Motherboard
GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU
i5-3570K
Graphics
EVGA GT 640
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Wanting to update my Hackintosh from Mountain Lion to High Sierra. Trying to see what the best way forward is. Don't really want to start from scratch. Looking to just do an simple OS update to my machine.

Specs:
-GIGABYTE GA-Z77-DS3H
-i5-3570K
-EVGA GT 640 (upgrading to Sapphire RX 580)
-Samsung 870 EVO 1TB SSD
-32GB RAM - Corsair Vengeance

Should I just follow the standard Tony Mac Guide for High Sierra? Or is there a better way to do it, since I want to just do an OS update?

Also when should I install the new RX 580 video card I have? Before or after the installation of High Sierra?

Thanks for any assistance!!!

Hi there,

You could try following this guide here. It is for a Z77 motherboard in both Sierra and confirmed to work in High Sierra, so it should work. > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/ga-z77-d3h-sierra-clover-guide.223132/

My advice would also be to do a backup of your current system including the EFI folder, before you try using the guide above. And yes it is best to use the Unibeast/Multibeast USB key method for High Sierra for installation, and then migrate the data over minus the computer settings once it is complete - because upgrading the OS over a previous may one cause issues during booting of the new system (I've experienced this before). A clean vanilla install will avoid this.

As regards to using the newer video card, it is advised to try removing all cards, boot only with the Intel making sure it works first, and then install the AMD card afterwards plus add Clover settings. AMD acceleration should work with Use only darkwake=8 and -disablegfxfirmware in the boot-args, also possibly shikigva=128. If you want VDA decoding ie. HVEC/Intel Quicksync, you'll have to add the AAPL,ig-platform-id and device-id values too in your Devices/Properties section of Clover for the Intel GPU.

Just make sure that prior to data migration, that your previous OS System/Library/Extensions and Library/Extensions folders does not have any spare injected kexts that may cause issues. ie. Lilu, FakeSMC.kext etc.

You will also need Lilu.kext and Whatevergreen.kext in your EFI/Clover/kexts/Other folder to run the card.

Hi there,

You could try following this guide here. It is for a Z77 motherboard in both Sierra and confirmed to work in High Sierra, so it should work. > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/ga-z77-d3h-sierra-clover-guide.223132/

Hi Middleman,

So when I built this Hackintosh, however many years ago, I used the Chimera bootloader/method I believe.

It's my understanding that Clover has replaced Chimera? Is this correct and do I need to get Clover installed on my machine prior to the update?

Yes for installations up to High Sierra Clover has replaced Chimera. And yes Clover has to be installed because it is the bootloader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back