Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
I have finally updated from 10.13.4 to 10.13.6, but lost use of my USB 3.0. Last time I applied this patch, and I see a few posts here saying that a patch isn't needed...not sure what to do. I saw another post from Stork saying that we might have to update our kexts from the download folder, but I'm not sure which ones need updating. Any help would be appreciated.

I have finally updated from 10.13.4 to 10.13.6, but lost use of my USB 3.0. Last time I applied this patch, and I see a few posts here saying that a patch isn't needed...not sure what to do. I saw another post from Stork saying that we might have to update our kexts from the download folder, but I'm not sure which ones need updating. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi there.

If your motherboard is the one in your Profile then only some of your USB3 ports are easily configurable. It features a 'piggy-back' USB chip from Renesas, that works alongside the main Z97.

What you need to do to configure the main, Z97 ports:

1) Make sure USBInjectAll kext is installed.
2) Enable the port-limit removal patch.
3) Run IORegistryExplorer to check if the XHC tree section is visible. Also check for EHC (Might be called USBE or EUSB or EHC1 etc). You can rename controllers if necessary, see ...
4) Use one of the guides (or here) to create an SSDT to configure your ports. Place it in the EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.
5) Remove or disable the port-limi removal patch.
6) Reboot.

What you need to do to configure the Renesas ports:

Not much you can do, sadly. They might work to some extent without any action needed. You can try installing GenericUSBXHCI.kext. This used to enable these ports but as it hasn't been updated since 2015 and often does not work with the latest macOSs. However, this might explain why the ports were okay with Sierra but not with High Sierra.

Note though that these ports do not figure in the 15-port limit imposed by Apple, but are treated as external/add-on ports.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back