Contribute
Register

Update Directly to macOS High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I tried following the guide.
At the beginning everything looked fine.
I choose the install Mac partition.
But once it finishes, all I see is grey screen.
And nothing happens, I tried to hard reboot, and went through the same route, but same result.

I was then able to boot to my old system Sierra...

Can someone give me a tip?

Same problem....

Did you tried Lilu and WhateverGreen?
I have, no effect.

I now got myself a XFX R9 390X but that one also doesn't work. I now went back to Sierra but the 390x doesn't even work in Sierra now :(
Gonna put my 7970 back in the computer, can't be tinkering around with it forever.
Appreciate the help.

@RogueFive
thanks also for the tips.

I found a solution to "Install MacOS" not showing up in Clover. You may need to revert the drive from "Core Storage".
(sudo diskutil cs revert <UUID>)

I did that and it showed up and I've got a successful install of High Sierra with APFS on my SSD.

That would be a problem for those of us that have a FUSION drive setup, as you can't just remove CoreStorage without wiping out the Fusion Drive.

Ugh. Time for a total backup and fresh install.

For folks like me on legacy setups who didn't see the suggestion that "3. Copy apfs.efi to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/" should instead be copied to "/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64/", this guide still works fine but your ssd won't become formatted in APFS, it stays HFS+.

To fix this post installation (ie to format it APFS) without starting again from scratch, do this: boot into recovery (from clover), go into disk utility, highlight your named High Sierra drive, unmount it, go to Edit>Convert to APFS. It takes a couple of minutes. When done, you're good, reboot as normal.

Anyone know how to change the Clover settings to correctly say "High Sierra" (name of my drive) instead of this "internal_hfs"?

It was named correctly after HS was freshly installed following this guide, but it changed to internal_hfs itself after I converted the drive from HFS+ to APFS in recovery (see post above). Strange.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 10.43.34.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 10.43.34.png
    445.3 KB · Views: 191
Downloaded today's official High Sierra Update. Performed a direct update from 10.12.6. First updated Clover to v2.4k r4220, and then followed APFS guide above. Everything seems to be working with the exception of audio. I then downloaded and ran audio_cloverALC-130_v0.3.command, rebooted and my audio devices were now there. :) Thanks Toleda!
Later on I discovered my USB 3.0 ports weren't working. Downloaded USBinjectAll.kext and modified config.plist with the new raise port edits for High Sierra. Working now. Thanks tonymacx86! :)

View attachment 280452

View attachment 280453

View attachment 280456

Did what you said here and everything has been running smoothly for two days now.

Been getting random restarts with Sierra, none happened with High Sierra by now. Hope it's a score.

LATER EDIT : Nope, false alarm. Just got another restart.

Last edited:
The update went smooth on my build, I just had to reapply audio patch.

Thanks !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back