Contribute
Register

Update Directly to macOS High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you need a USB stick to do the Direct Update? It says in first post no USB creation needed but mine boots up with out showing macOS install drive.
No, you do not create a USB install drive for a Direct Update. Download the update from Apple and run it. It will reboot your computer a few times, booting from an install partition it creates during the update process.

Is it still possible to get a High Sierra install somehow? I need to update from Sierra in order to update XCode but I don't want to use Mojave due to the missing NVidia drivers. But High Sierra is not in the App Store anymore..

Ah sorry and thanks! The App Store search only gave me Mojave as a result.. getting the link from the Apple webpage works.

After updating from sierra to high sierra screen was like this and everything was working fine on sierra but after updating screen was like this. Any suggestions how to fix it ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 198
After updating from sierra to high sierra screen was like this and everything was working fine on sierra but after updating screen was like this. Any suggestions how to fix it ?
This is a Desktop forum, your post is off topic.
For help with a Laptop you should post in the relevant Laptop Support forum.

A little help here... when I try to download High Sierra from the the Mac App store (from the link found on post #834), the download is only 22.7 MB for v.13.6.02.
Is this correct? If not, how do I gain access to the full GBs install file?

UPDATE:
Problem Solved. I was able to use a different Mac and download the full installer.

Last edited:
A little help here... when I try to download High Sierra from the the Mac App store (from the link found on post #834), the download is only 22.7 MB for v.13.6.02.
Is this correct? If not, how do I gain access to the full GBs install file?

UPDATE:
Problem Solved. I was able to use a different Mac and download the full installer.

I'm having the same problem, but have tried on two different Macs and still have the same ~22mb download and not the full High Sierra install app. On a backup drive I do have a copy of High Sierra installer 10.13.3 however Multibeast says it is only compatible with 13.4+ so I think I need a newer version. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: searched and may have found a solution here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...cted-mac-os-x-installer-is-incomplete.249330/

Update: Solved. Leave the 22mb Installer file in place in Applications, run the update from that small installer file and instead of reboooting when it asks you to, exit the Installer program, then run the commands in Terminal (use the commands suggested in post #35 in the thread in my Edit comment) and it seems to work, building a 5.21Gb High Sierra installer app.

Last edited:
Hello,
I followed the first post of Tony to direct upgrade my 10.12.6 installation.
I had an issue after booting on new high Sierra system drive. It was only possible to boot in safe mode and i hadn't EFI partition. I found a post in other thread who said to update the lilu.kext. The update of lilu 1.3.1 solved this issue.
It's for those who boot only in safe mode and haven't EFI partition

I had el capitan, tried to update to high Sierra by using this guide, but got stuck at point 7, it keeps rebooting.
I have bios set to AHCIand fast reboot disabled.
Does anyone know how to fix this?

My setup:
Psu :Evega super nova 650 p2
Ram: crucial ballistrix elite 16 GB
Motherboard: Asus z170a
Pci: asus thunderboltex 3
Gpu: internal (asus z170a)
Psu: intel i7 6700k
Ssd: Samsung 850 evo 500 GB ( 2 för Windows and One for Mac os)
Hd Seagate barracuda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back