Contribute
Register

Updated Clover & Kexts, now system won't boot (doesn't even hit Darwin)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock Z270 Pro4
CPU
Intel Core i5 7600k
Graphics
ASUS Vega 64 Strix OC
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I realize it was probably a bad idea to update all this at once, but here is what I did:

-Updated Clover
-Updated apfs.efi
-Updated kexts:
AppleALC.kext
FakeSMC.kext
Lilu.kext
WhateverGreen.kext

Now when I try booting the system I get as far as this and the system hangs: freeze.png

Any ideas of what could cause the freeze at this point? Possibly apfs.efi?

I realize it was probably a bad idea to update all this at once, but here is what I did:

-Updated Clover
-Updated apfs.efi
-Updated kexts:
AppleALC.kext
FakeSMC.kext
Lilu.kext
WhateverGreen.kext

Now when I try booting the system I get as far as this and the system hangs:View attachment 351044

Quite possible for a significant change in the CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder contents or changes in config.plist ACPI, Devices and or Graphics, Rt Variables Sections could all cause KP.

If you have saved a copy of prior EFI on an external disk , you may be able to access your System disk's EFI Partition though Recovery Disk >Utilities>Terminal or if Dual booting with Windows can access EFI through Windows and copy and paste the EFI Folder to replace the bad one causing current problem. If you have a working USB installer disk see if you can boot and reach Clover Boot Manager screen and switch to your system disk at CBM , hoping its EFI will assist System disk to reach the desktop and fix the issue.

Quite possible for a significant change in the CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder contents or changes in config.plist ACPI, Devices and or Graphics, Rt Variables Sections could all cause KP.

If you have saved a copy of prior EFI on an external disk , you may be able to access your System disk's EFI Partition though Recovery Disk >Utilities>Terminal or if Dual booting with Windows can access EFI through Windows and copy and paste the EFI Folder to replace the bad one causing current problem. If you have a working USB installer disk see if you can boot and reach Clover Boot Manager screen and switch to your system disk at CBM , hoping its EFI will assist System disk to reach the desktop and fix the issue.

Unfortunately I don't have an EFI backup, but I am able to access the partition via Windows.

I do already reach the Clover Boot Manager, it's just when I try to boot macOS that it freezes at the point in the screenshot. I haven't made any changes to config.plist, but I wonder if the new version of Clover has slightly changed the formatting requirements of that file.

For now I've tried removing all kexts except FakeSMC and I still get no boot.

Is there anywhere I can find a default config.plist file sample?

Unfortunately I don't have an EFI backup, but I am able to access the partition via Windows.

I do already reach the Clover Boot Manager, it's just when I try to boot macOS that it freezes at the point in the screenshot. I haven't made any changes to config.plist, but I wonder if the new version of Clover has slightly changed the formatting requirements of that file.

Can you just take and upload the pictures of:

• CBM screen with device icons
  • Options>Boot Args-
  • Options>Graphics Injector->
I can then visualize better your current situation and I might be able to suggest a way out.

I don't have Asrock mobo.
I can upload a config.plist from a GA-z270 system(https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ming-i7-7700k-intel-hd-630-radeon5450.239427/) . But ,as you know, config.plist is just a cheat sheet for all the contents of CLOVER including drivers64UEFI and kexts/Other.

I can edit my Clover from a z270 and upload if you want to try that.

Can you just take and upload the pictures of:

• CBM screen with device icons
  • Options>Boot Args-
  • Options>Graphics Injector->
I can then visualize better your current situation and I might be able to suggest a way out.

Here are the 3 pictures and I've also attached my config.plist.

P.S.: Any idea how to hide all my other partitions? :)

IMG_0568.jpeg IMG_0567.jpeg IMG_0566.jpeg

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.7 KB · Views: 167

-Updated Clover
-Updated apfs.efi
-Updated kexts:
AppleALC.kext
FakeSMC.kext
Lilu.kext
WhateverGreen.kext

Now when I try booting the system I get as far as this and the system hangs:View attachment 351044

Hit space bar and try verbose and safe mode. The prelinkedkernel and kernel are not loading. +++++++++++++++++++++

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 51
Hit space bar and try verbose and safe mode. The prelinkedkernel and kernel are not loading. +++++++++++++++++++++
I agree with this approach. That was my reason for asking to post those images. Hoping that his EFI folder contents have been fixed and the proper 'AptioFixDrv' are retained, disabling Nvidia web driver by removing the [√]Use Nvidia Webdriver through CBM>Options and booting in Verbose Mode is the only thing short of installing a new EFI folder in the EFI Partition of the Disk via Windows. EasyUEFI can be used through Windows 10 -64 in UEFI mode to access EFI of the locked out High Sierra System disk to give it a new CLOVER with required files.

Edit: hiding the unwanted icons from CBM screen caused by installing the system in APFS mode in SSD can be done through CLOVER>config.plist> Gui>Hide Volume Section >Add (+) type in Preboot to the list and Save config.plist ( I use Clover Configurator Clover Configurator (Global Edition) for mounting EFI and editing config.plist)

Last edited:
I agree with this approach. That was my reason for asking to post those images. Hoping that his EFI folder contents have been fixed and the proper 'AptioFixDrv' are retained, disabling Nvidia web driver by removing the [√]Use Nvidia Webdriver through CBM>Options and booting in Verbose Mode is the only thing short of installing a new EFI folder in the EFI Partition of the Disk via Windows. EasyUEFI can be used through Windows 10 -64 in UEFI mode to access EFI of the locked out High Sierra System disk to give it a new CLOVER with required files.

Edit: hiding the unwanted icons from CBM screen caused by installing the system in APFS mode in SSD can be done through CLOVER>config.plist> Gui>Hide Volume Section >Add (+) type in Preboot to the list and Save config.plist ( I use Clover Configurator Clover Configurator (Global Edition) for mounting EFI and editing config.plist)

Another thing that would help is to disconnect the Sata cables to the other drives until it’s loaded and working.

Another thing that would help is to disconnect the Sata cables to the other drives until it’s loaded and working.
That's true . Also OP has probably installed Windows 10 in Legacy mode because Config.plist shows in Gui Section >Scan [√] Legacy.
He may have to hide unnecessary Legacy HD# (noting the labels of Windows disk icons from CBM screen). All these things are relevant only if he can boot and reach the Desktop!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back