Contribute
Register

Update Directly to macOS High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated directly from 10.12.6 to 10.13.4 on my Gigabyte Z77X with GTX1050.
I discovered that I had to add FixHeaders=true to config.plist. Without this fix, I got stuck at apple logo.

hi
im using mac on Asus X450 LC ,
HDD

current os version is 10.12.2 , as I want to run the command in step4 for disabling APFS, I get this message on terminal:

could not get license agreement

what should I do?

I was also getting this error :
Error: could not get license agreement

when running the terminal command -
/Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --converttoapfs NO'

Reason:
for me, the app store downloaded the 'Install macOS High Sierra' mini-installer which is about 20mb.

Solution:
You need the complete installer (about 5 Gig) and 'startosinstall --converttoapfs NO' works.

I've got a system that is about a year old, that had been running Sierra. An upgrade to High Sierra was necessary to run the latest Final Cut Pro.

The first attempt, including APFS conversion, failed with the error "file system verify or repair failed." Thankfully, I followed the recommendation and used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the system drive before starting. I also made a copy of the contents of the EFI partition. I booted off my original Sierra USB install drive to reformat the SSD, which allowed me to use Multibeast to make a new EFI partition and copy the EFI backup over. Then a quick restore from the CCC backup and my SSD root disk was happy once again.

The second time, I followed the alternative instructions (HFS+ not APFS) and things worked perfectly.

I wanted to post my results, as I could find very little regarding the "file system verify or repair failed" error.

Thanks!

My system:

GIGABYTE GA_Z170X,
Skylake i7-6700K
32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series memory
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1050Ti Video
Crucial MX300 525GB SSD system drive
WD Black 2TB drive
recently added WD Red 3TB drive for Time machine and CCC backups

I tried to do the update from Sierra to High Sierra.
But the progress bar stops on the last 10-20%.

Do I can see a kind of log file to know what is going wrong?

Thanks

Hello, I used this method Guide: Update Directly to macOS High Sierra (APFS), all right, restart, select Boot from Install, it took 30 minutes to install High Sierra, restart again, but it did not start, give me the following.

Guide: Update Directly to macOS High Sierra (APFS)
Apple is now using APFS (Apple File System) instead of HFS+ for the default file system in macOS High Sierra for solid state drives. If you have a SSD, this guide will auto-convert it to APFS by default. Users with traditional 'spinning' hard disk drives will remain on HFS+ by default. Using APFS with Clover requires copying the apfs.efi file from the installer to your Clover EFI. If you would like to update without converting to APFS use the HFS+ guide below.

OK 1. Update your existing Clover install to v4173+ using MultiBeast or official Clover package.

OK 2. Open Clover configuration folder on the root of your system drive or EFI Partition using EFI Mounter v3. Copy FakeSMC.kext and any other extra necessary kexts to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/. If you need essential kexts, download them here.

OK 3. Copy apfs.efi to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/.

OK 4. Download Install macOS High Sierra Application from the Mac App Store. When complete, the app will open. Please note, the Application will disappear after use.

OK 5. Choose system drive for install (Example: Macintosh HD). When complete, the computer will automatically reboot.

OK 6. At Clover boot screen, choose Boot macOS Install option (Example: Boot macOS Install from Macintosh HD). Choosing your system drive will go back to your previous installation without updating.

After 6: NOT BOOTING: boot0af: error

7. Complete the installation process- the computer will automatically reboot a few times.

8. At Clover boot screen, choose Boot macOS option (Example: Boot macOS from Macintosh HD). The computer will then complete the update.

Any suggestions? All that remained was to finish the last part.

Attachments

• IMG_2610.jpg
    IMG_2610.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 141
Please update first post to mention this

Copy apfs.efi to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/
Copy apfs.efi to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64/

I found that clover did not see my high sierra boot partition until I added this line..

Copy apfs.efi to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64/

Thanks!!! It was very useful! and I managed to finish my upgrade to High Sierra!

Thanks!!! It was very useful! and I managed to finish my upgrade to High Sierra!
Damn.. I might've needed to do that. Had to go back to my carbon copy of sierra.

I faced several issues while upgrading to 10.13.5 on an nvme. Might be helpful for people facing them as well.

Solved:
1. kextd stall 'AppleACPICPU' error. : To solve this I had to copy AppleACPIPlatform.kext from System/Library/Extensions to EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other

2. Make sure FakeSMC.kext exists at EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other

3. For no sound after install, I managed to fix it by running kextbeast and installing only audio codecs for my particular chipset.

Unsolved:
1. Still having an issue of "superblock indicates jumpstart record..." on every boot up. I've figured this is related to apfs logging. Will post/link a solution when I find it.

2. Clover has yellow/black strip icons for apfi volumes. I've figured this is due to some missing icons for apfs based clover volumes. Will try to figure this out too.

3. Have 2 additional clover entries for "Boot Install Prebooter for Preboot" and "Boot FileVault Prebooter from Preboot". I'm not sure what their purpose is but I will search around and remove them only after I know they're useless/junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back