Contribute
Register

Update Your OS X Mountain Lion App to 10.8.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Update Your OS X Mountain Lion App to 10.8.5

APP? When did a full blown operating system downgrade to the status of an app?.. I'm not judging.. I'm just saying that in this new world where "there's an app for that" is a cute and catchy phrase... is there no respect for the actual OS? Has the OS become another app which is merely run on some hardware?

Apple may refer to everything as an "app" but I think we should give it the dignity it deserves.

APP? When did a full blown operating system downgrade to the status of an app?.. I'm not judging.. I'm just saying that in this new world where "there's an app for that" is a cute and catchy phrase... is there no respect for the actual OS? Has the OS become another app which is merely run on some hardware?

Apple may refer to everything as an "app" but I think we should give it the dignity it deserves.

In the article, I refer to the Application "Install Mac OS X Mountain Lion", as an App because it resides in the /Applications folder and is updated at every point update. The OS is different, as that is the result of installing the app.

Used combo updater on Z77-DS3H/Core i3 IB. Ran MultiBeast 5.4.1 with appropriate audio drivers. All is well, but keyboard would only work at boot for login when in one of the top pair of USB slots. I did apply the USB 3.0 driver in MB -- don't know if this hurt or helped. Am very glad that I always have a known-good clone drive created with CCC. Sounds like Time Machine is really not helpful for a lot of reasons.

The combo update worked great with the following configuration:

Intel Core i7-3770
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3P
ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
IOGear Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter
TP-Link PCI Express Wifi Adapter

As for sound, I use the SSDT to have HDMI sound through a nVidia GTX-660 graphics card, and it also works after the update as it is.

The only thing I did before the update was to remove the GenericUSBXHCI kext installed by MultiBeast, as indicated by many people in the comments. After the update, the USB 3.0 busses were listed in System Information, and I tested a USB 3.0 drive and it worked. USB 2.0 devices didn't work anymore on USB 3.0 ports—although they did on the other USB ports. Installing the GenericUSBXHCI version 1.2.5 kext from http://sourceforge.net/projects/genericusbxhci/, as other people have suggested, resolves this issue.

Apart from updating lots of things, 10.8.5 adds the following under System/Library/Extensions:

• AppleCameraInterface.kext
  • AppleHSSPIHIDDriver.kext
  • AppleHSSPISupport.kext
  • AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext
  • AppleIntelHD5000Graphics.kext
  • AppleIntelHD5000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle
  • AppleIntelHD5000GraphicsVADriver.bundle
  • AppleIntelHSWVA.bundle
  • AppleIntelLpssDmac.kext
  • AppleIntelLpssGspi.kext
  • AppleIntelLpssSpiController.kext
  • AppleTopCase.kext
  • vecLib.kext

Now, System Information shows a new SPI bus—although not present with my motherboard.

The IOAHCIFamily kext doesn't get updated, so I don't see why it'd be necessary to re-apply MultiBeast TRIM Enabler. I've done it anyways and it doesn't change anything under System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext.

The only issue I have found is that when programs that run in the toolbar are loading, there is a pause of around a minute. Then, the rest of the programs load. I've tried removing iStat Menus and the Apple MRT tool, but it still happens. Recreating the boot cache didn't help either. Also, I've noticed that System Information won't open until this "pause" is finished. The system.log shows this:

Sep 14 20:25:02 Perfidia.local com.apple.SecurityServer[15]: Session 100002 created
Sep 14 20:25:37 Perfidia.local GrowlLauncher[366]: Launching Growl at URL: file://localhost/Applications/Growl.app/Contents/MacOS/Growl
Sep 14 20:25:37 Perfidia kernel[0]: CODE SIGNING: cs_invalid_page(0x1000): p=380[GoogleSoftwareUp] clearing CS_VALID
Sep 14 20:25:37 Perfidia.local TabletDriver[375]: Finish launching /Library/Application Support/Tablet/WacomTabletDriver.app/Contents/Resources/WacomTouchDriver.app
Sep 14 20:25:37 Perfidia.local com.apple.SecurityServer[15]: Session 100010 created
Sep 14 20:25:37 Perfidia com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[260] (com.apple.CoreLocationAgent[398]): Check-in of Mach service failed. Already active: ah_serv_trigger.v1:398
Sep 14 20:25:37 Perfidia.local BetterTouchTool[391]: Initialized
Sep 14 20:25:37 Perfidia.local BetterTouchTool[391]: running
Sep 14 20:25:37 Perfidia.local TabletDriver[375]: Finish launching /Library/Application Support/Tablet/WacomTabletDriver.app/Contents/Resources/TabletDriver.app
Sep 14 20:25:37 Perfidia.local Growl[395]: Setup timer, this should only happen once
Sep 14 20:25:37 Perfidia.local Growl[395]: Next image check no earlier than 24 hours from 2013-09-13 21:59:00 +0000
Sep 14 20:25:37 Perfidia.local coreservicesd[36]: SendFlattenedData, got error #268435460 (ipc/send) timed out from ::mach_msg(), sending notification kLSNotifyApplicationBirth to notificationID=128
Sep 14 20:25:37 Perfidia.local Memory Clean[396]: This app has been run 109 times

Has anyone also had this problem—and maybe found a solution?

Update installed, not butter smooth but it's expected. For some reason it wouldn't boot after installing 10.8.5 and it would hang on Bluetooth controller time out or something like that. It turns out it was the AppleHDA kext going crazy. Not a big deal, I just booted into Windows and deleted the AppleHDA kext and it booted right back up, then I installed the ALC892 driver from Multibeast and sound started working even without a reboot. USB 3.0 is no good but I'll just wait until the next Multibeast update as I don't really use USB 3.0, other than that everything works with perfect stability.
Specs:
Asrock Z77 PRO3
Core i5 3570k (OC'd to 4.4 Ghz)
EVGA GTX 660 SC
8 GB of ram
Just incase if anybody is having the same issue ;)

Haswell-based system owners beware - 10.8.5 is not compatible out of the box.
Nonsense.

tomymacx86 Please confirm wheather 10.8.5 have native support of haswell or not because many are saying there is no native support for haswell.
Yes, Haswell support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back