Contribute
Register

Update Directly to macOS High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I experienced this issue when I upgraded with a legacy boot (non-UEFI). In the instructions it said:

Copy apfs.efi to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/

This does not appear to be accurate if you are not booting UEFI. I dropped into the shell from the clover boot screen and copied apfs.efi to my drivers64 folder instead and rebooted. It saw it and everything worked after that.

UPDATE: TO many, this is probably obvious, but I'm a total noob at this as of last Friday. I figured it out pretty quickly.

This was *totally* not obvious to me, and once I got through the install, all my drives had disappeared from the Clover loader. Luckily while I was installing, I came across your post and was able to use the shell to copy the file into /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64 and boom, back in business. I really appreciate you adding this tidbit into the forum, even if it only helps a few n00bs like us ;-)

This was *totally* not obvious to me, and once I got through the install, all my drives had disappeared from the Clover loader. Luckily while I was installing, I came across your post and was able to use the shell to copy the file into /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64 and boom, back in business. I really appreciate you adding this tidbit into the forum, even if it only helps a few n00bs like us ;-)

It's clearly noted in the directions on post #1.

Summary of some problems and how to solve them

I got my High Sierra running, thanks to several hints in many posts and after reading 67 pages of this thread ...
The update was from El Capitan to High Sierra

It was NOT flawless.
I want to contribute a small summary about the issues I faced and how they were solved:

Preparation:
------------
- Using Clover 4297 and Clover Configurator
- Setting SIP to 0x67 and Booter Config to 0x28
means in the config.plist:
<key>RtVariables</key>
<dict>
<key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
<string>0x3</string>
<key>BooterConfig</key>
<string>0x28</string>
</dict>

Guide used:
"Update Directly to macOS High Sierra"
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-high-sierra.232707/

Followed the part for APFS: "Guide: Update Directly to macOS High Sierra (APFS)"

First installer ran, then reboot, using Clover to select "Boot macOS Install" onthe target SSD

Problem 1:
------------
Now the problem : "MACH reboot" kernel panic appeared, as reported by several earlier in the thread.

Solution:
Add the drop tables option for MATS and DMAR

How: in Clover configurator, chose the ACPI screen, left side list with title "Drop Tables"
select MATS in the signature column, use + to ad another one, select DMAR, save your config.plist

The config.plist entry for this will look like this afterwards:
<key>APCI</key>
<key>DropTables</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Signature</key>
<string>MATS</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Signature</key>
<string>DMAR</string>
</dict>
</array>

Now the "Boot macOS Install" choice at Clover bootscreen went on without the MACH reload.
The window with the progress bar appeared and after a while the message ...

Problem 2:
------------
"macOS could not be installed on your computer.
The path /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg appears to be missing or damaged"

Solution:
I found it in this post:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-high-sierra.232707/page-64#post-1611797

Most probably it has to do with the fact, that I ran the installer from my SSD1, but updating SSD2.
To be sure, I re-ran everything from the target SSD.

Whatever, what really solved it, is explained in the post by johnf718:
"I copied the Packages folder from InstallESD.dmg to my OSX drive
/System/Installation/Packages
Read it somewhere on the net.
Not sure why it wasn’t mounting the InstallESD.dmg"

Took me a bit to figure out where this dmg is:
It is in the MacOS installer app (e.g. use Pacifist to extract it), but it was also in a folder on the root level of my drive, already extracted. This folder was obviously created by the installer app.
(sorry to be unprecise, seems it was cleaned away finally after the installer finished successfully. It was either the root folder of my SSD or the home folder of my user folder.)

My System folder did not have the "Installation" folder, so I created it, mounted the dmg and copied the packages folder over.

Now the installer ran through !!

Cleanup, post-installation setup:
-----------------------------------
Ran the script "audio_cloverALC-130_v0.3.command" from Toledo, had to be run as root
For infos, see here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/before-you-install-audio-desktop-realtek-applehda-guide.219810/
Download is from sourceforge (https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC)

Now my High Sierra is running with APFS, Audio working

Thanks to all moderators, contributors and those replying to others, incredible work.

(Side note, but not to be discussed here, just for completeness: due to the installation, my boot screen resolution problem is back.
I have a 3440x1440 monitor connected with DisplayPort. After a clear Clover theme, the apple with the progress bar appear distorted, as well as the login options.
I always have to login, guess where the control panels are, open Monitors and switch the resolution back and forth. Then it stays until the next boot.
But this is most probably not related to the High Sierra, had it with Yosemite and El Capitan too and why it went away in Yosemite is one of the riddles of mankind)

What I left away as problems is below, I hope I can safe some from this experience:
lost my original SSD content for a very strange reason after booting from a USB stick with CloneZilla on it,
don´t know anymore how often I rebooted, pressed the F12 key to select the boot device, unplugged disks,
through this messed up and fixed the boot sequence in the BIOS; did even a reset of the BIOS NVRAM when being stuck at the BIOS screen and nothing happening anymore etc. etc.)

I am having a doubt before upgrading to 10.13 and APFS. Perhaps you guys can help me out:
Post #1 says that FakeSMC.kext should be located on the efi-partion in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/. In my system that directory is empty. However, I found the mentioned kext in ~/Library/Extensions/ on the volume where macOS is installed. I can't quite recall why that is since I sat up the system some months ago.
So question is: how to handle this? Is it mandatory to have FakeSMC.kext installed in the EFI partition? Is there any disadvantage having it set up the way my system is?

Thanks in advance! :thumbup:

Laudrup, for using the Direct Update procedures, you need to move the FakeSMC from /L/E/ to .../kexts/other/. Normally, if you've used UniBeast/MultiBeast before, the .../other/ folder is empty; MultiBeast puts it's kexts in /L/E/ folder. However, for this Direct Update only, move them to .../other/ folder.

After the Update, run MultiBeast v10 for Sierra with your complete MultiBeast configuration. After the MultiBeast installation is through, don't reboot, yet, but remove the kexts you put in .../other/ folder. Next, update your Nvidia dirvers. Now, reboot. :thumbup:

No luck with apfs on

Asus P8Z68-V PRO.

Clover don‘t boot with apfs.efi placed in Drivers64UEFI.

Greetz Stinger
Same thing happened to me. How do I reverse that now to make clover load again?

Laudrup, for using the Direct Update procedures, you need to move the FakeSMC from /L/E/ to .../kexts/other/. Normally, if you've used UniBeast/MultiBeast before, the .../other/ folder is empty; MultiBeast puts it's kexts in /L/E/ folder. However, for this Direct Update only, move them to .../other/ folder.

After the Update, run MultiBeast v10 for Sierra with your complete MultiBeast configuration. After the MultiBeast installation is through, don't reboot, yet, but remove the kexts you put in .../other/ folder. Next, update your Nvidia dirvers. Now, reboot. :thumbup:
Thank you Stork! Just to be sure: the kext can be moved from one directory to the other within finder with drag&drop ... no rebuild of system caches etc necessary? By running MultiBeast a new copy of FakeSMC.kext will be installed automatically in /L/E/ folder?
Thanks in advance :)

Thank you Stork! Just to be sure: the kext can be moved from one directory to the other within finder with drag&drop ... no rebuild of system caches etc necessary? By running MultiBeast a new copy of FakeSMC.kext will be installed automatically in /L/E/ folder?
Thanks in advance :)
When you move kexts from /L/E/ folder to the .../kexts/ folder, you can just drag and drop without the need for KextBeast - Clover takes care of making the kexts work properly.

When you run a complete MultiBeast for HS, new kexts will be put in /L/E/ folder. So, as I stated above, you must remove (trash) the kexts in .../other/ folder before rebooting.

Stork, thanks again for your explanations. I did as you described ... and can now boot into macOS 10.13.1. However, something didn't go the expected way: NVIDIA web driver are up to date but cannot be activated. Or better to say after rebooting things are back to macOS default drivers :|. config.plist is the same as before.
Also, I noticed that in clover boot menu there are to additional entries. Both stating something with "preboot". I suppose they are linked to the installation. Any ideas about what I could have done wrong? Any suggestions are warmly welcome :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back