CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
RX 5500 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello guys, I'm sorry for bothering but I have tried upgrading from Mojave (10.14.6) to Catalina through the updater and I keep getting stuck with a prohibited sign (screenshots attached below). I have also tried booting with -s and -x but none of them worked and got the same error.

*PLEASE NOTE*: unlike all the other "waiting for root device" threads that I've found, in this case I am NOT booting from a USB but rather my SSD after running the direct updater.

My config:
- ROG Maximus VIII Impact, i7 6700k, RX 590
- Clover 5098 (I also tried -s and -x)
- Clover setup when I updated it:
Install Clover for UEFI booting only
Install Clover to the ESP
EmuVariableUefi-64
AptioMemoryFix
VBoxHfs
ApfsDriverLoader
- Before running the updater I also checked that I already had fakesmc.kext in Efi/clover/kexts/other.

Could you guys please help me solve my issue?

Thanks in advance

P.S.: go full-screen on the two attached pictures because somehow the forum cuts the last lines (i.e. the most relevant part) in the preview

Attachments

• IMG_2386.jpg
    IMG_2386.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2387.jpg
    IMG_2387.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Stop vs Prohib.png

It's not a stop sign.

Still.png

Search for still waiting for root device.

I have updated the thread, I hope it is clearer now :)

I have updated the thread, I hope it is clearer now :)

If you see "still waiting for root device" when booting from USB it is usually a USB controller issue but when booting from the HDD it is often a SATA controller problem.
If your motherboard has Intel ports then you should connect the drive to one of those as they have native support.
For other controllers you may need a kext (eg AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext).

If you see "still waiting for root device" when booting from USB it is usually a USB controller issue but when booting from the HDD it is often a SATA controller problem.
If your motherboard has Intel ports then you should connect the drive to one of those as they have native support.
For other controllers you may need a kext (eg AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext).
Thanks for you suggestion!
The real problem here is that my board only has 4 native Intel SATA ports (it's mITX) and my drive is connected to one of them. Also the problem only appears when trying to install Catalina, my Mojave install runs great without needing any extra kexts.
Do you have any other ideas on the cause of this weird problem?

That's unfortunate, I hope someone else knows the solution!

I wonder if maybe I should change something in clover setup or use some other kext/config file?

That's unfortunate, I hope someone else knows the solution!

I wonder if maybe I should change something in clover setup or use some other kext/config file?
i have same problem
can you fix this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back