- Nov 17, 2009
- PRIME Z490-A
- i5 10600K
- Vega 56
- Classic Mac
- Mobile Phone
Before you begin, we strongly recommend performing a full backup of your existing system using Carbon Copy Cloner. By doing this, you can always go back to your working macOS Big Sur installation.
Guide: Update Directly to macOS Monterey
1. Update your existing bootloader. Bootloader update to latest OpenCore (0.7.4+) or Clover (r5141+) release- this is required for installation. For the purposes of this guide, we will reference Clover locations.
2. Open Clover configuration folder on the root of your system drive or EFI Partition using EFI Mounter v3. Copy VirtualSMC.kext and any other extra necessary kexts to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/. Updated AppleALC, Lilu, VirtualSMC and WhateverGreen may be required. If you need kexts, download them here. If you need precompiled SSDTs, download them here.
3. Download Install macOS Monterey Application from the Mac App Store. When complete, the app will open. Please note, the Application will disappear after use.
4. Choose system drive for install (Example: Macintosh HD). When complete, the computer will automatically reboot.
5. At Clover boot screen, choose Boot macOS Install option (Example: Boot macOS Install from Macintosh HD). Choosing your system drive will go back to your previous installation without updating.
6. Complete the installation process- the computer will automatically reboot a few times.
7. At Clover boot screen, choose Boot macOS option (Example: Boot macOS from Macintosh HD). The computer will then complete the update.
Let us know how this guide works for you! Please post all help requests in Monterey Desktop Support and Monterey Laptop Support forum sections. Thanks and good luck!
Please post your question(s) as a standalone thread in the Monterey Desktop Support forum section. Violators will have their post removed.
The release version of macOS Monterey (12.0.1) is now available from the Mac App Store. Anyone who has purchased Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, OS X 10.7 Lion, OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, or has OS X 10.9 Mavericks, OS X 10.10 Yosemite, OS X 10.11 El Capitan, macOS 10.12 Sierra, macOS 10.13 High...
Here's a quick guide to create a macOS 12 Monterey Public Beta Installation USB. Please note, this guide is not universal, and may not work for all systems. STEP 1: Download macOS Monterey Public Beta 1. Enroll in the Free Apple Beta Software Program 2. Download Public Beta Access Utility 3...
The macOS 12 Monterey Public Beta is now available. Apple wants as many users as possible to test macOS Monterey to provide constructive feedback before the official release later this fall. To participate in the free Public Beta, you must enroll in the Apple Beta Software Program using your...
Today at WWDC Apple previewed the next major revision to its macOS operating system, macOS 12 Monterey. The new version of macOS has updated core features such as Universal Control, Airplay for Mac, Shortcuts, and Safari. A Developer Preview version will be available immediately for registered...
iMac Late 2015 and later Model Identifier: iMac16,1 Mac Pro Late 2013 and later Model Identifier: MacPro6,1 iMac Pro 2017 and later Model Identifier: iMacPro1,1 Mac mini Late 2014 and later Model Identifier: Macmini7,1 MacBook Air Early 2015 and later Model Identifier: MacBookAir7,1...