Contribute
Register

Update Directly to macOS High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upgraded directly from El Capitan 10.11.6 to High Sierra.

Cloned a new SSD using Carbon Copy Cloner. Could not get the clone to boot. After a some time of pulling my hair out for a while I stumbled on changing the boot order in the BIOS. After that the entire update took less than 30 minutes. Had to enable sound (first time ever) with MultiBeast. Everything else works fine. Nice not having to start over reinstalling everything and customizing my Hack.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. Play/pause, advance and go back buttons on keyboard do not always work unless active window is in view. Sounds cuts out for a second every few minutes. Worst of all the system keeps crashing. Pretty bummed.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I updated from 10.12 to 10.13 and i'm stuck at an endless spinner. The update seems to have went well but it fails to boot into the GUI. The progress bar under the apple logo loads all the way up to 90% then show me the mouse and a spinner which crashes and then another one starts and so on and so forth.
Edit: I can get it to boot in safe mode.

Gigabyte H87N-Wifi
120gb SSD
i3-4130
MSI Nvidia 630

Last edited:
Hey Stork... I've been putting off the upgrade maybe too long :) just found out that App Store no longer offers Sierra upgrade, only High Sierra. So I thought I would have a try at upgrading (from El Cap 10.11.6); did a bit of reading, put FakeSMC.kext where it should go, read the guide on "how not to upgrade to apfs" and then tried to DL High Sierra from App Store.

Unexpected roadblock! App Store refused to download it: said 10.13.3 would not run on my Mac! Hmmm. I am wondering why it thinks that. Could it have something to do with the mac model that I claim to be? I have been pretending to be a Mac Pro (early 2008) and perhaps this is on the list of "too old to run HS".

Can you tell me if there is a safe later mac model to emulate? And, er, this is kind of embarrassing, but can you remind me where that model id gets set? It's been a loooong time since I first built and configured this machine :) which is why I'm very nervous about attempting the upgrade. I do have a Recovery partition in case things go sideways, but have forgotten so much about the original setup now...

[update] found this clue in another thread: "Going forward we're going to be using iMac14,2 system definition as our standard universal default. This is used in UniBeast 7.0 and for default MultiBeast 9.0 installations." So I guess that answers part 1 of my question: the current "safe" model number. As to Part 2, I have found some instructions that remind me how to use Clover Configurator :) However, I have no idea what will happen (break, that is) if I change my current Mac Pro 3,1 to iMac14,2 (continuing to google). Finding several scary stories of folks who changed their sysdef and then could not boot, so... more looking needed before leaping.

Last edited:
Tazling
Boot into your El Capitan build, use the MultiBeast for El Capitan to change you SMBIOS from (probably) MacPro 3,1 to iMac14,2 which I use with Gene. Run MultiBeast and just select:
Customize > System Definitions > iMac > iMac14,2
Build > Install​
After MultiBeast completes, reboot and check to see if all is well.

Now you can update to High Sierra. HS 10.13.4 will be released shortly. It fixes a lot of bugs in HS. I recommend you wait a few days and update to 10.13.4. :thumbup:

@Stork many thanks, you're very kind and patient with the amateur Hackintosh builder (I mean those of us for whom hacking the Hackie is not the hobby, we just build it and then use it and pray it doesn't break). Should I get the latest greatest Multibeast for El Cap since mine is now pretty old?

@Stork many thanks, you're very kind and patient with the amateur Hackintosh builder (I mean those of us for whom hacking the Hackie is not the hobby, we just build it and then use it and pray it doesn't break). Should I get the latest greatest Multibeast for El Cap since mine is now pretty old?
Yes. Always use the latest version of MultiBeast for El Capitan which is version 8.2.3.

Good luck!

@Stork success! multibeast DL'd, change made, reboot, no apparent difference to El Cap, no weirdness of any kind. Much relief here. I am pretty much ready to go with latest Clover installed [themes, wow] and FakeSMC kext in "Other"... thanks for the advice on waiting for the next release from Apple. Now, since I trust you to know everything & be always right... can you tell me when the price of GTX10-series video cards is finally going to return to sanity...? :) just kidding...

BTW 10.13.4 is now in its 7th beta... [sound of fingers impatiently tapping]

Last edited:
Hi, I tried to direct update following instructions from the first post from 10.12.6 which I direct updated from 10.11.3 some time ago. I followed all the steps, changed my HMac definition to iMac 14,2 which it shows on Clover but after a few moments after trying to install I get the Black Screen with slashed circle. Maybe my Build is too old already? Any advice? Thanks!
Aconcagua
GA-P55-UD3P | i7 870 | GeForce GT 240

Last edited:
Upgraded directly from Sierra 10.12.6 to High Sierra (HDD option) with no problems, had to install new Nvidia drivers and sound drivers. Thanks for the support and great work guys! :)

I followed the guide. It went fine in the beginning. After it restarted a couple of times, it got stuck in the Apple logo. I tried the verbose mode and tried to set nv_disable=1. It doesn't work. On the clover page, it had a new icon "boot FireVault Prebooter from Preboot". I tried that also, got Apple logo also.

Attachments

• IMG_7206.JPG
    IMG_7206.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 271
  • IMG_C1E219A3FF67-1.jpeg
    IMG_C1E219A3FF67-1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 255
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back