Contribute
Register

Updated 2013-08-16: MacMan's Haswell Test Build: Core i7-4770K + GA-Z87X-UD5H

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

you can forget my previous post, I reinstall using Chimera 2.1 and by installing the FakeSMC

now I can boot without any specific option, system seems to be stable under 10.8.5.

Will update my Signature ... ;)

hi,
i also got a gb z87x ud5h with i7 4770k. currently using internal graphics before i install a gb gtx 770 windforce.
my bios is currently on f4 and i am only able to boot with -x otherwise i will get stuck with grey screen and apple logo.
but when i start with -x most things work fine except audio which i normaly play via apple tv to my stereo.
i have attached a lg 29ea93-p monitor @ 2560x1080 works fine. also have a wifi module tp-link 450mbps dual band works also fine.

any idea or news about the booting issues and no audio via apple tv? would be great :)

btw i do not have problems with my usb. seems to work fine for me. i tried several usb sticks and hdds no problems there. i have a thermaltake level 10 case with 2 usb3 and 4 usb2 on top and front case.

also my blue ray dvd writer is working out of the box.

cheers, will

edit:
i got my audio working via apple tv which is fine for me :) i didnt really change a thing tried to play shadowgun and there it was. also working via itunes now.
apperture wont start since graphics do not match minimum system requirements :(

I wish you luck, but I'm sure Haswell will be supported when 10.9/10.8.5 come out, or after Haswell is used in apple devices.

Yup!

10.8.5 had a couple hiccups with my build (video-related, white screen w/pointer, regardless of what I used) but 10.9 has been very smooth; only "GraphicsEnabler=No" was needed to get to login screen.

My specs:

Gigabyte Ga-Z87X-UD5H (BIOS rev F7)
Two 8GB RAM (DDR3, CL9)
ATi 7870 video (Gigabyte brand), 2GB VRAM (GraphicsEnabler=No for use, but this field is not needed during Mavericks install!)
Intel 4770K CPU (not yet overclocked, and while that cost more than the 4770 non-K version, I would have disabled VT-D as there's more overhead and the gains for a single-user setup are not there... Parallels has always been fine and dandy anyhow... and, oops, I just read it's recommended it be disabled for OS X anyhow, LOL! So now I'm off to try to overclock... this should be fun. I wonder if Prime95 is available for Linux... )

I will eventually update my media server from 10.8.5 to 10.9 (GA-Z68X-UD3-B3, ATi 6870).

Heck, maybe Mavericks will work on my Asus G75VW-BBK5... but I doubt it.

Hi Macman,
Hope all is well with you and TonyMac. I've got this same setup and installed Mavericks on it. Right now I only have one drive (Samsung SSD), single partition and using internal DVI graphics hooked up till we get the kinks out. Ultimately it will be a dual boot like the rest of my systems with multiple drives and a GTX-760 graphic card.

It's pretty vanilla at this point but i suspect some of the defaults from Multibeast 6 or bios defaults might be causing problems. What should be a simple process seems to be a little complicated with the new Multibeast 6.

The install went fine however I could only boot using -x and Multibeast didn't seem to load drivers correctly. I have no sound and still can't get a boot without -x. I used default no DSDT settings plus the proper audio and lan kext, no other changes just using the Multibeast defaults. I'm wondering if some of these are problematic and incompatible with this system. The Mac 3.1 system definition doesn't seem right for one default and as mentioned I have no sound and still can't boot without -x. Do you have any insight on this?
Thanks in advance.

Hi Macman,
Hope all is well with you and TonyMac. I've got this same setup and installed Mavericks on it. Right now I only have one drive (Samsung SSD), single partition and using internal DVI graphics hooked up till we get the kinks out. Ultimately it will be a dual boot like the rest of my systems with multiple drives and a GTX-760 graphic card.

It's pretty vanilla at this point but i suspect some of the defaults from Multibeast 6 or bios defaults might be causing problems. What should be a simple process seems to be a little complicated with the new Multibeast 6.

The install went fine however I could only boot using -x and Multibeast didn't seem to load drivers correctly. I have no sound and still can't get a boot without -x. I used default no DSDT settings plus the proper audio and lan kext, no other changes just using the Multibeast defaults. I'm wondering if some of these are problematic and incompatible with this system. The Mac 3.1 system definition doesn't seem right for one default and as mentioned I have no sound and still can't boot without -x. Do you have any insight on this?
Thanks in advance.

You don't have audio as you are only able to boot in safe mode. If you researched the correct audio codec from Gigabyte's website, then you have probably installed the correct driver/kext from MultiBeast, along as you haven't tried others to try and make it work. A Suggestion is to boot into your BIOS and set Init Display First to PCI and disable the onboard Intel graphics. Press F10 save and exit, let the system boot to your first boot priority which should be the P0 *your installation drive* by its self.

You don't have audio as you are only able to boot in safe mode. If you researched the correct audio codec from Gigabyte's website, then you have probably installed the correct driver/kext from MultiBeast, along as you haven't tried others to try and make it work. A Suggestion is to boot into your BIOS and set Init Display First to PCI and disable the onboard Intel graphics. Press F10 save and exit, let the system boot to your first boot priority which should be the P0 *your installation drive* by its self.

Unless there is a mismatch between the manual and the hardware, audio is alc898 which is what is chosen. We don't have a graphic card installed yet, only the onboard DVI. We can make the change to use the PCI first when installed. The hard drive is on sata controller 0. I have a hunch that with the simplified Multibeast 6 that makes choices for you, some may not be correct. I'm wondering if data exists on this build and what Multibeast choices were made that work.
Thanks,

Unless there is a mismatch between the manual and the hardware, audio is alc898 which is what is chosen. We don't have a graphic card installed yet, only the onboard DVI. We can make the change to use the PCI first when installed. The hard drive is on sata controller 0. I have a hunch that with the simplified Multibeast 6 that makes choices for you, some may not be correct. I'm wondering if data exists on this build and what Multibeast choices were made that work.
Thanks,

For now if you are using the onboard, set Init Display First to IGFX. I can assure you that with the selections you have chosen in MultiBeast that they are correct. What Monitor/Cable are you using? VGA isn't supported in OS X.

For now if you are using the onboard, set Init Display First to IGFX. I can assure you that with the selections you have chosen in MultiBeast that they are correct. What Monitor/Cable are you using? VGA isn't supported in OS X.

We are using the DVI port and cable. We don't use VGA.

10.9 no ?

Here's the build I put together yesterday to start testing and will be updating as I make progress.

CPU Core i7-4770K
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H
RAM 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3
Case Corsair Carbide 600T
Power Supply Corsair HX650M

Initial Results 2013-06-02:

Will not boot using a standard 10.8.3 UniBeast stick as the stock OS X kernel does not recognize the Haswell CPU.
Chimera needs to be updated to add Haswell support.

Update 2013-06-05:

OS X 10.8.4 doesn't contain any support for Haswell.

Update 2013-06-07:

Good news, bad news.

The good is I have it booting 10.8.3 using a custom kernel I built to support it.

The bad is that the CPU speed is being reported incorrectly due to no support for Haswell in Chimera. This will be fixed in Chimera 2.1.

Update 2013-08-16:

Great news, Apple released the source for the 10.8.4 kernel yesterday. So today I've released HaswellHelper 1.0.0 to install my kernel http://www.tonymacx86.com/379-haswellhelper-enhanced-10-8-4-kernel-now-available.html and tonymacx86 has created an installation guide using it at http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...lation-guide-haswell-systems-10-8-4-only.html . We've released these tools and guides for experimenters only and not recommending Haswell builds for a daily driver.

We are using the DVI port and cable. We don't use VGA.

-I decided to start over by wiping clean the disc and reinstalling the Mavericks OS from the USB stick.
-I got audio to work by going to TailChaser build and using these settings:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/members/tailchaser/albums/customac-pro-2013/73105-multibeast.png
Important here is that I changed my system definition to iMac 14,2

-I installed a graphics card instead of using DVI out of the motherboard DVI port.

-In bios i loaded optimized defaults, made the PCIe first display device, disabled Intel graphics and used the P0 Samsung EVO SSD boot priority instead of UEFI. It booted once perfectly and then reverted back to needing -x to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back