Contribute
Register

Update HP Laptops to Yosemite with Clover UEFI

A Google search led me to the advice of installing the Kext wizard...and rebuilding the kext cache..which I did..and now sound works again :)

It is also mentioned in post #1.

My computer is an elite book 840 G1 with hybrid graphics.

Hi neuroman, or the others :)

i have a question:
I saw that you are able to have yosemity 10.10 on your 840 elitebook...
I have one too, but the bios is password protected, so i can not switch to EFI... is it possible to install 10.10 there without doing anything in the bios?
Actual what I need to do with multibeast to get it starting the install is:
patch the kernel because of early reboot problem with the haswell and to add "-no-zp -x -v" as boot flags.
But during install suddenly the laptop reboots and I have no clue what to do now.
should/could I use clover without EFI enabled in the bios?

thanks,
bigcheese

i have a question:
I have one too, but the bios is password protected, so i can not switch to EFI... is it possible to install 10.10 there without doing anything in the bios?
patch the kernel because of early reboot problem with the haswell and to add "-no-zp -x -v" as boot flags.
But during install suddenly the laptop reboots and I have no clue what to do now.

thanks,
bigcheese

You will need control over your BIOS settings to follow the guide in post #1.

Any other discussions are off-topic.

i have a question:

thanks,
bigcheese

+1 on the bios password. You will likely need to contact HP or your IT department for this. Do not know how to do it otherwise. It is technically possible with Chimera/Chameleon but a lot more difficult.

Good luck.

Thanks so much! Updated from 10.9.5 on a 4540s. No problems once I figured the instructions out, but it took some time to do that.

I know this will sound stupid, but I wasn't sure I was supposed to check the clover uefi box. Of course item #2 of this guide says to update clover, but in my mind that was a general statement referring to running PBI. IOW, I thought simply running PBI is equivalent to updating clover. Would have been great if the guide explicitly says to check this box. I know it seems obvious, but it's not.

Would have been great if the guide says don't expect to see anything happen when you hit f4.

When I read all the posts here, I can relate to a lot of folks who seem clueless and do dumb stuff and SEEM like they aren't following directions, but it's only because the guides are written in rather general terms for experienced users. The rest of us google until we think we have some grasp of what's going on but ultimately end up only about 75% sure, click a few boxes and hold our breath. 25% of the time we get a black screen like I did on my first attempt.

I don't think it's laziness on the part of most of us idiots. It's difficult to know when the answer is really out there, and at what point you're wasting you time searching and just have to bite the bullet and experiment. It's a steep learning curve with no centralized resource to put it all the pieces of required info together. Even here it's tough. For instance, what is kext wizard? Where is it? How do you use it? I searched here and couldn't find the answers. I'm sure it's here somewhere, but it's not obvious. Finally I found it on my desktop in the tools folder, and I didn't even know the folder was there. And what do you do when you get a black screen? Another question who's answer is buried in here somewhere I'm sure, but how big is the pile of worthless search results you have sift through to find it? Sure you can glean bits of info here and there in various threads but nothing that explains exactly what to do. I got it going again mainly through trial and error. I'd still be on a red herring scavenger hunt if I relied on searching- What's a plist? How do I get to it if I have a black screen? Boot flags?...

Hope this doesn't sound like bitter complaining. I'm extremely grateful for this site and all the generous contributors, nguyenmac, rehabman, and tonymacx86 just to name a few. Just trying to give some perspective of what it's like to be an experienced newbie.

Thanks so much! Updated from 10.9.5 on a 4540s. No problems once I figured the instructions out, but it took some time to do that.

I know this will sound stupid, but I wasn't sure I was supposed to check the clover uefi box. Of course item #2 of this guide says to update clover, but in my mind that was a general statement referring to running PBI. IOW, I thought simply running PBI is equivalent to updating clover. Would have been great if the guide explicitly says to check this box. I know it seems obvious, but it's not.

Would have been great if the guide says don't expect to see anything happen when you hit f4.

When I read all the posts here, I can relate to a lot of folks who seem clueless and do dumb stuff and SEEM like they aren't following directions, but it's only because the guides are written in rather general terms for experienced users. The rest of us google until we think we have some grasp of what's going on but ultimately end up only about 75% sure, click a few boxes and hold our breath. 25% of the time we get a black screen like I did on my first attempt.

I don't think it's laziness on the part of most of us idiots. It's difficult to know when the answer is really out there, and at what point you're wasting you time searching and just have to bite the bullet and experiment. It's a steep learning curve with no centralized resource to put it all the pieces of required info together. Even here it's tough. For instance, what is kext wizard? Where is it? How do you use it? I searched here and couldn't find the answers. I'm sure it's here somewhere, but it's not obvious. Finally I found it on my desktop in the tools folder, and I didn't even know the folder was there. And what do you do when you get a black screen? Another question who's answer is buried in here somewhere I'm sure, but how big is the pile of worthless search results you have sift through to find it? Sure you can glean bits of info here and there in various threads but nothing that explains exactly what to do. I got it going again mainly through trial and error. I'd still be on a red herring scavenger hunt if I relied on searching- What's a plist? How do I get to it if I have a black screen? Boot flags?...

Hope this doesn't sound like bitter complaining. I'm extremely grateful for this site and all the generous contributors, nguyenmac, rehabman, and tonymacx86 just to name a few. Just trying to give some perspective of what it's like to be an experienced newbie.

Making mistakes and starting over is part of the learning process.

FYI: A google search for 'Kext Wizard' shows a promising link as the first item listed.

FYI2: Spotlight search (Command+Space) is an easy way to search for apps (such as 'Kext Wizard') and documents that are on your system.

I think it is great that you did exactly what most people *should* do. When it didn't work initially, you went back to determine what you did wrong and read the instructions more carefully. That's great, and if more people did that, they'd learn more and it would avoid answering the same questions over and over.

If you want more about hackintosh, I have a general guide for you.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298027-guide-aio-guides-for-hackintosh/

Hi guys! I have an post-install issue with ProBook 4540s. Can you help me?

I created a new thread here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...robook-4540s-10-10-3-beta-1-a.html#post986274

I removed your post.

Please read the rules: http://www.tonymacx86.com/faq.php

"Prerelease Software or Developer Builds are covered by NDA and therefore there cannot be any discussion of features included or removed within said software. The NDA also prohibits the distribution of any component contained within these releases. There will be no discussion of installing, help with installing or documenting the use of this type of software. Repeated violations of this rule will result in a permanent ban."

Finally updated!! :thumbup:
The whole process of upgrading from Chimera -> Clover and then from Mavericks -> Yosemite was easier than I anticipated it to be! It was as smooth as updating a real MBP if not easier! Kudos to Rehabman, nguyenmacu and everyone who made it possible! I just followed the guides to the T, at first guide seemed to be a general approach but as I started doing it, everything fell into place.

Back