Contribute
Register

Update Directly to macOS High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Laudrup, for using the Direct Update procedures, you need to move the FakeSMC from /L/E/ to .../kexts/other/. Normally, if you've used UniBeast/MultiBeast before, the .../other/ folder is empty; MultiBeast puts it's kexts in /L/E/ folder. However, for this Direct Update only, move them to .../other/ folder.

After the Update, run MultiBeast v10 for Sierra with your complete MultiBeast configuration. After the MultiBeast installation is through, don't reboot, yet, but remove the kexts you put in .../other/ folder. Next, update your Nvidia dirvers. Now, reboot. :thumbup:
Thank you Stork! Just to be sure: the kext can be moved from one directory to the other within finder with drag&drop ... no rebuild of system caches etc necessary? By running MultiBeast a new copy of FakeSMC.kext will be installed automatically in /L/E/ folder?
Thanks in advance :)

Thank you Stork! Just to be sure: the kext can be moved from one directory to the other within finder with drag&drop ... no rebuild of system caches etc necessary? By running MultiBeast a new copy of FakeSMC.kext will be installed automatically in /L/E/ folder?
Thanks in advance :)
When you move kexts from /L/E/ folder to the .../kexts/ folder, you can just drag and drop without the need for KextBeast - Clover takes care of making the kexts work properly.

When you run a complete MultiBeast for HS, new kexts will be put in /L/E/ folder. So, as I stated above, you must remove (trash) the kexts in .../other/ folder before rebooting.

Stork, thanks again for your explanations. I did as you described ... and can now boot into macOS 10.13.1. However, something didn't go the expected way: NVIDIA web driver are up to date but cannot be activated. Or better to say after rebooting things are back to macOS default drivers :|. config.plist is the same as before.
Also, I noticed that in clover boot menu there are to additional entries. Both stating something with "preboot". I suppose they are linked to the installation. Any ideas about what I could have done wrong? Any suggestions are warmly welcome :)

Stork, thanks again for your explanations. I did as you described ... and can now boot into macOS 10.13.1. However, something didn't go the expected way: NVIDIA web driver are up to date but cannot be activated. Or better to say after rebooting things are back to macOS default drivers :|. config.plist is the same as before.
See slim.jim's guide, Problem #6, for a solution > Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems, or you could run MultiBeast for High Sierra and just select the following:
Bootloaders > Clover UEFI Boot Mode + Emulated NVRAM​
The problem lies with ASUS latest BIOSs stopped saving NVRAM between reboots so you have to use the Clover capability to make sure NVRAM carries over between reboots.
Also, I noticed that in clover boot menu there are to additional entries. Both stating something with "preboot". I suppose they are linked to the installation. Any ideas about what I could have done wrong? Any suggestions are warmly welcome :)
Ignore those other entries. They're due to APFS. There are some posts in High Sierra Desktop Support forum section that talk about those entries with possible solutions; I just ignore them. Speaking of the HS Desktop forum section, please post further problems there as this thread is not intended to be a help thread. TIA.

Problem solved, system up and running. :thumbup:
screenshot-system.png

After direct update i have no options Boot macOS Install or Boot macOS. I have only Boot Clover from EFI. I hadn't copied apfs.efi to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/. I think, that my system doesn't see SSD Disk. What should i do?

Last edited:
After direct update i have no options Boot macOS Install or Boot macOS. I have only Boot Clover from EFI. I hadn't copied apfs.efi to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/. I think, that my system doesn't see SSD Disk. What should i do?
Not a help thread, please create a new thread in the High Sierra forum section, also as per rules, please update your hardware profile

Thank you very much for these instructions. They did work for me, with the caveat that I had to remove the NVIDIA GTX 1080 card to complete the installation.

At first I was a bit perplexed by the following:

Copy FakeSMC.kext and any other extra necessary kexts to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/. If you need essential kexts, download them here.

I have been running a Hackintosh on Sierra for a year and this is the first time I hear about FakeSMC.kext or any other necessary kexts. And yet the description of FakeSMC.kext says that this is absolutely necessary, and I also had to put IntelGraphicsFixup.kext and Lilu.kext into /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ for the installation to complete, so it stands to reason that I had been using these all along.

I think it would be beneficial to provide a little explanation as to how one would go about determining which kexts are necessary. I am guessing that I have been blissfully unaware of any necessary kexts because Multibeast installed them for me. Is that true? If so, where were they installed? I did not have anything in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/, or in any other directory under /EFI/CLOVER/kexts before I started the High Sierra update... Is it possible to determine what kexts I was using for Sierra after I completed the High Sierra update?

I also think that using "necessary kexts" in the first sentence and "essential kexts" in the second sentence is confusing. I realize that "necessary" and "essential" mean pretty much the same thing but I had seriously considered the possibility that these are two different sets of kexts and I was wondering where I should put the "essential kexts" (given that the "necessary" ones go into
/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/, the "essential" ones probably go somewhere else, right???)

Last edited:
This was *totally* not obvious to me, and once I got through the install, all my drives had disappeared from the Clover loader. Luckily while I was installing, I came across your post and was able to use the shell to copy the file into /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64 and boom, back in business. I really appreciate you adding this tidbit into the forum, even if it only helps a few n00bs like us ;-)
I got same issue and it really scared me. I didn't do any backup. Thanks for lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back