MultiBeast, you should be OK. If not, I recommend P1LGRAM's procedure in his Spares Box HTPC POC Build - GA-B85M-DS3H-A - i3-4330 - GeForce GT640 - 10.11.4 | tonymacx86.com.

Hey Stork,
I want to take a second to thank you for your build and your willingness to share. With no previous hackintosh experience, I build my machine in 2012 because of your great info and the contributions of so many others on this site. There really is no other place like this on the web. Thank you.

I'm running UP5TH, i7 3770, 32GB, GTX680, Yosemite, SSD and several HDDs, Apple branded BT and Wifi

That said, upgrading my machine has not been at the top of my list so I've just been dealing with all the little issues (No audio after sleep mode, no FaceTime or iMessage)

A quick read through this thread looks like you guys have solved most of those. I'd like to upgrade to Sierra but want to make sure I have all my stuff in one sock before I do.

Can you point me in the direction of the latest and greatest MB configs/settings, BIOS version and settings etc? I use this machine for school and can't afford to take it offline all the time. I'm hoping to do as close to a full Sierra upgrade as I can in one shot.

Thanks for any help

You guys rock!

Oops! I forgot to document the update to Sierra for Thunderball. Give me a couple of days to get to it. TIA for your patience.

Following Stork's excellent instructions in this thread, I've recently updated from Mavericks / Chimera to El Capitan (10.11.6) / Clover with only few issues. In the process, I updated my BIOS from F11 to mod9 F12j as well. Thank you Stork and community for the terrific information! Based upon some complaints of sluggishness, I've decide to not make the full jump to Sierra yet. That said, I do have a few nagging issues:

1: Sound card now makes a loud "pop" when called after several minutes of non-use. I faced this issue with earlier versions of OS X (Lion) on this build and temporarily got around it by using the "anti-pop" script but this was only a temporary workaround until a solution was found. I cannot recall what was the permanent solution to this issue (possibly when I created a custom DSDT). Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Suggestions for resolving it? FYI, I am using sysdef iMac14,2.

2: Unable to use FaceTime. When I start FaceTime, I am presented with a view from my webcam, a spinning indicator and the message "Sign in with your AppleID in order to activate FaceTime". I assume this issue is related to an unrecognized board serial number or related AppleID issue, as I simply accepted the serial / ID information that was generated by the Clover installer. However, I seem to be able to use Messages without issue and I am able to login to and modify my iCould account (from within System Preferences->iCould) without issue. From my MacBook Air, I can also view this machine under my iCould logged-in devices (appears as iMac 27"). I had begun following jaymonkey's instructions here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-fix-imessage.110471 but then realized that they might not be updated for El Cap / Clover issues.

3: Over time, trackpad becomes sluggish / erratic / disconnects. Unplugging then re-plugging the bluetooth USB dongle often resolves this. It appears that this might coincide with excessive memory use (typically by Safari) but I am not 100% certain. The same issue existed with Mavericks; so it is more of an annoyance than a show-stopper but it can get annoying when I must plug a mouse in to regain control.

Any suggestions for resolving these issues would be greatly appreciated. Because this is my first experience with Clover, I am hesitant to try my previous approaches.

Since you don't have a graphics card, try SysDef iMac14,1.

Also, set up your SMBIOS using P1LGRAM's short procedures that he did in his build description.
Spares Box HTPC POC Build - GA-B85M-DS3H-A - i3-4330 - GeForce GT640 - 10.11.4 | tonymacx86.com

Thank you Stork! I assume your reply was directed toward repairing my #2 issue (unable to login to FaceTime). I think I had a bad serial number because, after updating Clover and "shaking" the serial numbers a few times, I was able to login to FaceTime after another reboot. So... issue #2 resolved!

Regarding issue #1: Do you have any idea how I might resolve the loud "pop" every time the audio system awakens? I had this issue previously (with Mountain Lion, I think) but somehow resolved it. I don't recall how this was resolved... if it was due to generating a DSDT file... or an audio kext update... or something else. But this was not an issue through many Mountain Lion and Mavericks updates, yet it appeared again after this upgrade. Because I've updated my BIOS, changed boot loaders (to Clover) and upgraded from Mavericks to El Capitan at the same time, I am unsure what is causing this loud audio pop. I prefer to not install the "anti-pop" script as a work-around because it prevents the system from sleeping.

Unfortunately, I do not know why you're getting the Pop. However, I'll look into it. I might be due to the iMac14,2 system definition, but I can't be sure.

Thank you Stork. I've tried sysdef 14,2 and 14,1. You could be correct. If it would not create other issues, I could try changing back to the older sysdef. I think I used 3,1 previously.

Thank you Stork. I've tried sysdef 14,2 and 14,1. You could be correct. If it would not create other issues, I could try changing back to the older sysdef. I think I used 3,1 previously.
Careful, as Sierra does not support MacPro3,1. Just about all support for Mac computers before 2010 are no longer supported in macOS 10.12. iMac13,2 is supported, but I haven't tried it.

Careful, as Sierra does not support MacPro3,1. Just about all support for Mac computers before 2010 are no longer supported in macOS 10.12.

Thanks for the heads-up. I do prefer iMac14,2, as it more closely matches my hardware. But, if using sysdef MacPro3,1 eliminates the audio "pop" sound, then how might I correct this when using iMac14,2? It seems somehow related to a "soft wake" of the audio system but I am not sure what about the sysdef would change this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back