Contribute
Register

Update Directly to macOS High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading a few of these threads, I'm now afraid to attempt the direct update from Sierra to HighSierra :(
• I have backed up using CC
• Bought a new 16GB USB to copy files
• Erased and formatted USB
• Downloaded Unibeast to setup USB - when I get to next step to Choose High Sierra, the icon remains faded out and i cannot click to continue.
• I was able to d/l 10.13.6 from the apple site, but now I'm stuck. Do I even need the USB?

BTW even though I am running a SSD I prefer this method: Update Directly to macOS High Sierra (HFS+)

Thank you for the hard work.
Inked96949148_795290284328431_5001378386992431104_n_LI.jpg

Established users of macOS Sierra who wish to update directly to macOS High Sierra can do so just like a regular Mac would. These fully native methods require no USB creation or preparation and allow you to keep all of your files and settings.​

Before you begin, we strongly recommend performing a full backup of your existing system using Carbon Copy Cloner. By doing this, you can always go back to your working macOS Sierra installation.

Guide: Update Directly to macOS High Sierra (APFS)
Apple is now using APFS (Apple File System) instead of HFS+ for the default file system in macOS High Sierra for solid state drives. If you have a SSD, this guide will auto-convert it to APFS by default. Users with traditional 'spinning' hard disk drives will remain on HFS+ by default. Using APFS with Clover requires copying the apfs.efi file from the installer to your Clover EFI. If you would like to update without converting to APFS use the HFS+ guide below.

1. Update your existing Clover install to v4173+ using MultiBeast or official Clover package.​
2. Open Clover configuration folder on the root of your system drive or EFI Partition using EFI Mounter v3. Copy FakeSMC.kext and any other extra necessary kexts to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/. If you need essential kexts, download them here.​
3. Copy apfs.efi to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/.​
4. Download Install macOS High Sierra Application from the Mac App Store. When complete, the app will open. Please note, the Application will disappear after use.​
5. Choose system drive for install (Example: Macintosh HD). When complete, the computer will automatically reboot.​
6. At Clover boot screen, choose Boot macOS Install option (Example: Boot macOS Install from Macintosh HD). Choosing your system drive will go back to your previous installation without updating.​
7. Complete the installation process- the computer will automatically reboot a few times.​
8. At Clover boot screen, choose Boot macOS option (Example: Boot macOS from Macintosh HD). The computer will then complete the update.​
this one worked for me! thank you for this such a good guide!

I have an SSD for my Operating System, but an HDD for everything in "Accounts". Should I follow through with this update?

I have procrastinated updating from Sierra to High Sierra because I initially wanted to skip the update and go directly to Mojave, but shortly after discovered that my Graphics Card is no longer supported. I have considered eventually trading out my graphics card, so that I may finally make the update, however, as I am starting to run into software compatibility issues. If I do this, and eventually am able to upgrade to the latest OS, will this transition be necessary?

So does this mean Catalina does not support HDD's?

Thank you.

So does this mean Catalina does not support HDD's?
There are many iMacs, lower end at least, that still have HDDs and can run macOS Catalina. The problems are related to using an HDD as a boot drive. If so, it gets converted to APFS and is really slow to boot. Here's a 21.5" iMac with HDD. Who in their right mind would pay $1,100 dollars for this ? A 7th gen laptop CPU ? Mechanical HDD ? The MBA 2020 is a lot faster than this is.

Screen_Shot_18.png

Last edited:
There are many iMacs, lower end at least, that still have HDDs and can upgrade to Catalina. The problems are related to using an HDD as a boot drive. If so, it gets converted to APFS and is really slow to boot.

Oh, so because my boot drive is an SSD and I just use an HDD for my files, I should be okay?

Oh, so because my boot drive is an SSD and I just use an HDD for my files, I should be okay?
If you have an SSD boot drive that is APFS and a HDD that is HFS+ that will present issues when your Home folder is on the HFS+ HDD. I've never tried that so I don't have any direct experience in regard to what happens. I certainly wouldn't want a HDD formatted as APFS due to the lagginess. iMacs with Fusion drives have proven to get really slow when they use APFS. See: https://blog.macsales.com/43043-using-apfs-on-hdds-and-why-you-might-not-want-to/

You could replace the HDD with another SSD so that both drives work well with APFS.

Last edited:
Any issues I should take note of in 2020 going from El Capitan to High Sierra for my build?

I would say just be aware of the HSF+ to APFS file-system conversion, especially if you're using an HDD over an SSD for your OS boot-drive.

______
Otherwise, update from my previous post. I tried to implement the HSF+ retention process upon my update from Sierra to High Sierra, but for some reason it didn't work and my system changed to APFS anyway. Only the boot-SSD that I have my OS on converted, though, not the HDD that I have all my data (everything in "Accounts") on, so kinda weird, but happened. Since the change, I have actually experienced NO NOTICEABLE NEGATIVE DIFFERENCE! Nothing has slowed down, like others have said when they've converted their solo HDDs, and I actually feel like my system is running so much better than it was on regular Sierra, overall. .....when I tell the system to shut down, it also actually shuts my entire computer down, rather than just killing the OS and rebooting in Clover, pfft, so although minuscule, that's kind of nice, too. XD Hehe.

But yeah, note to future readers, if you have your OS on a boot SSD, but all your data on an HDD, the APFS conversion doesn't appear to cause any noticeable problems or delay!

Otherwise, I did get a new SSD to move all my HDD data over to very shortly here, so we'll see how much better it runs after I make that swap out, hopefully this weekend. All in due time.

Only the boot-SSD that I have my OS on converted, though, not the HDD that I have all my data (everything in "Accounts")
High Sierra was not yet converting HDDs to APFS so that is normal. It was only converting SSDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back