Contribute
Register

Update from Mojave to Catalina, now it reboot while loading progress bar. Need help :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 570
Hello,

I just updated to Catalina. The update went fine until it tried to do the first normal boot after installation. I have updated to the latest whatevergreen but same result. Tried with and without whatevergreen. Save mode, same result. Loading without kext same result.

I read that catalina and rx570 graphics card some say you need to add -disablegfxfirmware in the config.plist. Do I need to in my case also? And if so, I do not know how? I know how to find the config.plist, but do not know how to add -disablegfxfirmware for example. I also read that some say you need to remove the -disablegfxfirmware and I checked but it is not in there. As said I do not know for sure if that is the solution?

I someone can help me out that would be great!

Thank you,
Glenn

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-16 at 20.49.12.jpeg

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 40
I realized I did not pressed F2 and F4 when boot verbose. I did now.
85B51806-13B0-4EBC-A275-69E1E1B7DD7D.jpeg

Tried to boot with IGPU, but same result.

Also tried booting with:
agdpmod=pikera
or
agdpmod=ignore
or
-disablegfxfirmware

No success unfortunately.

Tried to boot with IGPU, but same result.

Also tried booting with:
agdpmod=pikera
or
agdpmod=ignore
or
-disablegfxfirmware

No success unfortunately.
Hi there.

What make is your RX570 ? It should be fine without any modifications to the set-up.

You have a confusion in your UEFI drivers. You have two folders with drivers in them when you only need one. It is clear you have upgraded at some point to a newer Clover version.

You should remove the "drivers64UEFI" folder. It contains an APFS driver loader you already have in drivers/UEFI (the newer layout).

I have also edited your config.plist a little. Give it a test to see if it makes any difference - along with the driver removal above.

Remember to keep a UniBeast installer USB stick handy in case something will not boot and you need a rescue disk. :thumbup:

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.2 KB · Views: 45
Hi there.

What make is your RX570 ? It should be fine without any modifications to the set-up.

You have a confusion in your UEFI drivers. You have two folders with drivers in them when you only need one. It is clear you have upgraded at some point to a newer Clover version.

You should remove the "drivers64UEFI" folder. It contains an APFS driver loader you already have in drivers/UEFI (the newer layout).

I have also edited your config.plist a little. Give it a test to see if it makes any difference - along with the driver removal above.

Remember to keep a UniBeast installer USB stick handy in case something will not boot and you need a rescue disk. :thumbup:

Hey!

I tried all your suggestions and loaded your config.plist.

Unfortunately the boot responds exactly the same.

I hope you have some other ideas :)

Glenn

Not sure if this is helpful but made another verbose.

And I have a Sapphire Pulse RC 570 4GB

unnamed.jpg

Hey!

I tried all your suggestions and loaded your config.plist.

Unfortunately the boot responds exactly the same.

I hope you have some other ideas :)

Glenn

Sorry that didn't help.

Check what other disks you may have in your system and that they don't have EFI partitioons with EFI folders in them. As macOS is at disk location disk3s2 that implies you have other drives in there.

Otherwise, a quick Site Search (always a recommendation) brings up other builders who have had success with your motherboard and a similar RX GPU:

Sorry that didn't help.

Check what other disks you may have in your system and that they don't have EFI partitioons with EFI folders in them. As macOS is at disk location disk3s2 that implies you have other drives in there.

Otherwise, a quick Site Search (always a recommendation) brings up other builders who have had success with your motherboard and a similar RX GPU:

That is correct. And is my ccc backup of Mojave. You suggest unplugging and try again?

That is correct. And is my ccc backup of Mojave. You suggest unplugging and try again?
Tried without the ccc drive and same result.

I will check your link and see if other run into the same problem. Did a lot of searching already by trying to explain the situation.

Thank you!

As far as I recall CCC doesn't back-up the EFI partition so it shouldn't cause confusion. However if you partitioned the back-up disk as GUID then there might be one. Check there's no EFI folder in it if so.

I'd recommend reading the successful build I linked to. He's gone from Mojave to Catalina too. What could be more useful?

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back