Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87MX-D3H-CF
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
GTX 770
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
I wanted to update my os (its about time...)
Lurking a bit in the forums (like one does before an update) I saw someone say that if I have MacPro3,1 I cant update to High Sierra. I saw in my system report that I do have MacPro3,1, so what could I update to and how to do that?

thanks

Ofre

I saw in my system report that I do have MacPro3,1, so what could I update to and how to do that?

MoBo.png

First you will need a motherboard.

Download and run Clover Configurator.
Mount your EFI partition.
Open your config.plist.
Edit the SMBIOS - Change to iMac14,2.
Save the edited config.plist.
Quit Clover Configurator.
Restart

First you will need a motherboard.
yes ofcorse! I have a motherboard, I just need to find the model name... I couldnt on the mac, not very used to it... Ill quickly boot windows and Ill be back...

Ok, done. now should I do what you said? or is my hardware too old?
and if I do, what next?
Download and run Clover Configurator.
Mount your EFI partition.
Open your config.plist.
Edit the SMBIOS - Change to iMac14,2.
Save the edited config.plist.
Quit Clover Configurator.
Restart

Is it possible I dont have a config.plist ? I mount my drive but there is only a folder name APPLE inside...

Is it possible I dont have a config.plist ? I mount my drive but there is only a folder name APPLE inside...
Three possible scenarios here.
1. You are using Chimera not Clover.
2. You have mounted the wrong drive.
3. You installed Clover in Legacy mode and your /EFI folder is on your system drive.

Three possible scenarios here.
1. You are using Chimera not Clover.
2. You have mounted the wrong drive.
3. You installed Clover in Legacy mode and your /EFI folder is on your system drive.

yes, how would I find out which of them is true?

yes, how would I find out which of them is true?
You could ask the person that installed the boot loader.

With your hardware Clover should be installed in UEFI mode (In the EFI partition).
If you have Chimera it will be in a folder called /Extra on your system partition.
If you installed Clover in Legacy mode it will be in a folder called /EFI on your system partition.

You need Clover to boot High Sierra.

You could ask the person that installed the boot loader.
Well unfortunately it was me, but a younger more handsome version of the old forgetful me which is now. It was about 4/5 years ago...

When I mount the only Efi partition I have using clover configurator I get (except the hidden folders) one folder called EFI->APPLE->EXTENSIONS and a file called Firmware.scap thats it...
The folder I am mounting is on the right drive (its my osx system ssd) but its called Recovery HD...

I have chimera. whats next? can I still update to something a bit newer? or in order to update I need to reinstall the whole thing?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back