Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mountain Lion

Im in the same boat..

http://www.studionu.com/uadforums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=16859

claims to have people using it with hackintosh..

not sure if they are using this exact build or not, but theoretically it should work no??

Let me know.

Thanks for the link!

I have also successfully used an Apollo on my Hackintosh via the onboard firewire...

That is the interface I ultimately want to have running via Thunderbolt.

Thank you for your reply & will mos def keep you posted... please do the same!

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mountain Lion

Thanks! Yes, turn on the peripherals first, then boot up.

Will try as soon as I can link up with a friend that owns a Thunderbolt peripheral - I feel a little more optimistic about it now..

I don't own any Thunderbolt peripherals, yet, either. However, it recognized my FW800 external drive when I used a Thunderbolt to FW800 adapter. I believe it will take a BIOS revision or two and Apple's next 10.8.3 update to get more Thunderbolt performs. That's what we get for being early adapters. :thumbup:

Great that's good to know that you had success with the adapter - thanks for the feedback!

I haven't a clue what the thread is all about.

It's about an audio interface which has Thunderbolt capability, but it appears nobody in the thread has yet to try it any way other than Firewire.... looks like me & nico416 are the pioneers of the movement!

B-San & nico416,
I recommend you post your info in the Music forum section as this is where the recording guys hang out. http://www.tonymacx86.com/music/ More eyes will see it and benefit from your info. :thumbup:

Hey Stork, Thanks again, Im also building this for use with an Apollo i will tell you if it works, i think it will cuz people say they run ua apollo on hackintosh... Also... Can i run dual display off hd4000 + 6850? Or just dual off the hd4000 if possible?/? I have a 6850 to use, but its hard to get 2 monitors to run off it. :( (sapphire or xfx 6850 both wont work with dual dvi in osx land)

Thanks for the link! I have also successfully used an Apollo on my Hackintosh via the onboard firewire... That is the interface I ultimately want to have running via Thunderbolt. Thank you for your reply & will mos def keep you posted... please do the same!
Wait. this should technically work via thunderbolt then. because only way u get onboard firewire is via thunderbolt cable no???

Wait. this should technically work via thunderbolt then. because only way u get onboard firewire is via thunderbolt cable no???

There is a onboard 1394a connector on the board. All you need is a 1394a bracket and you can could use Firewire also this way.
I have not tried this option yet but maybe someone else can.
This way you can save the Thunderbolt for something else.

it should work with the onboard firewire controller, it's a via chip, but not a native chip. It uses a pci bridge to go to the chipset.

So you're closer to the chipset, when you use a thunderbolt to firewire 800 and then a 8 pin to 6 pin cable.

But i read in the rme audio forum, that the thunderbolt port is not strong enough so you have to use then seperate power.

There is a onboard 1394a connector on the board. All you need is a 1394a bracket and you can could use Firewire also this way.
I have not tried this option yet but maybe someone else can.
This way you can save the Thunderbolt for something else.

I have successfully ran the Apollo with the onboard FW via 1394a bracket.

However, running the Apollo via Thunderbolt enables performance gains - in terms of the interface's on-board processing when using the DSP powered-software effects.

When operating via Thunderbolt, the DSP-powered-plugins operate at PCIe performance - allowing the user to operate sessions at lower latency and with heavy plugin loads / more instances of effects.

Also before the Apollo can operate via Thunderbolt, it must have a Thunderbolt-card installed, which is sold separately....

I would also like to test Pro Tools HD Native as well as the UAD-2 running in a Thunderbolt chassis.

To run Apollo with lower Latency through thunderbolt is not correct.

The I/O Latency of Apollo will stay the same as when you use it with firewire 800.

The clue is what UA not so very often communicate, meanwhile they do cause users realized, that they use thunderbolt only to handle the datathroughput of the DSP. The Audio I/O is handeld through firewire 800.

But still cause they're able to split it up, with the us of thunderbolt you can add more effect instances cause thunderbolt is able to provide more data at the same time.

To run Apollo with lower Latency through thunderbolt is not correct.

The I/O Latency of Apollo will stay the same as when you use it with firewire 800.

In my previous post I tried to explain that the Thunderbolt connection allows better performance of the DSP powered-plugins at lower latencies - similar to PCIe.

I'm aware that the I/O portion of the Apollo is still sent via Firewire bandwidth even if connected via Thunderbolt...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back