Update from El Capitan to Mojave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X-UD5
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
Intel > Need full model number > See Forum Rules!
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hi there,
I have built my current hackintosh for pro audio uses back in 2017. Since then I have kept it running offline without any updates to ensure compatibility and usability with the software I am using.
Then my MacBook died, and I needed to get a new one. That is running on Mojave, and I had to update some of my software to use it on there as well. While I still can use my hackintosh some features are not downwards compatible, and now I'm thinking about updating my complete system to Mojave.
Now my question is: can I basically erase the current installation and do a fresh set up on my "old" hardware? Are there compatibility issues with my build and Mojave? Is it even possible to create a new installation medium and "start fresh" or should I update the machine in a different way?

Also a second question: I am thinking about adding a graphics card to the build, to use two monitors. Can you recommend some simple card compatible with my build with two outputs?

Thanks for your input!

My build:
Intel i7 6700K Skylake
Gigabyte GA-Z170X UD5
Crucial 8GB DDR4 (4x)
no Graphics Card, using onboard graphics

Hi there,
I have built my current hackintosh for pro audio uses back in 2017. Since then I have kept it running offline without any updates to ensure compatibility and usability with the software I am using.
Then my MacBook died, and I needed to get a new one. That is running on Mojave, and I had to update some of my software to use it on there as well. While I still can use my hackintosh some features are not downwards compatible, and now I'm thinking about updating my complete system to Mojave.
Now my question is: can I basically erase the current installation and do a fresh set up on my "old" hardware? Are there compatibility issues with my build and Mojave? Is it even possible to create a new installation medium and "start fresh" or should I update the machine in a different way?

Also a second question: I am thinking about adding a graphics card to the build, to use two monitors. Can you recommend some simple card compatible with my build with two outputs?

Thanks for your input!

My build:
Intel i7 6700K Skylake
Gigabyte GA-Z170X UD5
Crucial 8GB DDR4 (4x)
no Graphics Card, using onboard graphics
Yes, your system should be compatible with MacOS Mojave. And yes, you can erase your current El Capitan installation and perform a fresh install of Mojave.

A supported AMD graphics card like the RX 560 / RX 570 / RX 580 will be the way to go if you need a separate graphics card. A simpler card like the Nvidia GT710 (DDR3 version) should also work but it may not work with future MacOS versions.

If you don't mind getting a second hand graphics card you may also consider something like a GTX 760 or Radeon HD 7870.

Thank you very much for the reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back