Contribute
Register

Update Directly to macOS High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I’m doing a new High Sierra install on my 500GB Samsung Evo ssd but after I choose to install into it, after rebooting I don’t see two icons; external and internal, I only see external. So I cannot finish my install. Any ideas. Using MacPro 2011 config.
Thank you all.

thank you I will try to install it now!!

Thanks, is downloading High Sierra now,
My first experience with hack.
I gonna need your support obviously :beachball:

Hello!
Finally try the install, and in clover i select boot form macos intall the screen and cpu fall in coma, never start again, nothing, i make the tutorial step by step and dont start, black screen and nothing.

Some recommendation or tip?

Yikes! Help!

In preparation to update from Sierra to High Sierra, I copied apfs.efi to the EFI folder and I updated Clover (using Clover), though it was already past the required version. I figured I'd better reboot so that the updated Clover was in effect. Well, the machine is now stuck on the gray Apple-logo screen.

I booted to Linux and removed the apfs.efi file, but I'm having the problem persists. What should I look for or how should I circumvent the stuck booting?

Update: Turned out that the problem was the Clover update bug which erased an EFI driver that was needed.

Last edited:
Hi guys! I need some help.
I try to update my installation of macOS Sierra to macOS High Sierra using this guide, but I stuck on this screen:

I follow all steps, put kexts on "/EFI/Clover/kexts/Other", and apfs.efi under "/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/".
I try with verbose mode (-v), safe mode (-x) and still fails.

Can anybody help me please?
Thanks.

just adding my info here:
Z77X-UD5H + i7 3770 + 850 Pro SSD + Nvidia 1060, Sierra → High Sierra
  • Backed up my Clover config plist
  • Updated Clover to latest version (that stopped my system volume booting)
  • Copied "OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi" to CLOVER/drivers64EFI/ to fix boot issue
  • Also copied "apfs.efi" to the EFI partition.
  • Used the High Sierra Patcher to download the full 10.3.6 install image since Mac App Store wouldn't give me a High Sierra installer, Apple's direct link gave me the small 20MB one, thus startosinstall would keep crashing.
  • From the full installer, used startosinstall --converttoapfs NO
  • Then it would get stuck on the Apple logo until I configured Clover to drop the MATS table. Did it on the fly from Clover's boot menu, a few times, basically on every reboot, until I could launch the configurator within macOS. I think the install rebooted once to that same partition, then to the target volume. It took a while.
  • Used Multibeast to install a more recent copy of FakeSMC and plugins, also network adapter kexts for both my LAN adapters. Got the Intel one to work first. Looking into the Atheros.
  • With my internet connection back on, I could update NVidia's web driver
  • Installed latest security update. That rebooted once or twice but I let it boot automatically, no intervention.
  • Then I updated NVidia's web driver again, updated other App Store software
  • In HwMonitor, verified that my CPU cores' frequencies scale up and down as they should
Note I don't use sleep at all, so there could be some things still missing. The above gets you to a baseline functioning system, even a little past that. Hope it's useful.

Last edited:
Thanks you for the useful guide. It eventually worked for my GA-Z77N-WIFI after some 'dead ends'! I used the APFS route.

In my view the safest approach is to use Multibeast recommended for High Sierra. I would avoid using the latest Clover approach (from sourceforge.net) as it disabled my boot up (I could not even get into my complete system backup USB drive). Thanks to my original Sierra USB install USB I was able to boot back to my Sierra system drive and fixed Clover by using MultiBeast 10.4.0!

One thing: the whole process took at least 3.5 hours!!!

Thanks for the guide, i'm following the HFS+ version but by the time i get to step 6 my OS X Sierra drive disappears from Clover boot manager (v. 5099) and a High Sierra install drive doesn't show up either. I'm now stuck with various windows partitions with no way to access OS X, is there any way around this? I have FakeSMC in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ and can see/edit my EFI partition directly from windows if that helps.

Hello everybody. I'm on Sierra at the moment but I need to update to High Sierra because a software compatibility issue.
One little doubt: having an SSD and an HDD, I suppose I will have to continue with the HSF+. Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back