Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-H170M-DS3H
CPU
i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz
Graphics
HD 530
Hi Hackintoshers,
I built my hackintosh fairly early in the Sierra days. It's run beautifully ever since, with the usual sleep/wake issues associated in integrated graphics, but has been a great machine. I once tried updating to High Sierra, had my screen go black upon booting up, panicked, worked endlessly with a black screen to somehow, using command line, load a backup I'd made and restored my machine. Ever since that day, I've been terrified to try to update.
Now, here is where certain things have changed:
1) I'm no longer a student and I now have money to buy a GPU if needed to alleviate issues.
2) I've (at least I'm trying to convince myself that I have) recovered from my fear of updating and am willing (reluctantly) to try again (mostly because I'm beginning to not be able to run certain software because my OS is getting old.)

I've lurked on the forum a bit but my questions are as follows:
a) What GPU (inexpensive, I'm not into gaming) should I buy to guaranty I don't have issues post install?
b) Is it safe to go from 10.12.3 straight to Mojave?
c) Is my current setup of Gigabyte Ga-H170M-DS3H motherboard going to be supported?

Thanks ahead of time for your help! I'd love to get my hackintosh updated, because at this rate, I'll be the guy running 10.12.3 in 2028 because it still mostly works and I'm too scared to update alone.

I built a new rig last year from the ground up and pretty much used this forum as a basis for the parts. Use the buyers guide, they have Amazon links to most of them and then look at as many guides for ease of install etc.
I can't extol the Asus ROG Strix Z390 boards for ease of install enough @ModMike has an excellent install guide.
Regarding your questions, your mobo and CPU should run Mojave/Catalina no problem at all, there are some good installation guides for it.
Interestingly, another mod (see this post) uses genuine Apple ssd drives which apparently solves sleep/wake issues.

Hi Hackintoshers,

I built my hackintosh fairly early in the Sierra days. It's run beautifully ever since, with the usual sleep/wake issues associated in integrated graphics, but has been a great machine. I once tried updating to High Sierra, had my screen go black upon booting up, panicked, worked endlessly with a black screen to somehow, using command line, load a backup I'd made and restored my machine. Ever since that day, I've been terrified to try to update.

Now, here is where certain things have changed:
1) I'm no longer a student and I now have money to buy a GPU if needed to alleviate issues.
2) I've (at least I'm trying to convince myself that I have) recovered from my fear of updating and am willing (reluctantly) to try again (mostly because I'm beginning to not be able to run certain software because my OS is getting old.)

I've lurked on the forum a bit but my questions are as follows:
a) What GPU (inexpensive, I'm not into gaming) should I buy to guarantee I don't have issues post install?
b) Is it safe to go from 10.12.3 straight to Mojave?
c) Is my current setup of Gigabyte Ga-H170M-DS3H motherboard going to be supported?

Thanks ahead of time for your help! I'd love to get my hackintosh updated, because at this rate, I'll be the guy running 10.12.3 in 2028 because it still mostly works and I'm too scared to update alone.

Your system should be compatible with MacOS Mojave.

I would recommend you get a second disk to try to install Mojave on. If you run into problems with Mojave you can still fall back to Sierra if necessary. And if possible disconnect the Sierra drive before trying to install Mojave. Or do you want to directly upgrade to Mojave inside Sierra?

If you can get an older, second hand, but still working, GTX 760 it should work with both Sierra and Mojave. Of course, knowing that Apple only uses AMD GPUs now, it should be better to get a new RX 560 / RX 570 / RX 580 (which works with MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 and above, including Mojave and Catalina).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back