Asus Prime Z370-A
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 1050 Ti
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Hi All,

I had a working installation (including Thunderbolt) on 10.13.6. I have managed to get here from the original 10.13 fresh install throughout the years without any hickup. A week ago I have updated my Clover (as a prep to replace the Nvidia card with an Rx580) to 5133, also updated Lilu, WhateverGreen to the latest version, also Clover Configurator to 5.17.4.4 and since then I cannot boot anymore...
IMG_7278.JPG

Booting into safe mode (disabling reboot on panic) gets me here:
IMG_7277.JPG

I can boot from a freshly made High Sierra USD drive: graphics is back to on-board Intel level, but at least I have access to my files and I can post here for some help.

Attaching the config.plist, perhaps somebody can help to discover what's missing or not right for the new Clover build... let me know if you need the EFI folder.

I do have copies of the old kexts (Lilu, WEG, etc.) in Library/Extension folder, but nothing in S/L/E. Should I delete these?

Attachments

• config.plist
    2.8 KB · Views: 76
A week ago I have updated my Clover

The two versions of Clover are significantly different with a new folder structure and the addition of Quirks to the config.plist meaning that you cannot reuse the same config.plist unedited with both versions as you could previously.

The two versions of Clover are significantly different with a new folder structure and the addition of Quirks to the config.plist meaning that you cannot reuse the same config.plist unedited with both versions as you could previously.
OK, understood. The kexts were already in 'Other' from the beginning, so I hope this is OK now as well. What else should I change in the config.plist? Comparing it to the config.plist on the USB, I don't see any significant changes... Should I copy the USB version to the harddrive EFI folder?

You might read the Clover change log.

There have been similar posts here previously, the forum Search tool may help.

from the github page:
I am sorry to say but this is not really helpful. I cannot locate the changelog on the GitHub page (is there one?), and even if I could, I do not know what I need to look for to understand what to change in the config.plist file.

Searching the forum for "Clover update" gave a lot of hits without anything resembling my problem.

Anybody can check the config.plist file to tell me what to change to get back into a working installation?

Hi All,

I had a working installation (including Thunderbolt) on 10.13.6. I have managed to get here from the original 10.13 fresh install throughout the years without any hickup. A week ago I have updated my Clover (as a prep to replace the Nvidia card with an Rx580) to 5133, also updated Lilu, WhateverGreen to the latest version, also Clover Configurator to 5.17.4.4 and since then I cannot boot anymore...
View attachment 517940

Booting into safe mode (disabling reboot on panic) gets me here:
View attachment 517941

I can boot from a freshly made High Sierra USD drive: graphics is back to on-board Intel level, but at least I have access to my files and I can post here for some help.

Attaching the config.plist, perhaps somebody can help to discover what's missing or not right for the new Clover build... let me know if you need the EFI folder.

I do have copies of the old kexts (Lilu, WEG, etc.) in Library/Extension folder, but nothing in S/L/E. Should I delete these?
Ah, well, personally I don't see why an update of Clover is needed in your case. I run High Sierra 10.13.6 on my systems using Clover 4428. On my first and second systems I have a RX 580 and Clover 4428 has no problems with them.

As others mentioned Clover versions beyond 5123 are significantly different as it incorporates elements of OpenCore to boot Big Sur. If you don't run Big Sur then in my opinion there is really no point in updating Clover.

Do you wish to move to Big Sur in the future?

Last edited:
As others mentioned Clover versions beyond 5123 are significantly different as it incorporates elements of OpenCore to boot Big Sur. If you don't run Big Sur then in my opinion there is really no point in updating Clover.

Do you wish to move to Big Sur in the future?
Thank you for being actually helpful. I did not know that Clover v5133 is significantly different so an update (by CloverConfigurator) will brick the install. :crazy:

Indeed, I have acquired an RX580 and has the intention to upgrade to Catalina and (as soon as music making is supported) to Big Sur. Hence my original idea to follow the following sequence: 'update Clover', 'remove NVidia', 'install RX580', 'upgrade system', which hit the wall in the first step. :banghead:

So, after thinking about it, I will first copy my previous EFI folder to the boot partition and try to get back my working system. Back up everything, change the video card and try to upgrade to Catalina.

The question in my head (being a noob and all): instead of reverting to the old Clover version, simply copy the latest Clover EFI folder from the USB stick and then add the additional options I have now? Can I do this, for example, from the Clover Shell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back