Contribute
Register

Update Directly to macOS High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Download Install macOS High Sierra Application from the Mac App Store. When complete, the app will open. Please note, the Application will disappear after use.

I've already downloaded the Install macOS High Sierra Application from the Mac App Store. But I copied it to another hard drive. However now it's no longer exist in my Application. In this case can't I upgrade to High Sierra without loosing my internet data because I already have the installer.

I've already downloaded the Install macOS High Sierra Application from the Mac App Store. But I copied it to another hard drive. However now it's no longer exist in my Application. In this case can't I upgrade to High Sierra without loosing my internet data because I already have the installer.
If I understand you correctly, just copy the installer back to you Application folder and run it. You'll have a copy in that other location for backup.

I just updated my machine from El Capitan to High Sierra using this guide.
I had a few issues, and maybe this will help someone else:

1) I did not convert my SSD to APFS. I have heard some horror stories about doing this, and I didn't see any advantage to it. So, I used the "skip conversion to APFS" section of this guide.

2) I did not update any kexts except for FakeSMC. I used the latest Multibeast to update Clover, and set it to boot from UEFI. Clover wants to change the system definition, so I put it back to one I know works (iMac 12,1)

3) The installer got stuck on a black screen with a white Apple. That issue was solved by checking "FixHeaders" in Clover Configurator. Once that was checked, the installation proceeded with no issues.

4) iCloud didn't work after the update. It had worked before, but something must be more picky in H.S. I had to re-generate a serial number, board serial number, and UUID using this guide:
How to Fix iMessage | tonymacx86.com
After rebooting, I was able to log back into iCloud.
NOTE: if iCloud is not working, and you were using iCloud keychain, most email accounts stop working, and can't be logged into!

After those steps, everything seems to be working correctly.

Established users of macOS Sierra who wish to update directly to macOS High Sierra can do so just like a regular Mac would. These fully native methods require no USB creation or preparation and allow you to keep all of your files and settings.
I am a bit rusty here, I already have a working Sierra Installation, this means that I can just download and apply the update without need to doing anything else? or I need to follow this guide?
thanks!

Finally going to update to High Sierra.

I downloaded the latest version of Clover Bootloader (2.4k_r4658) which seems, unsurprisingly, to supersede the version Post #1. Can you please confirm that I am able to update to HS using this latest version of Clover.

Thanks

where the sam h is this V4173 ?? is this the rehab clover forks of the boot loader ?
Did you ever get this question answered? I keep checking and I have Clover v2.4k_r4658. Thats the version that downloads from the link and I'm stuck. Any help would be appreciated!

@Texangeek and @ChrisLCrawford,

Use the appropriate Clover v2.4k_r4586 installer > Downloads > Clover Builds. We've not yet seen the need to updated beyond 4586.

Nvidia graphics card users need to use the "with Emulated NVRAM".

@Texangeek and @ChrisLCrawford,

Use the appropriate Clover v2.4k_r4586 installer > Downloads > Clover Builds. We've not yet seen the need to updated beyond 4586.

Nvidia graphics card users need to use the "with Emulated NVRAM".

@Stork thank you! I'm having another issue and am hoping you could help.

I have been able to relaunch the previous version OS and installed Clover v2.4k_r4586 as instructed. I double checked to be sure all files are in place, as instructed as well. However, when I choose to Boot macOS Install from Macintosh HD, I get the Apple logo that loads a little less than half way and the machine reboots. When it reboots, my motherboard shows "AE" on the LED display and my monitor only shows a blinking white bar in the top left corner. It will not go back to clover. I have to reboot the machine to get back to Clover and the cycle continues.

Any suggestions?

@Stork thank you! I'm having another issue and am hoping you could help.

I have been able to relaunch the previous version OS and installed Clover v2.4k_r4586 as instructed. I double checked to be sure all files are in place, as instructed as well. However, when I choose to Boot macOS Install from Macintosh HD, I get the Apple logo that loads a little less than half way and the machine reboots. When it reboots, my motherboard shows "AE" on the LED display and my monitor only shows a blinking white bar in the top left corner. It will not go back to clover. I have to reboot the machine to get back to Clover and the cycle continues.

Any suggestions?
"Boot macOS Install from Macintosh HD" is left over from your previous installation (unless you're installing). Just select "Boot from Macintosh HD" (or something like that).

During the installation for Sierra & High Sierra, the installing process boots three times:
- Two times from "Boot macOS Install from..."
- Last time from "Boot from Install Drive" which is your "Macintosh HD".​

Hopefully, that answered your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back