Contribute
Register

Update on Gigabyte P55 User Builds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still am running my Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD4 built in mid 2010. This is my daily use machine and is still running strong with 10.10.3 installed (just need time to update to 10.10.4.) I have updated the video card a couple of times and am now using an SSD for all storage, but still the original i7 CPU and 8 GB of memory. Using an SSD for OS and applications is the real trick for making a machine last these days.

For those with sleep issues, my 10.10 install guide has instructions for setting the darkwake kernel variable along with a link to the research it is based on.

Hehe, this is the build I was looking at when I built my own Hackintosh 5 years ago.

Upgraded to Clover, Fusion Drive and R9 280 in the mean time, and it's still going strong! :)
Only issue on my way from 10.6 to 10.10 was iMessage so far (but I guess every hackintosh had problems with this), not a single problem beside that.

I have a DFI Lanparty P55 board, which I'm using in my mod (Converting an old 20" G4 into something usable- "For the Love of Mod"). I can't imagine a faster mac. It's rocking an i5 750 downclocked to 2Ghz and it's so snappy. And running on a ten year old iMac 190W PSU.

Using it primarily for Photo work and the adobe creative suite, for editing a monthly magazine. It really can't be beat- hah. I'm amazed the whole thing cost me less than £150. :eek:

Just had a conversation with an irate friend who bought a brand new iMac a few months back- he's going to sell up as his mac is too slow- for web browsing and occasional Lightroom use!

Hi:

For your SSD upgrade did you pair it with a SATA III controller card. If so, is there a verification of the SATA III 6GB (or 5.5GB)/s speed?

Congrats on this guy still going strong. My Intel-Q6600 running on an Intel DG33EC is still going strong with 10.9.3, going to try to update it to 10.10.4 next fortnight. This machine is a considerable trouble though, but once I get it stable, it's very stable. With an SSD and 8GB RAM, it's pretty faster than any mac os it's day (2007) outside of the mac pro (ok,ok, and xserve). I've got everything working on it except Sleep/wake, and iMessages.

Hi:

For your SSD upgrade did you pair it with a SATA III controller card. If so, is there a verification of the SATA III 6GB (or 5.5GB)/s speed?

The SSD is plugged into the onboard SATA II connectors. The big difference between a HD and SSD is seek time and moving the OS to an SSD provides a noticeable speed improvement. Having enough SSD storage for all my documents doesn't provide much for me. If you are dealing in manipulating large files (photos, audio, video) then the extra speed of SATA III may make a difference.

My office rig is a GA P55 USB3 with a FX 5770 and a I5 processor. Runs all day long rock solid. It was my second build. First build was a biostar g31-m7 te with core 2 also running.

Congrats on this guy still going strong. My Intel-Q6600 running on an Intel DG33EC is still going strong with 10.9.3, going to try to update it to 10.10.4 next fortnight. This machine is a considerable trouble though, but once I get it stable, it's very stable. With an SSD and 8GB RAM, it's pretty faster than any mac os it's day (2007) outside of the mac pro (ok,ok, and xserve). I've got everything working on it except Sleep/wake, and iMessages.
I also have a Q6600 which is probably 7 or 8 years old, running 10.9.5 but have been unable to get it to run 10.10 any version.. i would be very interested to know how you go with getting this oen to work. its my home media server so doenst do much intensive work at all.

My other build is a P55A built in August 2010, running 10.10.4 with chameleon bootloader, havent tried clover with it yet as chameleon is working (if it aint broke...)

Hah I am still using a very similar setup

Gigabyte P55M-UD4, i5-750.

Almost 6 years now.

SSD grew to 1TB over the years, and it got an AMD 7750 graphics card, as it is/was the fastest passive card than could be bought. Nowadays the GPU is a bit of a pain in the ass, needing some plist patching, but otherwise everything is running smooth. Hardware development really runs much slower than some years ago, or we are just lucky on a temporary "good-enough" plateau for now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back