Contribute
Register

Update Directly to macOS High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see FakeSMS.kext neither in S/L/E nor in EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI.
Wrong name and wrong locations.
FakeSMC.kext should be in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other on the EFI partition and in /Library/Extensions on the system partition.

You are right, @P1LGRIM . The name was of course a typo, but the location was wrong. Either way, just want to say that update to 10.13.6 (HFS+) went smooth. But the audio is gone. I think I saw in one of the replies (among 80+ pages) some links to audio issues fixes, could you give a hint? If that's a common problem, maybe the links should be added to the first post?

OnFakeSMC.kext, shall one keep it in EFI partition after update (in addition to the one in /L/E)?

I think I saw in one of the replies (among 80+ pages) some links to audio issues fixes, could you give a hint?
For assistance with Audio you should post in the Audio forum.
Read the 'sticky' guides first and be sure to comply with the Problem Reporting instructions or you will not get any help.

OnFakeSMC.kext, shall one keep it in EFI partition after update (in addition to the one in /L/E)?
One should indeed as then it allows access to the recovery partition and some updates need it there too as they will not access it in /Library/Extensions.
It is also a good idea to add your network kext there too.

thanks, I sorted out audio. Last question: I can't mount EFI partition after the update. It was HFS+ update, so I don't use AFS. I usually mount with Clover Configurator, but neither old version I used nor the most recent one can mount EFI.

UPDATE: strangely enough, EFI Mounter v3 worked. No idea why other methods stoped working...

Last edited:
I get blank grey screen after install is completed, it might have something to do that it's not finding/loading the kexts etc.

I used to have problem that computer didn't boot without the installation usb-disk mounted but I was able to fix it somehow and don't have the disk anymore. I was thinking that maybe this problem might be related to that?

Can someone point me to direction how I could fix this problem? I'm not very good with this Hackingtosh thing but usually I get everything working with some trial and error :)

Download Install macOS High Sierra Application from the Mac App Store. When complete, the app will open. Please note, the Application will disappear after use.

I've already downloaded the Install macOS High Sierra Application from the Mac App Store. But I copied it to another hard drive. However now it's no longer exist in my Application. In this case can't I upgrade to High Sierra without loosing my internet data because I already have the installer.

I've already downloaded the Install macOS High Sierra Application from the Mac App Store. But I copied it to another hard drive. However now it's no longer exist in my Application. In this case can't I upgrade to High Sierra without loosing my internet data because I already have the installer.
If I understand you correctly, just copy the installer back to you Application folder and run it. You'll have a copy in that other location for backup.

I just updated my machine from El Capitan to High Sierra using this guide.
I had a few issues, and maybe this will help someone else:

1) I did not convert my SSD to APFS. I have heard some horror stories about doing this, and I didn't see any advantage to it. So, I used the "skip conversion to APFS" section of this guide.

2) I did not update any kexts except for FakeSMC. I used the latest Multibeast to update Clover, and set it to boot from UEFI. Clover wants to change the system definition, so I put it back to one I know works (iMac 12,1)

3) The installer got stuck on a black screen with a white Apple. That issue was solved by checking "FixHeaders" in Clover Configurator. Once that was checked, the installation proceeded with no issues.

4) iCloud didn't work after the update. It had worked before, but something must be more picky in H.S. I had to re-generate a serial number, board serial number, and UUID using this guide:
How to Fix iMessage | tonymacx86.com
After rebooting, I was able to log back into iCloud.
NOTE: if iCloud is not working, and you were using iCloud keychain, most email accounts stop working, and can't be logged into!

After those steps, everything seems to be working correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back