GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU
i5-3570K
Graphics
EVGA GT 640
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello,

I'm trying to update my Hackintosh from Yosemite to Sierra. Having some issues booting from the drive that Sierra was installed to.

Specs:
-GIGABYTE GA-Z77-DS3H
-i5-3570K
-EVGA GT 640
-Samsung 870 EVO 1TB SSD
-32GB RAM - Corsair Vengeance

Followed the standard update process. Downloaded Sierra, made USB install drive with Unibeast, installed from USB over Yosemite perfectly, booted from USB and finished installation, used MultiBeast, then when trying to boot from the drive that Sierra installed to I seem to get a Kernel Panic. It mentions "can't perform Kext scan".

I did some poking around on the forums here and did see an issue similar to mine. The fix mentioned was to use EFI Mounter and copy the EFI from the USB to the drive that Sierra is installed on. Does that seem like a worthy idea to try?

Thanks for any info and help! And I will try and upload a screenshot of the text of the boot fail later today.

Hello,

I'm trying to update my Hackintosh from Yosemite to Sierra. Having some issues booting from the drive that Sierra was installed to.

Specs:
-GIGABYTE GA-Z77-DS3H
-i5-3570K
-EVGA GT 640
-Samsung 870 EVO 1TB SSD
-32GB RAM - Corsair Vengeance

Followed the standard update process. Downloaded Sierra, made USB install drive with Unibeast, installed from USB over Yosemite perfectly, booted from USB and finished installation, used MultiBeast, then when trying to boot from the drive that Sierra installed to I seem to get a Kernel Panic. It mentions "can't perform Kext scan".

I did some poking around on the forums here and did see an issue similar to mine. The fix mentioned was to use EFI Mounter and copy the EFI from the USB to the drive that Sierra is installed on. Does that seem like a worthy idea to try?

Thanks for any info and help! And I will try and upload a screenshot of the text of the boot fail later today.
Are you able to boot Sierra on the disk by using the Sierra USB stick?

If so, yes, try that fix and Sierra should be able to boot from the disk.

Are you able to boot Sierra on the disk by using the Sierra USB stick?

If so, yes, try that fix and Sierra should be able to boot from the disk.
Thanks for the response!

Yes, I am able to boot Sierra on the disk by using the Sierra USB stick. But occasionally I get the prohibitory symbol when trying. But I just swap usb ports and eventually it will work.

I copied the EFI folder from the Sierra USB stick to the boot disk and no dice. Still having the same issue. I"m attaching a picture of the kernel panic text I'm seeing when trying to boot off the Sierra disk without the USB.

Attachments

• PXL_20210225_051719830.LS_000.jpg
    PXL_20210225_051719830.LS_000.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 71
Thanks for the response!

Yes, I am able to boot Sierra on the disk by using the Sierra USB stick. But occasionally I get the prohibitory symbol when trying. But I just swap usb ports and eventually it will work.

I copied the EFI folder from the Sierra USB stick to the boot disk and no dice. Still having the same issue. I"m attaching a picture of the kernel panic text I'm seeing when trying to boot off the Sierra disk without the USB.
Have you installed Clover on the Sierra disk before copying the EFI folder from the USB stick?

Have you installed Clover on the Sierra disk before copying the EFI folder from the USB stick?
I have not.

I just booted into the Sierra disk from USB stick and installed Clover. Recopied USB EFI folder and copied it into EFI folder on Sierra disk.

Restarted machine and let it try to boot off Sierra disk. No luck again. Same results with same kernel panic.

Gave up on this issue and did a fresh and clean install of Sierra. Way smoother! Couldn't figure this issue out, but at least I got to where I wanted to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back