Contribute
Register

Update Directly to macOS High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I updated to High Sierra 10.13 17A405 with no major problems from Sierra 10.12.6 directly and using the new APFS file system after I cloned my HD using Carbon Copy Cloner (and made sure I could boot from the cloned drive) and also did a TM backup!
Observations:
  • First time I used Siri, I had a complete crash! Rebooted... no problems now. (Maybe she didn't like me reciting Mary had a little lamb...), LOL
  • My Clover (rev 4243) using the embedded theme, is missing the hard disk Icons. I have no problem if I switch to the BDG? theme though.
  • My Clover also has a label for my macOS drive (used to be called macOS!) as internal_hfs. Not sure whats going on there.
  • My Clover also had 2 other internal_hfs drives: First one pointing at "Boot FileVault Prebooter from Preboot", second one "Boot macOS Install Prebooter from Preboot. I hid these in clover configurator's GUI section as "Preboot", rebooted and now just have internal_hfs (my macOS drive) and recovery.
    Does anyone now how to rename these or is it a issue with 10.13, or is it because the Icons are missing and internal_hfs is a label used when the Icon is missing??
  • I obviously had install the latest NVIDIA web drivers... they gave an error whilst installing, which I initially told it to stop installing. Tried again, same error something to do with it thought it had a problem installing, but I said go ahead make my day, and well several hours later after doing some serious Database ER modelling, playing iTunes, with visualiser going full tilt on second 4K screen, no problems.
  • I do have a problem with my Soundspectrum G-Force & Whitecap visualisers (versions though. Previously on Sierra, I had the same problem where they would only display in the top left quarter of the viz screen. Soundspectrum fixed with an update, and I have lodged a support ticket for this version of High Sierra 10.13.x.
  • I noticed that a beta version of HS is also now available, but I'll wait to it reaches release status before I try again.
  • Really the only the only thing I had trouble with is the Clover Icons, and the NVIDIAweb driver, and I lost my startup for some of the apps I run in the toolbar but that was a 2 second annoyance to fix.
Jim

Established users of macOS Sierra who wish to update directly to macOS High Sierra can do so just like a regular Mac would. These fully native methods require no USB creation or preparation and allow you to keep all of your files and settings.

Before you begin, we strongly recommend performing a full backup of your existing system using Carbon Copy Cloner. By doing this, you can always go back to your working macOS Sierra installation.

Guide: Update Directly to macOS High Sierra (APFS)
Apple is now using APFS (Apple File System) instead of HFS+ for the default file system in macOS High Sierra for solid state drives. If you have a SSD, this guide will auto-convert it to APFS by default. Users with traditional 'spinning' hard disk drives will remain on HFS+ by default. Using APFS with Clover requires copying the apfs.efi file from the installer to your Clover EFI. If you would like to update without converting to APFS use the HFS+ guide below.

1. Update your existing Clover install to v4173+ using MultiBeast or official Clover package.

2. Open Clover configuration folder on the root of your system drive or EFI Partition using EFI Mounter v3. Copy FakeSMC.kext and any other extra necessary kexts to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/. If you need essential kexts, download them here.

3. Copy apfs.efi to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/.

4. Download Install macOS High Sierra Application from the Mac App Store. When complete, the app will open. Please note, the Application will disappear after use.

5. Choose system drive for install (Example: Macintosh HD). When complete, the computer will automatically reboot.

6. At Clover boot screen, choose Boot macOS Install option (Example: Boot macOS Install from Macintosh HD). Choosing your system drive will go back to your previous installation without updating.

7. Complete the installation process- the computer will automatically reboot a few times.

8. At Clover boot screen, choose Boot macOS option (Example: Boot macOS from Macintosh HD). The computer will then complete the update.​
Funny I can't see the Boot macOS Install in clover, anyone know how to solve this??

For people who have problem with clover seeing the boot option for the newly installed macOS on the hard drive, please make sure you copy apfs.efi to the right location while making the installer stick, that is

If you use Clover UEFI,
Copy apfs.efi to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/

If you use Clover Legacy

Copy apfs.efi to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64/

I've successfully managed to install High Sierra, though it wasn't as easy in my particular case.

Things to note (and these may not apply to everyone): make sure you have the latest versions of your kexts installed (particularly FakeSMC & family, as well as Lilu, Shiki, and the Intel/NVidiaGraphicsFixup kexts if you use them), if you are installing the NVidiaWebDrivers, you might want to "touch" L/E and S/L/E before rebooting after installation (may not be necessary), and if you are using NVidiaWebLibVal.kext, be sure to remove that if you are also using the latest Fixup kext as the Fixup kext contains the former's code.

Failure to have the right kexts in place will cause KP's.

In the end, I didn't really have any problems with SIP. All my issues, I believe, were related to outdated kexts, and unnecessary kexts (for my system).

My main system SSD converted to APFS without a fuss.

Using GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD3H, I did the in place upgrade. Upon system start, I had to remove my NVIDIA card, booted on Intel graphics, installed web driver, reinstalled NVIDIA and it booted fine. There are artifacts on the screen at login, but they disappear when logged in. I had no sound. I re-ran MultiBeast ALC1150 driver with no luck. I installed CloverALC (https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC), restarted and sound is fine.

I am not sure about FakeSCM. Using MultiBeast it installed FakeSCM-v6.25-something ... But on the linked download page there is only v6.21-311-g2958f55.1723 available? Can I find the FakeSCM-v6.25 on my disk somewhere?

The problem is, I have tried to update to High Sierra, but it was stuck with a black screen for hours, so I aborted and now reinstalled Sierra freshly (only doing one inject for ALC1150), everything else is clean.

EDIT: I found the FakeSCM. After reboot the "Boot macOS" option shows the High Sierra icon. But then it loads and no matter if I boot with "-x" "-v -x" or no special option, the screen will when the bar is full turn black. The computer then seems to still be working (blinking CPU led) but never finish (waited about 4 hours and nothing changes).

I think I will stay with Sierra until a clean/fresh install guide is available.

Last edited:
I found the FakeSCM. After reboot the "Boot macOS" option shows the High Sierra icon. But then it loads and no matter if I boot with "-x" "-v -x" or no special option, the screen will when the bar is full turn black. The computer then seems to still be working (blinking CPU led) but never finish (waited about 4 hours and nothing changes).

I seem to have the same hardware setup (GA-Z170N-WIFI, Intel HD 530) and same symptoms as TheFox88. Screen turns black towards the end of the boot process. When using -v as boot option, it is not possible to read the last output lines before the screen turns black.

Anybody has any ideas? Appreciate your support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back