Contribute
Register

*UPDATED*[Guide] Gigabyte Z170 HD3P 10.11.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi xchose,

As far as I can remember - from El Capitan - to High Sierra 10.13.6 - through every version nothing works without a SSDT. There's one attached for audio in the original post - put it in /kexts/Other and that should do the trick for you.

@DutchJan

I have not been able to boot into Mojave yet. Can you share your Clover version and your config.plist please? If I get it working I would write a newer version of the guide.
Sorry I did not upgrade at Mojave version due NVIDIA missing web drivers.

Hi xchose,

As far as I can remember - from El Capitan - to High Sierra 10.13.6 - through every version nothing works without a SSDT. There's one attached for audio in the original post - put it in /kexts/Other and that should do the trick for you.

@DutchJan

I have not been able to boot into Mojave yet. Can you share your Clover version and your config.plist please? If I get it working I would write a newer version of the guide.

I did a clean install last version clover... (dont use usb3)

I did a clean install last version clover... (dont use usb3)
Looks like the USB-3 solved it!

I've got a fully working Mojave now - obviously bar the NVidia Card.

happy hacking!
littlegreen

Nice..... even sleeps working love this motherboard....

Hi all,
I am brand new to Hackintoshes and this site.
I would like to install my first Hackintosh and see how it goes.
My computer is based on this Gigabyte Z170-HD3P, Intel i5 6600 and 8GB Kingston Hyper-x ram. There are also two HDD's and one Crucial 256GB SSD.
I am currently using the onboard Intel HD530 video. I may like to install an Nvidia video card in the future as my main operating system is Linux and Nvidia cards have far better support on that OS.
I plan to buy an extra 128GB SSD for Mac Os.
I have read several threads, in order to learn and understand the basics on how to proceed.
There are a couple of questions I would like to ask.
1) This guide refers to El Capitan but if I understand correctly using a more recent version of Mac Os may give less issues and better compatibility. Which version do you suggest at this point? Mojave? Sierra?
2) I don't mind having to spend days with configuring/installing the Mac Os. What I absolutely need is to be always able to boot the other Os'es (Win 10 and Linux) installed.
I have found some threads about multi booting but I am still confused about the best way to do this. Do you have any thread/suggestions that may be definitive with this regard? So far I have used and configured Lilo, Grub, GAG and windows bootloader.

Appreciate any help.

Hi all,
I am brand new to Hackintoshes and this site.
I would like to install my first Hackintosh and see how it goes.
My computer is based on this Gigabyte Z170-HD3P, Intel i5 6600 and 8GB Kingston Hyper-x ram. There are also two HDD's and one Crucial 256GB SSD.
I am currently using the onboard Intel HD530 video. I may like to install an Nvidia video card in the future as my main operating system is Linux and Nvidia cards have far better support on that OS.
I plan to buy an extra 128GB SSD for Mac Os.
I have read several threads, in order to learn and understand the basics on how to proceed.
There are a couple of questions I would like to ask.
1) This guide refers to El Capitan but if I understand correctly using a more recent version of Mac Os may give less issues and better compatibility. Which version do you suggest at this point? Mojave? Sierra?
2) I don't mind having to spend days with configuring/installing the Mac Os. What I absolutely need is to be always able to boot the other Os'es (Win 10 and Linux) installed.
I have found some threads about multi booting but I am still confused about the best way to do this. Do you have any thread/suggestions that may be definitive with this regard? So far I have used and configured Lilo, Grub, GAG and windows bootloader.

Appreciate any help.

Hey gijii,

Welcome to the forum! And welcome to hackintoshing.
Congratulations on your system choice - I don't have my board anymore, but money-to-performance I've always thought it's been great!

To answer your questions:
1) The guide will generally work for most MacOS versions. I would suggest you stick to High Sierra 10.13.6 - it will give you compatibility with your NVidia graphics card when you get one, whilst Mojave will not.

2) Clover will always give you options to boot in either OS no problem. It detects them and boots into them just fine in my experience. I would strongly suggest though, that you disconnect all drives while installing MacOS to make sure no bootloader mix-ups and mis-haps.

I would suggest you read the guide and then read it again. And then again. Also - skim through the thread - there's plenty of useful information which, sadly, is not curated in the OP. However - what is there, is SSDTs, exemplary config.plists and useful instructions that (mostly) work!

Last but not least - I'd suggest you go for at least 250GB SSD for your MacOS install. I thought 120 will do me just fine, however, once set up you tend to find yourself using the OS most of the time(if not all!) and the disk space melts!

Post any questions you may have and I shall try and answer as best as I can.

Happy hacking!
littlegreen

Z170 motherboards are the most stable ones I have seen for macOS. It doesn't need a lot of tweaking or kext drivers. It sleeps and wake normally without crashing or rebooting. My Z97 motherboard randomly reboot sometimes.

Hey gijii,

Welcome to the forum! And welcome to hackintoshing.
Congratulations on your system choice - I don't have my board anymore, but money-to-performance I've always thought it's been great!

To answer your questions:
1) The guide will generally work for most MacOS versions. I would suggest you stick to High Sierra 10.13.6 - it will give you compatibility with your NVidia graphics card when you get one, whilst Mojave will not.

2) Clover will always give you options to boot in either OS no problem. It detects them and boots into them just fine in my experience. I would strongly suggest though, that you disconnect all drives while installing MacOS to make sure no bootloader mix-ups and mis-haps.

I would suggest you read the guide and then read it again. And then again. Also - skim through the thread - there's plenty of useful information which, sadly, is not curated in the OP. However - what is there, is SSDTs, exemplary config.plists and useful instructions that (mostly) work!

Last but not least - I'd suggest you go for at least 250GB SSD for your MacOS install. I thought 120 will do me just fine, however, once set up you tend to find yourself using the OS most of the time(if not all!) and the disk space melts!

Post any questions you may have and I shall try and answer as best as I can.

Happy hacking!
littlegreen

Littlegreen,

thanks a ton for your reply and your willingness to help while you no longer own this piece of hardware.
I am happy and feel lucky to have chosen this motherboard. I understand it is a good starting point and should not give big issues in installation and configuration.
I will stick to your suggestion and install High Sierra. Hopefully this will save me time and troubles.
I do not care a lot for the size of the SSD as I have a couple of HDD's where I will make a partition where to store my files.
Hope to start off my hackintoshing career on the right foot!

Ok, I just wanted to reply since I announced my first Hackintosh almost three months ago...
I eventually decided to buy a Radeon FX570 8GB video card as I found out they are quite well supported on Linux and better supported on MacOS.

Yesterday I finally managed to install High Sierra on my hardware. It took me a while to have the installer find the SSD.
Had to copy the install files and reboot the installation.
I now have to Multibeast the system to install Clover but I need to look for a guide about how to do that and how to install kext's and edit plists.
The network works OOB so I am already able to connect to internet. The system found updates (I guess system updates).
Can I install them or updates have to be done differently than on original Mac hardware?
Is it possible to upgrade version (e.g from High Sierra to Mojave) through Apple store or a new installation is needed not to screw up the system?
I didn't have time to thoroughly test the system as it was late.
CPU, ram and video card were recognized. The biggest issue is the screen has a pinky tone. The screen shows the white apple on black while booting then if flickers and turns green on pink screen.
I have to search for a fix for this too.
Anyway, thanks for all the postings and support!

The network works OOB so I am already able to connect to internet. The system found updates (I guess system updates).
Can I install them or updates have to be done differently than on original Mac hardware?
Is it possible to upgrade version (e.g from High Sierra to Mojave) through Apple store or a new installation is needed not to screw up the system?
You shouldn't have to reinstall Clover to do a system upgrade. When upgrading OS, make sure your current OS is working with the latest kexts. You might want to backup the current system just in case (copy it to a different partition and rename it). Some updates require a restart. Clover will show an Install update option for your OS. Just select that option for each restart until that option is not there anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back