Motherboard
ASRock H97M-ITX/AC
CPU
i3-4170
Graphics
HD4400
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
I have a Sierra build running on an ASrock H97M-itx board with a spinning HDD as the boot / storage drive (there is a 64GB partition on the drive for the OS). I'm getting ready to update to High Sierra and as part of this process would like to install a SSD as a new boot drive.

I'm thinking that the process to follow would be:
  1. Install the new SSD on one of my spare SATA ports.
  2. Clone the existing 64GB partition that hosts the OS to the new SSD (using SuperDuper)
  3. Install the latest version of Clover to the new SSD (using MultiBeast)
  4. Mount the EFI partition for the existing 64GB Sierra and copy the EFI folder to the desktop. Unmount the EFI partition.
  5. Now mount the EFI partition of the new SSD and copy the EFI folder from the desktop to the EFI partition of the SSD
  6. Modify BIOS boot options so that the system boots from the new SSD
  7. Follow the guide to do a direct update from Sierra to High Sierra
Appreciate if someone could confirm that this is the correct (and simplest) means through which to upgrade to having High Sierra on the SSD.

Thanks in advance.

I have a Sierra build running on an ASrock H97M-itx board with a spinning HDD as the boot / storage drive (there is a 64GB partition on the drive for the OS). I'm getting ready to update to High Sierra and as part of this process would like to install a SSD as a new boot drive.

I'm thinking that the process to follow would be:
  1. Install the new SSD on one of my spare SATA ports.
  2. Clone the existing 64GB partition that hosts the OS to the new SSD (using SuperDuper)
  3. Install the latest version of Clover to the new SSD (using MultiBeast)
  4. Mount the EFI partition for the existing 64GB Sierra and copy the EFI folder to the desktop. Unmount the EFI partition.
  5. Now mount the EFI partition of the new SSD and copy the EFI folder from the desktop to the EFI partition of the SSD
  6. Modify BIOS boot options so that the system boots from the new SSD
  7. Follow the guide to do a direct update from Sierra to High Sierra
Appreciate if someone could confirm that this is the correct (and simplest) means through which to upgrade to having High Sierra on the SSD.

Thanks in advance.
No need for step 3.

Pilgrim......thanks for the quick response. For my own education I have a couple of follow-up questions.

Does the SuperDuper clone process copy Clover to the new SSD?

Is a EFI partition present on ever drive that is formatted as HFS+ on a Mac?

Would you advise that I disable the conversion to AFPS when upgrading to High Sierra?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back