Contribute
Register

Updated: High Sierra Clover Install has worked for years and now won't boot from SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Sabertooth X79
CPU
E5-2680 v2
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
1617724176057.png

Here's an update in case anyone reading this has any ideas, or a similar problem.

First, I wanted to check that all my hardware still worked, so I cloned a working Windows 10 boot disk (using AOMEI backupper) and attempted to boot my Hackintosh from that disk.

Here's where it get strange... specifying that volumes UEFI as boot failed to load ... but specifying the volume (and I'm sure it was this volume because it's the only one of that size) successfully booted an old backup Clover El Capitan installation.

So the good news is, my computer is working.

From that boot I can see in Disk Utility that *neither* of my previously working High Sierra boot SSDs will mount. The drives show up but when I try to mount the disk volumes nothing happens.

These two SSDs were my primary installation and a backup clone I make regularly using Super Duper.

It seems very unlikely that both drives would get corrupted at the same moment.

Unless that's a clue to what happened?

Meantime I'm using dd in terminal to make a backup of one of those so I have all my apps and preferences. And if it comes down to it I'll do a clean install and restore the whole thing piece by piece.

But that's gonna be a lot of trouble. If anyone has any clue what's going on, or if there's a simple fix I'm missing here, please let me know.

Thanks for reading!

Here's an update in case anyone reading this has any ideas, or a similar problem.

First, I wanted to check that all my hardware still worked, so I cloned a working Windows 10 boot disk (using AOMEI backupper) and attempted to boot my Hackintosh from that disk.

Here's where it get strange... specifying that volumes UEFI as boot failed to load ... but specifying the volume (and I'm sure it was this volume because it's the only one of that size) successfully booted an old backup Clover El Capitan installation.

So the good news is, my computer is working.

From that boot I can see in Disk Utility that *neither* of my previously working High Sierra boot SSDs will mount. The drives show up but when I try to mount the disk volumes nothing happens.

These two SSDs were my primary installation and a backup clone I make regularly using Super Duper.

It seems very unlikely that both drives would get corrupted at the same moment.

Unless that's a clue to what happened?

Meantime I'm using dd in terminal to make a backup of one of those so I have all my apps and preferences. And if it comes down to it I'll do a clean install and restore the whole thing piece by piece.

But that's gonna be a lot of trouble. If anyone has any clue what's going on, or if there's a simple fix I'm missing here, please let me know.

Thanks for reading!
El Capitan may not be able to mount High Sierra drives if they are apfs.format.

Have you tried booting into bios menu and see what your boot options are on the drives? Sometimes boot option 1 gets defaulted to a non EFI partition. If it’s an older system with an original cmos battery it may not hold memory settings correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back