Contribute
Register

Updated from Mojave - Catalina (sleeps for 2 hours then wakes up)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Acer Aspire A715-74G-78KF
CPU
i7-9750H
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hi Guys.

I'm having an issue with my MacBook Pro, it sleeps for 2 hours then promptly wakes up from sort of a nightmare it would seem :):lol: . This cycle repeats itself every 2 hours.

On Mojave 10.14.6 there was NO PROBLEM.

After upgrading directly to Catalina 10.5.2 I'm having the following issue:

First Symptom was : Every 2 hours

Code:
[powerd:sleepWake] Wake from Normal Sleep [CDNVA] : due to RTC XDCI CNVW GLAN/Lid Open

Remedy: I fixed this by change the Power Management methods in each device XDCI CNVW GLAN to return GPRW(0x0D, 0)(RTC has no such methods).

The Symptom Now is: Every 2 hours

Code:
[powerd:sleepWake] Wake from Normal Sleep [CDNVA] : due to RTC/HID

Please see sleep log.txt attached. Following the time lines in the log file reveals:
2020-01-22 13:11:45.204227+0200 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleRTC) RTC: Maintenance 2020/1/22 13:11:43, sleep 2020/1/22 11:11:45
2020-01-22 15:11:44.000027+0200 localhost kernel[0]: PMRD: clamshell closed 0, disabled 1, desktopMode 0, ac 1 sleepDisabled 0
2020-01-22 15:11:48.465250+0200 localhost powerd[71]: [powerd:sleepWake] Wake from Normal Sleep [CDNVA] : due to RTC/HID Activity

This patterns repeats every 2 hours with a short burst of wake where login screen shows for a few seconds and then turns off and it goes back to sleeps for another 2 hours.

We have also followed guides and changed the power sleep settings for hibernatemode, standby and autopoweroff as per here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-native-power-management-for-laptops.175801/.

The darkwake setting in Clover is darkwake=0.

PS Hint: Not sure if it is related. I was able to compare sleep logs from Mojave (which works) and Catalina (does not work)

Just before the system goes to sleep the sleep log files both under Mojave and Catalina reveals the following assertions:
Code:
bluetoothd[111]: (IOBluetooth) [com.apple.bluetooth:CBXPCManager] kIOMessageSystemWillSleep; going to sleep...

HOWEVER, the next line is interesting, it is ONLY in Catalina and not in Mojave:
Code:
loginwindow[132]: [com.apple.loginwindow.logging:Standard] SleepWakeCallback_block_invoke |      Ignore system sleep, we trigger on display sleep only

Another HINT: almost 20 lines in the log files further, seconds before sleeps start the following assertions can be found for Mojave:
Code:
kernel[0]: PMRD: sleep factors 0x2a08c6 , LidOpen, ACPower, StandbyDisabled, USBExternalDevice, RTCAlaramScheduled, AutoPowerOffDisabled, ExternalDisplay, LocalUserActivity

While Catalina shows on this line:

Code:
kernel[0]: PMRD: sleep factors 0x300886 , LidOpen, ACPower, USBExternalDevice, RTCAlaramScheduled, NetworkKeepAliveActive, LocalUserActivity

So, Common sleep factors are:
Code:
LidOpen, ACPower,USBExternalDevice, RTCAlaramScheduled and LocalUserActivity

What is not in Catalina is:
Code:
StandbyDisabled, AutoPowerOffDisabled and ExternalDisplay

While Catalina have assertions of type: NetworkKeepAliveActive that is not in Mojave
Code:
NetworkKeepAliveActive

THEN, 2 lines below this, assertions for Mojave reveals:
Code:
kernel[0]: PMRD: clamshell closed 0, disabled 1, desktopMode 1, ac 1 sleepDisabled 0

While Catalina assertions give:
Code:
kernel[0]: PMRD: clamshell closed 0, disabled 1, desktopMode 0, ac 1 sleepDisabled 0

Here, desktopMode = 1 for Mojave while 0 for Catalina.

Lastly, Only Catalina shows an assertion split seconds before sleep of:
Code:
sharingd[394]: [com.apple.sharing:Daemon] Clamshell change detected (clamshell closed: NO, clamshell sleep on close: NO)

To summarize then, the major difference in assertion between Mojave and Catalina is:
- SleepWakeCallback_block_invoke
- NetworkKeepAliveActive to not keepAlive or turn wifi off
- desktopMode to set to 1 and not 0
- clamshell sleep on close; NO to set to Yes

After these lines, log files shows system goes to sleep for 2 hours. After 2 hours it wakes with login screen showing for a few second and then it will go back to sleep.

As you can see, i have done some details analysis here, but I don't know if these difference are related to the issue specifically under Catalina ?

I have tried to google these difference, but to be honest it does not help much. I also notice that darkwake=4 and 8,10 is no more under Catalina, See here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/darkwake-deciphered.236850/

I'm still having no luck, assistance here would be very helpful.

Thank you

Attachments

• debug_22643.zip
    5.6 MB · Views: 92
  • pmset.txt
    485 bytes · Views: 264
  • Sleep log.txt
    52.8 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
I noted that apparently this is an ongoing issue with macs running Catalina. The main reason is the OS is checking for notifications every 2 hours, something that is called "enhanced push notifications" ......

BUT, I have a desktop running Catalina and it is fine with sleep.

Can someone confirm is this is true ?

I have the same problem. Did you manage to solve it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back