Contribute
Register

Update Directly to macOS Monterey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upgrading my HackMini8,1 from Big Sur 11.6.2 to Monterey 12.1 required one change to my CFL UHD630 DeviceProperties. I needed to change patched framebuffer connector type Dual-Link DVI <04000000> to HDMI <00080000>. Details below.

I'm using DP->DVI video adapters to drive multiple displays from the three DP ports on my HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini (Q370 Chipset, i9-9900, UHD 630). With Catalina and Big Sur, I patched framebuffer connector type to Dual-Link DVI <04000000> to enable the DP->DVI adapters. With Monterey, Dual-Link DVI <04000000> is no longer supported. I found that changing the patched connector type to HDMI <00080000> perfectly enables my DP->DVI video adapters with both Big Sur 11.6.2 and Monterey 12.1.

Note that use of DP->DVI video adapters requires a "mobile" framebuffer (I use AAPL,ig-platform-id 0x3e920000, although I found that other 3-connector "mobile" framebuffers work fine, too). Use of a "desktop" framebuffer (e.g., AAPL,ig-platform-id 0x3e9b0007) results in booting to blackscreen with DP->DVI adapters.

Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 9.57.52 PM.png

Please post your question(s) as a standalone thread in the Monterey Desktop Support forum section. Violators will have their post removed.

I updated successfully,
From Big Sur to Monterey, with a lot of struggle!
Simply reading the manuals out there I managed to update this.

-Asus P8Z68 V-Pro -1º edition
-Intel Core i7 2600k (Sandy Bridge)

Attachments

• Captura de ecrã 2022-02-22, às 11.59.12.png
    Captura de ecrã 2022-02-22, às 11.59.12.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 124
Has anyone successfully upgraded straight to Monterey from Catalina using clover?

Anyone successfully upgraded straight to Monterey from Catalina using clover?
First, this is the wrong place to get help with an upgrade. You'll need to create a new support thread in Monterey Desktop Support. https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/monterey-desktop-support.209/

The Clover version that works with Monterey is very different than the one designed for Catalina. Trying an in place upgrade will probably fail. It would be better if you switched to OpenCore completely and use the latest version of that instead.

First, this is the wrong place to get help with an upgrade. You'll need to create a new support thread in Monterey Desktop Support. https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/monterey-desktop-support.209/

The Clover version that works with Monterey is very different than the one designed for Catalina. Trying an in place upgrade will probably fail. It would be better if you switched to OpenCore completely and use the latest version of that instead.
Hopefully this might be a 'guide' to updating directly from Clover based Catalina?

Dumb question but .. is there a conversion tool to transition from the Clover xml to what's needed by OpenCore?

And will the same OpenCore setup that works on Catalina also work on Monterey (which I think you are stating)?

Hopefully this might be a 'guide' to updating directly from Clover based Catalina?
Yes, post #1 in this thread is primarily about updating Clover to be able to go to Monterey. It's general instructions.
Dumb question but .. is there a conversion tool to transition from the Clover xml to what's needed by OpenCore?
No tool. Use the Dortania guide. Read it if you want to transition to OC: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/clover-conversion/ It's really much easier to start fresh with OpenCore rather than trying to convert from Clover.
And will the same OpenCore setup that works on Catalina also work on Monterey
It needs to be at least OpenCore 0.7.4 and updated kexts to match that version.

Last edited:
It needs to be at least OpenCore 0.7.4 and updated kexts to match that version.
Are you saying that kexts for Monterey will Not work for Catalina - that kexts are Specific to MacOs versions?

If so, how would one directly upgrade? Replace the kexts on the boot EFI at some point in during upgrade process?

Is there a thread on this?

Or - would it be simpler to just install Monterey and then have Monterey pull in all the programs and data from an external boot drive after it's setup and working?

If that failed to install I could always use a Carbon Copy backup to go back to my working Catalina.

Are you saying that kexts for Monterey will Not work for Catalina - that kexts are Specific to MacOs versions?
No. Since Acidanthera updates OpenCore and the kexts that work with it, with every release, you should use the same versions of kexts that came out at the time the new OC version did. Every hack build is unique so you may have to test different versions of kexts for your specific hardware. In the world of hackintoshing one can rarely make statements or claims that apply for everyone that has their unique configuration of hardware and software.

There are now some very good tools like Hackindrom and OCAT that do all the OC and kext updating for you if you want to try those. Then you'll be sure to have everything match up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back