Contribute
Register

Update to OC 0.8.6 breaks macOS - works on OC 0.8.5

remove the drive and see if you can boot to recovery, if you can boot with out the drive, the you know the issue is with your drive
EDIT-- sorry duplicate post here didn't show up when I went to upload the images from the macOS running with images and partially working EFI folder in the next post.

I can't remove the drive as it's the only drive I have in my laptop. It's partitioned so windows 11 and Ventura are both installed on it. My old EFI for monterey still works, but doesn't have the usb, WiFi or Bluetooth.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the drive is the only drive I have in the laptop. It is a GUID partition drive with a windows NTFS partition and a macOS Ventura APFS partition (images below). If I remove it the system won't have anything to boot from.

Oddly with my old EFI (attached here) the macOS works with bluetooth and USB but they're only become available after a delay. Is it possible that the config.plist delays usb ports and this affects the M2 usb/wifi card?
I noticed that in OCAuxiliaryTools (OCAT) that some of the kexts are older. maybe the latest ones won't work on my system when updating them via OCAT?

I seem to be chasing my tail. As soon as I update the confing.plist so its complaint with OC Validate, nothing works, system resets when booting and errors I posted previously keep appearing.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-20 at 11.34.09.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-20 at 11.34.09.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot 2022-11-20 at 11.37.26.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-20 at 11.37.26.png
    185.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot 2022-11-20 at 11.37.33.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-20 at 11.37.33.png
    184 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot 2022-11-20 at 11.44.49.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-20 at 11.44.49.png
    233.9 KB · Views: 36
  • EFI.zip
    9.3 MB · Views: 52
Unfortunately the drive is the only drive I have in the laptop. It is a GUID partition drive with a windows NTFS partition and a macOS Ventura APFS partition (images below). If I remove it the system won't have anything to boot from.

Oddly with my old EFI (attached here) the macOS works with bluetooth and USB but they're only become available after a delay. Is it possible that the config.plist delays usb ports and this affects the M2 usb/wifi card?
I noticed that in OCAuxiliaryTools (OCAT) that some of the kexts are older. maybe the latest ones won't work on my system when updating them via OCAT?

I seem to be chasing my tail. As soon as I update the confing.plist so its complaint with OC Validate, nothing works, system resets when booting and errors I posted previously keep appearing.
I've manually updated your EFI from OC v0.8.5 to v0.8.6 .
Updated the Drivers and 1 Kext (AppleALC.kext)
config.plist updated.
ocvalidate found the following errors below due to the update;

Code:
OpenCanopy.efi is loaded at UEFI->Drivers, but Misc->Boot->PickerMode is not set to External!
CheckMisc returns 1 error!

AudioDxe.efi at UEFI->Drivers[0] must have LoadEarly set to FALSE!
HfsPlus.efi at UEFI->Drivers[3] must have LoadEarly set to FALSE!
OpenCanopy.efi at UEFI->Drivers[4] must have LoadEarly set to FALSE!
OpenRuntime.efi at UEFI->Drivers[2] should have its LoadEarly set to FALSE unless OpenVariableRuntimeDxe.efi is in use!
CheckUefi returns 4 errors!

- All the errors are self explanatory so to fix PickerMode = External
- Those Drivers mentioned fixed their LoadEarly set to False

To fix that last error, OpenRuntime.efi , LoadEarly set to True still but I enabled OpenVariableRuntimeDxe.efi
and errors gone.

Attachments

• EFI Sluisga_OC_v0.8.5 to v0.8.6.zip
    8.7 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:
I've manually updated your EFI from OC v0.8.5 to v0.8.6 .
Updated the Drivers and 1 Kext (AppleALC.kext)
config.plist updated.
ocvalidate found the following errors below due to the update;

Code:
OpenCanopy.efi is loaded at UEFI->Drivers, but Misc->Boot->PickerMode is not set to External!
CheckMisc returns 1 error!

AudioDxe.efi at UEFI->Drivers[0] must have LoadEarly set to FALSE!
HfsPlus.efi at UEFI->Drivers[3] must have LoadEarly set to FALSE!
OpenCanopy.efi at UEFI->Drivers[4] must have LoadEarly set to FALSE!
OpenRuntime.efi at UEFI->Drivers[2] should have its LoadEarly set to FALSE unless OpenVariableRuntimeDxe.efi is in use!
CheckUefi returns 4 errors!

- All the errors are self explanatory so to fix PickerMode = External
- Those Drivers mentioned fixed their LoadEarly set to False

To fix that last error, OpenRuntime.efi , LoadEarly set to True still but I enabled OpenVariableRuntimeDxe.efi
and errors gone.
Thanks for your relentless help with this Robbish, I used the EFI you provided and again it does load (yay!) But Bluetooth and WiFi again are not working. I will persist and tinker with the settings and read more online how the kexts should be used. Then if working I'll provide more info once it is. Thanks again!

Thanks for your relentless help with this Robbish, I used the EFI you provided and again it does load (yay!) But Bluetooth and WiFi again are not working. I will persist and tinker with the settings and read more online how the kexts should be used. Then if working I'll provide more info once it is. Thanks again!
Hi, can you go on Hackintool > Pci tab and select Export and then post the .txt file

Also in Hackintool > usb tab can you do a screenshot of your usb ports so I can see where the Bluetooth is ?

Hi, since last checking tonymac I have changed the bluetooth/wifi controller to the Broadcom M2 : BCM4360NG - which is known to work as native wifi/bluetooth in macOS13. I also removed all airport and brcm kexts from the config.plist and kexts folder in EFI.

However it's also known to not work properly in Windows 11 (hanging/crashing etc) without the correct drivers, but I managed to find these easily by googling "BCM4360NG drivers fenvi"

Attachments

• pcidevices.txt
    3.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot 2022-11-25 at 15.24.29.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-25 at 15.24.29.png
    64.7 KB · Views: 26
Hi, since last checking tonymac I have changed the bluetooth/wifi controller to the Broadcom M2 : BCM4360NG - which is known to work as native wifi/bluetooth in macOS13. I also removed all airport and brcm kexts from the config.plist and kexts folder in EFI.

However it's also known to not work properly in Windows 11 (hanging/crashing etc) without the correct drivers, but I managed to find these easily by googling "BCM4360NG drivers fenvi"
Hi sluiga,
so is your Bluetooth and Wifi working now that you have replaced your laptop's Dell DW1820A card for the Fenvi m.2 BCM4360NG and removed all of the brmBlutooth and Airport kexts from your EFI ?

Hi sluiga,
so is your Bluetooth and Wifi working now that you have replaced your laptop's Dell DW1820A card for the Fenvi m.2 BCM4360NG and removed all of the brmBlutooth and Airport kexts from your EFI ?
Yes. Thanks for your previous help with this it was definitely appreciated!

Yes. Thanks for your previous help with this it was definitely appreciated!
Cool,
I was going to try a Device Properties patch for your laptop's Dell DW1820A however your Fenvi card negates that now so all good :thumbup:

I've noticed that you have 2 SSDTs that do the exact same thing; SSDT-EC-USBX.aml and another named SSDT-EC-USBX-LAPTOP.aml so you should remove one of them however before you do, read on..

Testing for elimination of unwanted Files and Patches
If you want to test any of this out, you do not need to remove anything Instead, you should make a backup of your config.plist and then Disable the following in your config.plist;

USBX-LAPTOP.aml
1669467979970.png

Save, Exit and Reboot

Next, the Dortania guide for Laptop > Kabylake states to use SSDT-GPIO.aml however if that has issues (mentioned in screenshot below) then you use SSDT-XOSI.aml instead (not both).

1669467522163.png

So.. Disable SSDT-XOSI.aml
1669468421684.png

and Disable the ACPI patch for SSDT-XOSI.aml
1669468884778.png

Save, Exit and Reboot

If No issues then this means you only need the SSDT-GPIO.aml

If you do have issues then the SSDT-XOSI.aml and it's ACPI Patch are needed and should both be Re-Enabled

Save, Exit and Reboot

Now you can try Disabling SSDT-GPIO.aml instead.
1669470515012.png

Save, Exit and Reboot

NOTE: If you do end up removing any ACPI's then make sure to do a Cmd+R (OC snapshot), Save, Exit and Reboot to keep the integrity of the config.plist.

Lastly, (and unrelated to the testing above) because you are dual booting with Windows, you should make following changes to your config.plist (shown below) so that Windows OS recognises your system as "HP Pavilion 14-bk1xx" and not as "Dortania" ;
  • Kernel > Quirks > CustomSMBIOSGuid : True
  • PlatformInfo > UpdateSMBIOSMode : Custom
  • Save, Exit and Reboot into Windows
  • Type msinfo in Windows Search and it should now display all your PC information correctly.

Last edited:
Back