Contribute
Register

Update Your Motherboard to the Latest BIOS to Fix Intel Skylake & Kaby Lake HyperThreading Problem

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
HP 17" 17-by3053cl
CPU
i5-1035G1
Graphics
Intel UHD Graphics, 1920x1080
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
From what I read at one of the tech sites was that all MB manufacturers April updates included the hyper thread fix. Just asking and I don't know.
http://wccftech.com/intel-hyperthre...sors-was-addressed-by-bios-fix-in-april-2017/
Be advised, if you are using an i7 or other HyperThreading Skylake or Kaby Lake processor, you will need to update to your motherboard to the latest BIOS version. (It's a good idea to always update your BIOS to correct undocumented bugs.) According to the above article, all Intel motherboard manufacturers were required up provided updated BIOS with processor microcode fixes.

This may "break" NVRAM memory over reboots on some motherboards. Thanks to macbookair, here's a test to see if your motherboard keeps NVRAM over a reboot:
...[a] command to test nvram, in Terminal type:
Code:
sudo nvram MyVar=TestValue
Then type this to show the current NVRAM:
nvram -p
You will see:
MyVar TestValue

After rebooting, type nvram –p in Terminal, and, if you can still see the previous result, then your NVRAM is working...
If this test fails to show "MyVar" is "TestValue", then NVRAM is not saved across reboots. To correct this problem see slim.jim's guide's Problem/Solution #6, or use MultiBeast v9.1 with just selecting the following selection, install and reboot:
Bootloaders > Clover v2.4k r4063 UEFI Boot Mode + Emulated NVRAM​

If you have a question on the above procedure, please open a new thread in either slim.jim's thread or the BIOS/UEFI forum section.

Found an article at Tom's Hardware where Intel responded to that article with the following:
We have already identified this issue and addressed it with a fix that started rolling out in April 2017. As always, we recommend checking to make sure your BIOS is up to date, but the chance of encountering this issue is low, as it requires a complex number of concurrent micro-architectural conditions to reproduce.
Reference:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/hyperthreading-kaby-lake-skylake-skylake-x,34876.html

It seems that Gigabyte only released the BIOS fix to this issue last month for their 200 series motherboards. I only found out about it yesterday and immediately downloaded the fix and installed it to my Z270 system. The system is working fine after the BIOS update but I need to reconfigure the BIOS settings since the update wiped out the previous settings and returned everything to default.

Back